More Than One

When I was in 3rd grade my school teacher got sick. It was just before the Christmas holidays. She was a wonderful teacher and I really was quite fond of her. My friend and I decided to make her a Christmas card and we also made her some crepe paper roses . Our teachers home was a short walk from our school . So we took these gifts to our teacher after school one afternoon. I can remember being so excited to go see her and give her our homemade gifts. When she answered the door she was smiling and invited us in. As I stepped into her living room I saw the most beautiful Christmas tree. She saw the look on our faces and asked us to follow her. My friend and I had the pleasure of seeing two more beautiful Christmas trees. One in her den and one in her dining room. The thought of having more than one Christmas tree had never entered my 8 year old mind before. I was in awe. Our teacher had us sit at her dining room table and she served us hot cocoa and cookies. I will never forgot my teacher and the visit we had with her. We had gone to her home to cheer her up, but she is the one who delighted my friend and I. The last time that I spoke to my teacher was around 2003. I called her home and her husband answered the phone. I told him that his wife had been one of my favorite teachers and that I'd love to talk to her. I can still hear him calling to her, "Honey, it's one of your children." Do you have more than one Christmas tree in your home or perhaps a teacher that touched your heart ?
@Platespinner (18584)
We're travelling for Christmas this year so we only have our 9 ft artificial tree in the great room. If we were staying home, we would have a smaller live tree in the family room.
We have a small artificial tree. I think it is 3 and 1/2 feet. Where are you traveling to ?
@Tampa_girl7 we'll be joining @Morleyhunt and her family.
@Platespinner I know that you'll have a great time together
I only put up one tree but I have a friend who has a tree in every room and they are all decorated so beautifully. What a sweet teacher she was. Something like that stays with you forever.
One tree will be enough for my living quarters. What a lovely teacher, I don't recall anything special about mine .
I was blessed that most of mine were wonderful.
Oh, that is such a lovely event in your life to share with us. Teared up a bit when I read, "Honey, it's one of your children." My 5th grade teacher was my favorite teacher of all time. I taught 5th grade during my career, and I did, at one point, teach at the school for which he was the principal.
@rina110383 (23666)
We have 2 artificial Christmas trees at my parents' place. One is taller than the other.
I have a small one now. My cat broke my bigger tree
What a wonderful teacher!
Yes, she was
@LoriAMoore (10166)
No, we've only ever done one tree, sometimes not even that, but I have friends who do multiple trees.
I only do one, but would do more if I had a larger house.
What a wonderful memory you have and thanks so much for sharing it with us. I bet a teacher like that has dozens of grown-up 'children'.
What a wonderful story! I had a few wonderful teachers that I was friendly with and have been to their homes.
I have put up several, small and large and one on the front porch. But that was when I was 10 years younger and I lived in twon and had many guests.
@averygirl72 (14205)
For sure she is fond of Christmas tree. I haven't seen a house with more than one Christmas tree. That's sweet of yours to visit your sick teacher
We didn't put up our tabletop tree last year and not sure about this year.
@sallypup (22095)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Your sweet memory would make a great short story.
I don't have more that one tree but I think it is a cool idea. I've had several teachers that I recall with fondness. One was a English teacher who was really different from other teachers I had had.
no tree and no teacher.Third grade.I could not remember that far back.You got a sharp mind
@Morleyhunt (16802)
Last year we had three Christmas trees a 2', a 4' and a 6'. This year I am setting up two. Next year (after the big move) there will only be one.
• Denmark
I've never seen more than one Christmas tree in a home. No, I don't have such fond memories of a teacher. But I remember two girls, 12 or 13 years old if I remember correctly, who visited me, their teacher, at home when I was ill for some days. That was sweet.
• Lakewood, Colorado
What a most treasured and beautiful memory Marie..and what a lovely woman she was your teacher. I do not have more than once Xmas tree in this place, but there was a time when I did in a house that I lived in. It was marvelous.
All my teachers were awesome, and touched my heart. I was very lucky. As lots had "evil" teachers. Only ever had one tree
What a lovely husband, he knew how her students were important for her. I have two Christmas trees, one in the living room and one downstairs in the family room, near the fireplace.