Would You Adopt or Buy a Pit Bull?

@poehere (17882)
French Polynesia
I am so surprised to find out how many people still adopt and have Pit Bulls in their home. One site I love to be on answers questions that people ask. On this site there are hundreds of people who have Pit Bulls and the basic question I read day in and day out is asking if their Pit Bulls are full blooded or not. Personally, I don’t have a real problem with Pit Bulls, I’m sure if you raised the dog from a puppy it would be a good dog and well trained. My problem is that people still take these dogs to train to be guard dogs and very aggressive animals. Because of this when I see a Pit Bull I back away and don’t even want to be near the animal. In an average day I can see 10 to 20 people who are asking questions about their Pit Bull. I know where I live it is now against the law to breed and own these types of dog. However, I still know that people do breed them and there are people who still own them on the islands. Is it me or do you think like I do? You know this dog can be dangerous and it can be aggressive. Why would you buy one or adopt one and have it in your home around small children? I\d be afraid, wouldn’t you?
@kobesbuddy (19698)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I had a boxer/pit bull mix, for 14 years while I ran a daycare home. Not even once, was Teddy aggressive, mean, or unpredictable, around these small children! He got teary eyed one day, because I wouldn't allow him to sit on Andy's lap(who was five) while on the couch. The only time he got upset, when our cat boxed his face! He loved everybody!
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
They are a good dog and if you raise it right it won't be aggressive. I had one dog that was over 140 pounds and a very big dog at that. This dog was a baby but a lot of people were scared of her.
@kobesbuddy (19698)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@poehere People got upset with me, because I walked Teddy without a muzzle! LOL
I have met many pit bulls who are such sweet hearts! Personally, I would have to have it from when it was a baby so I could raise it to be a sweet dog. I have a Rottweiler and people think the same about her. If they get to know her they are amazed at how good she is with children and how sweet she is! My Rott is more loving and sweet than any lab I have ever met... My dog lets any child do anything and she has never ever shown any aggression toward them ever! It is not the breed-it's the people!
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
You are so right. I had a Rott mixed with Shepard and she was the biggest baby ever. But her size scared people. I raised her since she was a baby.
• Marion, Kansas
I agree with you on this.
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
I couldn't have said it any better @LovingMyBabies . Rottweiler's, Pit Bulls and Doberman's get the biggest , bad rap. In reality, more people are bitten by the smaller breeds: Chihuahua's and Terrier's are the most common. But of course, that would never make the NEWS. 6'5", 240 pound man bit by a Terrier. Yeah, right!!!! It is the Dog Fighting Rings that are the cause of the problem for our loving Pit Bulls.
I would never buy any dog, but I would adopt a pit bull if it was a puppy and I could hire someone to professionally train the dog. Of course, I would have the pit bull spayed or neutered. Pit Bulls can be unpredictable, so I would think only someone who kept a very good eye on their pit ball and always had the dog on-leash when among others would be necessary.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
Next door to where I live there is a Pit Bull. The dog roams the streets and is so friendly and kind. I know up the road from my old garden they have 4 Pit Bulls. Each of them is so gentle and kind. They are all loving dogs. I guess it is the fact that my brother had one and one day out of no where the dog attacked his youngest daughter. The two girls were playing in the living room and the dog was sleeping. it just woke up and bit her in the face. After this I didn't want much to do with them. I had never had an issue with that dog and it was raised around the kids since it was a puppy. The kids would even lay on the dog and sleep. I still have no idea why it did this.
@poehere I really do think that pit bulls, no matter how well trained, are so unpredictable. I think families with children would be wise not to have a pit bull, Doberman, Rottweiler, Dalmatian, or any breed of dog that could just attack when least expected.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
@Corbin5 I had a Rott Shepard mix and my dog was way over 150 pounds. This dog was the most gentle dog in the world. I never saw her once show her teeth or even show aggression toward anyone. My niece who was 2 at the time took her fingers and clawed at the dogs eyes. All the dog did was turn her head and walk away.
@sugartoes (34844)
• Greencastle, Indiana
sugs I have a pit bull & I have raised him to protect the home & I don't let him around anyone outside my family & I have NEVER had a problem with him but I ALSO have 6 OTHER dogs as well that are JUST as mean as HE CAN be that ISN'T pit so it's not JUST the pit bull it's the OWNER of the dog not the breed.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I have many friends here in Tahiti that have Pit Bulls. They are sweet dogs and are really loyal to them. I agree with you it is the owner and not the dog.
