Not Your Grandma's Biscuits

@Raelove (15547)
Saco, Maine
Someone posted a really funny meme on another site earlier today that I just had to comment on. It had to do with the similarity between never being ready for the clown to pop out of a Jack-in-the Box and when a can of refrigerated biscuits decides to pop open. The comments under the meme were funny, so I had to add my two cents' worth. Years ago, cans of the small biscuits were very inexpensive, so I bought them often. But I never liked opening those darn things. Back then, you had to start by peeling the outer wrapping off until you saw a dotted line along the inner tube, and then you were to pop that line with a spoon. Now, the cans just pop open automatically once you have unpeeled enough of the paper. The problem with that is that I just never know how far that is into the process, and the pop always scares the daylights out of me. Sooooo, for that reason, I no longer buy those biscuits. Are they good? Absolutely, especially the ones called Grands. They're big and fluffy and delicious. But not enough to get me to buy them anymore! (Public Domain Image)
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh yes I love all those rolled up biscuits, but do not buy them anymore.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Neither do I, for all the above reasons!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Raelove My reason is I need no more fat on my body than I already have lol
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView That should be one of MY reasons, too...Notice I said "should."
atonehundred tge n degrees te bisuiots inthe back oifour ncar explodedn all niver our car n we had to nbake then at once
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Oh I totally get that. A can I had in the fridge once did that. What a mess.
@1creekgirl (8761)
I had a friend who called them Whop biscuits because you had to whop them on the counter top to open!
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
I used to toss the can in the sink a few times till it popped. I HATED when it popped in my hands!
@sallypup (21924)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I know what you mean. I don't think I've ever bought those. I just make folks suffer with my own biscuits.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Homemade are safer! No pop! LOL
@sallypup (21924)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Raelove You are probably right.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@sallypup There are also the bagged biscuit mixes that aren't bad. You just add water and drop them onto the pan. I like them. And once again, NO POP!
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
The leavening in the biscuit dough, causes them to swell inside the sealed packaging. That's why we get frightened, every single time
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
I know. I had a can open spontaneously once in the fridge. I heard a loud bang but thought nothing of it till I opened the door and saw biscuit dough oozing out of the can.
@kobesbuddy (19448)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Raelove I've had them explode, also:)
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@kobesbuddy So much for shelf life huh?
I know what you're saying but how sad is that? I'n trying to think of a way around it. Wrap it in a tea-towel and unwrap the paper maybe so you don't really see it happening? It's a shame to deprive yourself of a favourite biscuit. How about getting whoever comes to the door to open it?
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
That won't work, as I rarely get company. The towel trick might work. Thanks! I may try that!
@Raelove I have to smile because I know exactly what you're saying. You know what's about to happen but you just can't help jumping when it does.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Right! It's like watching a horror movie you've seen a hundred times and still jumping when the monster pops out of the closet.
These look awesome. The pop always kind of freaks me out too. Lol!
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Me, too, which is why I don't buy them anymore! LOL
@dragon54u (31339)
I still cringe when I have to open a can of those things! I usually make my own biscuits but at Thanksgiving we had those crescent rolls in a cardboard can and boy, did I cringe because I had to open 3 of them!
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
If/when I do have to open a can, what I do now is peel just a little of the paper back then toss the can in the sink. Doesn't always work the first time, though!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I like the off brand better. Lol, but I'm cheap.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
When I did used to buy them, that's what I bought, too.
I remember being startled by those biscuits that popped out after poking. My mom always used those biscuits. as did I. Those Grands in the photo look so very good!!!
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Oh they are good. No question there. Now if only there were an easier way to get AT them!
That pop has caused them to lose sales.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
It caused them to lose MY sale anyway!
We buy them every now and then. We like them.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, I don't dislike them. I just don't like having to open the can.
@Raelove thats the worst part.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@Happy2BeMe It is. But @JudyEv suggested that I try wrapping the can in a towel while I open it. I may try that, as those biscuits are too good to pass up.
I hate to open those too. And cinnamon rolls that come in the roll. Scares the daylights out of me too.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
Yup. I'm never sure when it will pop, so I'm never ready for it.
@Raelove ......Same here. I always have my daughter open it.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
I hated opening those biscuits cans too. Did not know about the new kind.
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
I didn't like either kind of packaging.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I made Grands on Sunday for breakfast, and the same thing happened to me. I started peeling the paper back thinking it would pop right away, but it didn't, so I kept peeling the paper back more and more. Then, BAM! it popped and scared the daylights out of me! I wish they would come up with a better way of doing that so people aren't startled when it pops!
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
LOL! I understand why it pops. Pressure builds up inside the can from the gases produced by the leavener, which in biscuits is generally baking powder. I, too, wish there were a better way. But I can't think what that might be, as packaging them the way they do cookie dough wouldn't work, as the pressure would split the plastic. A thought just occurred to me as I was writing this. What if you took a hand can opener, the kind that opens a little V in the metal, and just broke through the end of the biscuit can to release some of the pressure? I think that might work, as it would allow you to control how slowly you make the hole instead of letting the can decide!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Raelove That's a good idea! Have you seen how how some cookie dough packages are coming in a flat, square or rectangle packaging now, where all the dough is pre-cut and arranged on the cardboard square? I wonder if they could do that to biscuits as well?
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@moffittjc For reasons I stated, I don't think so, Jeff. The leavening builds up too much pressure, so I think those bags would split. I'm going to buy a can of them tomorrow and try out my little experiment. I'll get back to you on that!
@rubyriaz007 (2543)
The biscuit looks yummy, I would like to try these biscuits. I think it tastes good. I should look out for these biscuits in the supermarkets.