Sunday Strolling Down Memory Lane......

Like most people we have gathered our Christmas ornaments and decorations over the years. We've added the fancy and not so fancy as we've gone. Today while going thru a box I stumbled upon these tracings. Something that our son would do on Boxing Day each year. He'd pick out his favorite Christmas card that we received that year and then traced his hand on the backside. There are a few missing, but you get the picture. I remember how diligently he'd work on trying to colour inside of the lines so that next year when we opened up the box of decorations and found last year's tracing, he wouldn't be embarrassed. I think that he did pretty good-what's in your memory box?
Your son did a really good job. What a neat idea!
Thanks, its kind of our own version of measuring his growth and colouring skills over the years. I used to tuck them into the bare spots on the tree, but now they are more of a memory saver then an actual decoration.
@ricki_911 (17220)
• Toronto, Ontario
I love getting ornaments or decorations passing them down.
I gave our son over 20 of them a few years ago, and of course I kept a few back for us.
I wish we have save ours.This is precious.
I always wanted to be the Mom of a son, and I was so blessed when he was born. And I've basically devoted my life to being the best wife and Mom that I could be, these are my little trophies!
@Juliaacv good idea there
I think he did a pretty good job too!! How cut those tracings are. I gave our ornaments to our son and his wife, but I kept the one that has "Joshua 1984." That one will always be mine.
He loved doing that on Boxing Day. I kept the one with the 2 penguins on it, it says parents 1989, that is ours.
@sueznewz2 (9381)
• Alicante, Spain
I like the idea of the memory box ... it's good... and I think he did a good job with his colouring...
Thanks, he has a couple of wooden specially made memory boxes.
@1creekgirl (8799)
My tree is filled with ornaments that were made by different kids and grands over the years. I have two blue balls that our grandson recorded a greeting to his Papa and Daddy on when he was four (now 14.) And a little red felt peanut guy that my Grannie named Jimmy Carter. Love those ones your boy made.
Those hand made ones by our little ones are the nicest ones on the trees aren't they? I remember back when we had a dot matrix computer printer, it took paper with edges that you tore off on the perforations, and I never threw that away. In the late autumn our son would colour them and we'd glue them together to make little paper chains. Now they sell the paper chains in the dollar stores for decorations, but they do not compare.
@Juliaacv I've always said our tree would never win awards, but every ornament on it is special. One grandson made one from a real ice cream cone and a red glass ball for the "ice cream." Years later a younger grand decided to take a bite out of the cone. Sweet memories.
@1creekgirl the only thing sweeter then loved ones are the memories of them from when they were younger!
This is a lovely idea. I like bringing out the ornaments each year and placing them on the tree.
When you look at the size of his hands and the growth over the years, its amazing. Some people mark growth on a doorframe when their kids grew, ours traced his on the back of some Christmas cards.
@Juliaacv I have seen marks on a doorframe but the handprints are a great idea.
I bet that those cards have a lot of memories in each.
They do, I can remember the conversations when he was doing most of them. Of course the first couple I had to trace and he just coloured as he was quite young.
@Angela150 (187)
• London, England
The idea of a memory box sounds good. My husband has saved the umbilical cords of both kids in his! I think I need to start one for my kids! I might put some drawings in there and cards too!
We do a time capsule also. It isn't due to be opened for another few years, but every 10 years we open it, get a good laugh out of its contents and then we add more to it.
• London, England
@Juliaacv That sounds like a good idea!
@cahaya1983 (9722)
They're really cute! I don't have a memory box but I keep a folder for the kids' artwork. The fridge couldn't hold them anymore.
We used to tuck these in the bare spots on the tree over the years.
@LoriAMoore (10162)
Oh gosh you've saved all of that? Wow!
He used to be allowed to choose an ornament each year that we'd buy and pack away with the tree and decorations. That way he'd look forward to helping decorate the tree the following year. I kept all of those decorations and gave him the box of individual boxes a few years ago when he bought his first house.
Just few ornaments we made when kids.