Around here, there seems to be A LOT of people walking with their pit bulls - or pit bull mixes . . . I guess they are popular here (as are chihuahuas). We've never had a bad encounter with them and the owners will insist that their pit bulls are very good (even our next door neighbor has one . . . he just likes to stay indoors and sleep ). But then you do hear of the stories of the ones that attack out of nowhere . . . that is scary, but we've personally never had such an experience. Well, we can't have a dog here anyways as the kids have fur allergies.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I saw videos on YouTube about how some train their dogs to be aggressive. That one is abusing the animal and not what I would ever allow to happen to one of my dogs. All dogs can bite no matter how loving and kind they are. I guess it happens to everyone from time to time.
@poehere Is that for dog fighting? Yes, that is cruel and abusive and sadly this is the what they are raised to do. Startling a dog can cause even the sweetest of dogs to bite . . . it's just an instinctual reaction when they feel they need to protect themselves.
Personally I would go with another breed. I know Pits can be great dogs, and it depends on how they are raised..but I would feel more comfortable with other breeds.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I have large dogs and small dogs here in my home. I raised them all and they all are not agressive. It all depends on how you raise a dog is how it will be when it grows up. I have nothing against a Pit, I;m not sure if I'd want one or not for me.
@JustBhem (22701)
• Davao, Philippines
I think it is not appropriate to have this dog if you have children, I mean for safety sake. And I know someone having a pit bull and has a toddler but nothing happens to the toddler. The dog was very protective of the toddler.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I think you are right. I'd be a bit scared to have one around really small children. I know a few times with my family and friend that the dogs are so sweet and kind and then one day they will attack. I have no idea what makes them do this or change because they were never aggressive before.
@JustBhem (22701)
• Davao, Philippines
@poehere Me too, I heard a lot about pit-bull they are very aggressive. I think what makes them very loyal to you is when you have them a puppy.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
@JustBhem You are so right on that one. But I think that people who train them for attack dogs are wrong.
Pit bulls used to be THE classic family dog like Labrador retrievers are considered to be today. Petey on The Little Rascals was a pit bull. They have been trained to be aggressive and dangerous by a$$holes. The breed isn’t inherently dangerous to anything other small animals. Terriers were bred to kill vermin.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
You are right on this one. However, my brother and his wife raised a Pit mix from a small puppy. One day it decided to attack his youngest daughter and bit her in the face. Now she has some nasty scares on her face from this. It was so strange how it happened and nobody can understand why or how it did happen. His two daughters were playing together in the living room and the dog was sleeping. The dog woke up and just attacked the youngest girl. No reason at all. It was sad because this was a very loving dog, but his wife put the dog to sleep. She refuses to have a dog in her home that bites or attacks. I agree with her and this was so hard to do because the girls loved this dog.
@poehere well I would say that pits should be very well trained. I wouldn’t leave ANY dog unsupervised with children as you never know what could happen. Yes, a dog that attacked like that should be put down or given to a farm/sanctuary situation if one is available.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
@NJChicaa The girls raised this dog and the dog loved them. It was so strange it happened.
Pit bulls have received a really bad rap in our area, and they were banned. Of course if you had one your ownership was grandfathered, but people treat the owners and dogs with a lot of disrespect. Any pet has the ability to be harmful if it is trained so or it is inbred into them. The pit bulls in our area have that inbred into them, which is so sad, because they are not to blame. Nobody bans Dobermans or German Shepherds or Rottweilers and they are all big and potentially harmful dogs as well. Some of those little ones are the ones that I don't trust, they can be vicious.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I had a mix Rot and Shepard. It was a massive dog and weighed over 150 pounds.
Many of my family members and friends have pitbulls. I have a fear of any kind of dog even after I get to know the dog. I was bit by a German Shepard as a child and that fear is forever with me. My best friend has a doberman and he is a cream puff. The dog will come over and put his head in your lap and look at you with those big sappy eyes. He won't leave your side. Personally, I would not own a pitty. Yes, they can be gentle and loving, but for me, I'd rather not have one as a pet.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I like the dog and they are beautiful. I just don't want to own one myself. I have so many friends who have them and t hey are always so kind and gentle.
@mythociate (13948)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I agree with you.
@KristenH (20500)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
If the dog is tamed and desensitized, I probably will consider it. But I won't do it now, since I have my cat Wylie.
My friend who has a chicaaua mix is the nicest dog ever. He is so eaager to please and he loves me. I had a dog who was a doxie terrier mix and he was high strung Jax is a sweetheart.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I had a dog named Wylie and it was so funny.
@KristenH (20500)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@poehere Aww how sweet.
