More Native Names for States

Riga, Latvia
The state of Tennessee is the 16th state and joined the Union in 1796. It was the first territory that was admitted as a state under the federal Constitution. At first it became known as the Territory South of the Ohio River. The name of the state was derived from the name of a Cherokee village called Tanasi. Its nickname is the “Volunteer State”. This nickname originated during the War of 1812 when volunteer soldiers from this state served under General Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans. The capital is Nashville and the state flower is the iris. Alabama was the 22nd state. Its name was derived from an Indian word meaning “thicket clearers”. This state has been the center of many different battles. It is home to the first of three Space Camps in the U.S. These camps let children find out what it would be like to be in outer space. The state’s nickname is the “Heart of Dixie”. The capital is Montgomery and the state flower the camellia. Georgia was one of the original 13 states and was founded in 1733. It was named in honor of King George II of England. During the Civil War, the fall of Atlanta, was a crucial turning point in the defeat of the South. The state’s nickname is the “Peach State”. Its capital is Atlanta and the state flower is the Cherokee rose. The state of Florida with its sunny weather and lovely beaches has earned it the nickname of the “Sunshine State”. The state is a long peninsula between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. It was founded by the Spanish in 1565 and is the oldest permanent European settlement in the continental U.S. It was named by Ponce de Leon “la Florida” which is Spanish for flowery. Its capital is Tallahassee and the state flower is the orange blossom. Is anyone from any of these states or have you visited?
Explore U.S. history using primary sources from the Library of Congress. Kids can discover America?s Story, meet amazing Americans, explore the states. Includes songs, movies, quizzes and short stories about American history.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
Thanks for the info... I like to hear about the native American words in use... it's interesting..I have been very fortunate to visit all the one's you mentioned, on previous trips to america
• Riga, Latvia
Sounds like you're a seasoned traveler @sueznews2
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm enjoying these posts not that I'll be able to remember much. Fifty is a lot of states to try to sort out.
• Riga, Latvia
Oh, yes. Plenty more coming up @JudyEv
I have been to Florida, Alabama and Georgia but not Tennessee.
• Riga, Latvia
Time to visit Graceland @JohnRoberts
I was born in Alabama, lived in all four of these states.
• Riga, Latvia
You have given me the want of wanderlust. Since I have no specific place to actually return to perhaps I should just fly in to New York since it is my hometown and then start moving along through the states like they do in the movies getting some jobs along the way. @andriaperry but then again perhaps it would be better to just settle down in one place.
I've been to Georgia. I did my Advanced Individual Training there when I was in the Army.