Boy Toy Ecstasy on a Beautiful Sunday Morning!

Walnut Creek, California
The sun is shining. It's a crisp 59 degrees F out. My outside work table is dry. Keith Jarrett Trio is playing on the stereo. Life is good. Someone just brought by a wooden case for a Yamaha amplifier that he is working on for someone else. My job is to make the wooden case look like new. Right now I'm pressing down some veneer that had come loose. I'm pressing it down with a KLK Model 21 vintage FM radio that I'm also restoring. I used Elmer's Wood Glue. In an hour or so, I should be able to take my "sculpture" apart and get back to sanding the case and looking for missing veneer. What are you up to on this beautiful Sunday morning?
I am sure that amplifier will be looking good by day's end! Visited Dad, age 96, who is doing incredibly well these days even though he refuses to take the medication prescribed for him, the majority of the time. We have 55 degrees here which is a gift to us when it is the month of November.
• Uzbekistan
It's already December! We know that Americans are behind Europeans time-wise but not as long as three days. :-)
• Walnut Creek, California
I was just guessing. Let me check and see if 59 is right.
• Walnut Creek, California
@MALUSE Well, mentally, we might be behind Europeans by three days, or Centuries. By the way, 59 F would be about...15 C?
That is going to look really nice when you are done with it.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yep, the hardest part will be a couple of gouges in the middle of the top. I'll have to decide whether put some veneer in there or just use wood filler.
@sallypup (28533)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Its lovely here, too, though not as hot as you are basking in. Might have hit the high 40s if we were lucky. I'm glad you are having fun.
• Walnut Creek, California
40s would feel different. I think it hit 60 here today. It was cool but pleasant.
@sallypup (28533)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheHorse 60s would be totally surreal here. 40s in December is something to be grateful for.
• Walnut Creek, California
@sallypup You're off the Coast, aren't you?
I have been decorating and wrapping presents
• Walnut Creek, California
Sounds like you're not the only one! Was it fun? Or a chore?
@TheHorse the decorating was fun..the wrapping not so much.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Happy2BeMe I'm not a big fan of wrapping. I like making stuff, though.
@Platespinner (17062)
I'm taking a break from a sewing project that is looming over me. I'm making a Victorian ensemble for my youngest daughter and the pattern is giving me fits.
• Walnut Creek, California
What's difficult about it? I just survived a difficult corner.
@TheHorse the directions that accompany the pattern are a little sketchy. I'm very much an output-oriented person, but this is a project that is demanding a lot of time and patience so I'm trying to convince myself to enjoy the process...so far I've been unsuccessful (in convincing myself, that is).
• Derby, England
I spent the morning wrapping gifts as we went to a Birthday party and next week end we are going to London and have to give out Christmas gifts and also a baby gift my my niece's new baby.
• Walnut Creek, California
Sounds busy! Was it fun? How far is London from where you live?
• Derby, England
@TheHorse London is around 150 miles south of us but or roads are very different from those in the USA. It takes us 2 hours to get to the outskirts of London then at last another 1 and a half hours to get across London as the traffic is so bad.
• Rochester, New York
I worked all day, it was super busy with Christmas shoppers.
• Walnut Creek, California
Was it fun? Or were they grumpy shoppers?
• Rochester, New York
@TheHorse Most were grumpy. They usually are this time of year. lol
• Walnut Creek, California
@LisaSteinmetz Heh. I thought this was the season of giving! And celebrating the birth of Christ. And stuff.
I guess we are talking about something else.Boy Toy .
• Walnut Creek, California
Not THAT kind of boy toy. Sheesh!
@TheHorse well had to put some humor there.
• Walnut Creek, California
@amadeo Heh heh--thanks!
I know you're happy. For me it was church in the morning, laundry in the afternoon, along with shopping with my younger son.
• Walnut Creek, California
A relaxing morning with wood to work on does make me very happy.I think I'm actually fairly easy to please. Your day sounds good as well.
@TheHorse It was good, and I ended the day watching the game I had on DVR so a Packers win to end the day was perfect.
You'll be in 7th heaven with a new speaker to work on.
• Walnut Creek, California
I was in 7th heaven! But now I have to get ready to teach Intro to Psych. Monday is my long day.
@TheHorse You'll have something to look forward to when you get home.
I was waiting for my bed to arrive. It did. Now I have to wait for my mattress pad and sheets to arrive so I can set it up and use my new bed.
• Walnut Creek, California
Did you flop on it to confirm that it is the answer to your prayers?
@TheHorse .....Not until I have sheets and can set it up.
@Morleyhunt (20995)
I just came in from a 45 minute walk. Really I should be doing some housekeeping...but instead I sitting here mylotting.
• Walnut Creek, California
A walk sounds good. I haven't gone hiking in awhile. MyLotting sounds good too. It means you have time to relax.
@kobesbuddy (55339)
• East Tawas, Michigan
You are very handy, when it comes to these haggardly looking speakers, that many would just throw out. To restore them is the best decision, when a person has the God given ability and love, for doing these things. Buying something new is often a wrong choice, that's my own opinion of course:)
• Walnut Creek, California
It's really recycling, and therefore "green." Plus these old cases are actually pretty valuable. They stopped making walnut stereo cases in the 1970s because walnut wood became too expensive.
@kobesbuddy (55339)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse Our old stereo speakers are heavy. The newer ones at 'BestBuy' are built out of pressed-board, they're very light and cheap looking, also!
• Walnut Creek, California
@kobesbuddy Exactly. I reckon the bottom line is how they sound. I find that the older speakers sound more musical.
I took a week off from football, other than following the Raider game on the Internet.
• Walnut Creek, California
Both the Raiders and 49ers won. I think that's the first time that's happened this season, though I wouldn't bet my life on it.
@TheHorse - It probably is the first time. The Raiders lost four straight, and the 49'ers don't look very good from what I understand.
@FourWalls (15226)
Well, it’s a beautiful Sunday night by the time I respond to this , but this morning I did laundry (ho hum) and had lunch at Chuy’s (my Sunday lunch tradition). I wanted to go out walking/shopping, but places are just too crowded because of Christmas shopping. Completely off-topic: is that your Ford Transit in the background? I’m thinking about buying a van and turning it into a homemade RV. (I’ll name it Beethoven: it’ll be my Camper Van, Beethoven )
• Walnut Creek, California
No, I drive a Nissan Xterra. I can sleep in the back, if I put the rear seats down, and it can hold an upright bass, but I don't know that it's big enough to become a home-made RV. It's been a dependable car--has 200,000 miles on it now.
@FourWalls (15226)
@TheHorse — I have a crossover SUV now that has plenty of sleeping room in the back (I’ve already done that — twice — since I bought it), but the van idea for longer trips is still a dream. That’s all it might ever be, but I’ve seen some terrific ideas out there. I’m not a Ford fan (it’s always stood for “Fix Or Repair Daily” in my books), so I was going to ask if you had any problems with it. But since it isn’t yours, then no, you’ve never had any problems with it!
@rina110383 (24070)
It's already Monday morning here. Will spend the entire day here at the office. Need to do some work.
• Walnut Creek, California
I have my alarm set for 5:45 AM. Works beckons.