@Morleyhunt (16800)
I wouldn't go out of my way to get a pit bull. I think any dog can be breed and trained to be dangerous. I don't leave small children and dogs alone together.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
Any dog can be aggressive and mean. My sister in law taught her dog to be like this. I don't get it because she has her granddaughter living there. One day the dog did bite her granddaughter, but it wasn't a bad bite. I told her she was so wrong to do this with the dog.
@Morleyhunt (16800)
@poehere my mother would poke at our dog with her cane. After my mother passed away my father moved in with us. The dog never accepted him as a family member...because of the cane. She growled and barked every time she saw it.
Yeah, I like them.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
They are a nice looking dog.
@poehere I guess so.
@poehere Pit bulls have a mean streak in them but only slightly worse than other breeds. They can be wonderful pets but I am Leary of the breed. All dogs are domesticated from a wild animal breed and as such can be dangerous.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
You are so right. You could even raise a lion from a baby and bottle feed it and it would also be a good pet for you. But you never know because they are wild animals. You risk the chance of any dog biting you no matter how kind the dog is.
My older son and a past girlfriend liked pit bulls, and she bred them. They had one in my home, and scared me a lot, though it never hurt me. Just my fear of them. Then there was Pip. She was part Lab part Pit and was the nicest dog. Yes, she was aggressive - for attention only.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I think the mixed ones are nicer if yuo ask me. Here there are so many mixed one and not a lot of full blooded pits on the island.
@poehere She was the nicest dog I had, and Rascal before her was also super nice, but he would wander off. Pip didn't.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
@just4him My boyfriend said that one of our dogs was mixed with Pitt and I don't see it and I don't think it is right. I know he is mixed with Terrier for sure, but not Pitt.
@koopharper (6318)
Nothing against the breed but probably not. When we finally get ourselves a dog we are looking for different qualities.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
Hope you can find one that is best for you and your family. It isn't easy to pick a dog. When a puppy they have one way and when they grow this changes. Just like with teenagers. You always have to be there to correct problems when they happen.
@poehere When we're a little better off and aren't worried about being able to afford food for one we will likely adopt one.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
@koopharper I can understand this one. I have 6 of them here and it is expensive to feed them. Lucky for me I mix pasta and rice with their food and it makes it go a lot further. There are 5 small dogs so they aren't expensive to feed but the big one eats what the 5 little one do.
PitBull dogs are banned in most Swiss cantons, here they are not allowed. In Italy they are allowed only if you keep them safely in your home or in a closed space in your yard. There are many accidents every year, last week a PitBull has killed a 3 year old kid, he was in the house of his grandparents and they had a PitBull, a moment of distraction and the dog attacked and killed the young boy.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
That is so sad. Here there have been a lot of reported accidents and now they try and ban the pit from the islands. But people still raise them here. Most of the ones here I see aren't pure breed and they are mixed with a lot of other things inside and nobody knows exactly what. Most of these are super kind and gentle dogs and they are so nice.
@poehere Pure breed PitBull can be dangerous, because this is their nature, this is the reason why they are banned here. People inform the police if they see one.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
@LadyDuck They were banned here on the islands, but there is still a lot of them around. I know many people who still have a Pitt Bull in their home. Most of them are not pure breed, but they sure are mostly Pit Bull for sure.
We had one that we had bought. Initially we did find it a bit tough to train him but later he was the best pet around.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
All dogs are great you just need to train them.
@poehere Rana and that was his name used to be hand fed his entire life. He never ate on his own. Thoroughly spoilt brat that he was and loved by all
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
When I ran the animal shelter @poehere , we did have some Pits but I took the time to train them. My own personal Pit Bull was dumped at my mailbox when she was only 6 weeks old. I trained her too. She could instantly tell me whether someone (adult or child) was a threat. The only reason kids get bit (by any dog) is because they are mean to them: pull ears, poke in eye, grabbed tail, slap. A dog will only take so much. Then there are the people who deliberately train the Pit (and other breeds) to be vicious. Which is not the dogs fault either.
@poehere (17882)
• French Polynesia
I know you are right and I have had a lot of dogs here on the islands. One day I had 2 of them in my old garden. One of the neighbors whom the dogs hate came over there. He was talking really loud and being aggressive towards me. Both the dogs came by my side. One of the dog was over 150 pounds and the other one was close to 85 pounds. I saw the younger one start to show his teeth when the guy came too close to me. All I had to do was put my hand on his head and he settled down. I raised them both and taught them to listen and how to act. I wouldn't allow them to bite and nip as puppies. They learned young that the teeth hurt and this was not acceptable with me.
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
@poehere You handled that perfectly. Yeah, the dogs knew the neighbor was a jerk.