Hollywood finally casted an Asian actor for an Asian lead role

Calgary, Alberta
After seeing Tom Cruise, Emma Stone, Scarlet Johanson play Asian roles finally Hollywood decided to cast an Asian actor to play an Asian lead character. Disney decided to cast a Chinese actress Liu Yifei to Play Mulan . I hope some Asian American actors get roles though because Hollywood discriminate them the most. I know Liu Yifei is a draw in China that is why she is chosen instead of an Unknown Chinese actress or a Chinese American Actress. After seeing White actors play Asian roles like Son Goku,King of Thailand. Makoto Kusanagi, Juan Rico, Go Mifune,Hidesaburo Ueno,Light Yagami,Ang, Allison Ng and many more finally an Iconic Asian character is going to be played by someone who is actually Asian. After Seeing Asians getting nothing but unattractive Asexual nerd roles finally a lead character who is not a geek or nerd that wears thick glasses
Disney has found its star for the live-action version of "Mulan." Chinese actress Liu Yifei (also known as Crystal Liu) will play the title character in the ...
@kobesbuddy (59742)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Acting is an art, they choose actors according to their ability, not their place of origin.
• Calgary, Alberta
I am sure you know how Asian Americans felt about the trend of flop movies casting white actors for Asian roles. Asian roles are limited in Hollywood, So casting a White actor for Asian roles is a slap in the face for Asian actors. Also Asian American kids sees nothing but non speaking Asians and nerdy Asians as their representative in Hollywood movies and tv. 80 percent of roles in Hollywood are for White actors, So making a White actor play an Asian role had been a painful experience for Asian Americans.
@kobesbuddy (59742)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@CaptAlbertWhisker I'm sure it's discrimination, it always makes a good excuse.
• San Jose, California
@kobesbuddy Maybe,but what if you're biracial?Then essentially directors would have to judge by appearance.
I agree. Finally. It's a disgrace for an industry "priding" itself on supporting diversity to have treated Asian actors so badly.
• Calgary, Alberta
It is the same industry that claims to empower women but pays them less than men with flop movies despite of being a draw.
@josie_ (8012)
Ever since Bruce Lee made "Enter the Dragon" for Warner Bros. Barriers against hiring Asians for lead role in Hollywood produce films have come down. Jackie Chan is one example.
• Calgary, Alberta
Not really, A white guy playing Son Goku, A white woman playing Makoto Kusanagi, A white guy playing a Filipino character named Juan Rico shows white washing of Asian roles had been severe in Hollywood.
@josie_ (8012)
@CaptAlbertWhisker _Westerners may still play Asian characters but this hasn't prevented Asians from breaking into Hollywood films playing major roles in the movie. Film producers today don't care what your ancestry is as long as you can draw in the audience and you have box-office potential.
When we think Asian, we think of yummy food, brainiacs, and vibrant cultures. But there's a lot more to them than what's clichéd. Today, Asians have walked into Hollywood and taken it by a storm; they give us not just the smarts, but the bold and the beaut
• Calgary, Alberta
@josie_ Bruce Lee left Hollywood for being discriminated when he is not casted on Kung-Fu. Jet li is not a lead actor in Hollywood anymore. Jackie Chan never get to kiss his Love interest in Hollywood because Hollywood love desexualizing Asian men. Most roles available for Asians are support and lead Asian characters are given to white actors. It is getting worst instead of improving. Makoro Kusanagi got white washed last year. Juan Rico is played by a White guy again when that character is suppose to be Filipino. Heck they want a White guy to play Ghandi.
@averygirl72 (16610)
I hear about this in @youless post. So Mulan will be made into a movie
• Calgary, Alberta
They almost considered Emma Watson for the role. She said no to it because its an Asian role and It is about time an actual asian play an Asian role. The White Goku and White King of Thailand is so wrong. Hollywood should finally stop the whitewashing of Asian roles. Asian roles is like only 5% so they should leave to Asians since the slots are limited. White actors gets 80 percent of the roles so more white actors should say no to accepting Asian roles.
@averygirl72 (16610)
@CaptAlbertWhisker They should give Asians a big break to make the movie more real. I thought Lucy Liu was also considered
• Calgary, Alberta
@averygirl72 Lucy is on her 40's. Disney wanted a teen looking woman. There is another Mulan Movie for Sony pictures. That version wanted an older woman. So that might be the one with Lucy Liu.
I learned this news last week. But I personally don't think that Liu Yifei is the right actress for it because she is pretty and looks so soft I think Mulan shall be something tough and strong and she is different from normal girls.
• Calgary, Alberta
I think she needed to gain some weight and stop trimming eyebrows once she get to play Mulan. She can look pretty and soft at the beginning then she must look masculine later.
@CaptAlbertWhisker This is a very good idea.
• Calgary, Alberta
@youless Disney almost considered casting a white man to be her love interest. An outrage cause Disney to finally cast an Asian guy to play general Shang.
@Aquitaine24 (2080)
• San Jose, California
Just to clarify,Yul Brynner had some Asian ancestry and was born in what is now Russia.Many white people from that region have at least traces of East Asian ancestry and some look Asian as well.
• Calgary, Alberta
He is white passing and looks nothing like the King of Thailand. A huge number of White Americans have Native American ancestry but that doesn't make them natives since the native genes are way too diluted.
• San Jose, California
@CaptAlbertWhisker I think there was an assumption no movie goer knew what the real king looked like.Not sure if there are photographs of him.There are photographs of his son,however.
• San Jose, California
@CaptAlbertWhisker Yul Brynner looks biracial to me.
@Madshadi (9029)
• Brussels, Belgium
I haven’t seen many good Asian actors in Hollywood. But I like Jackie Chan
• Calgary, Alberta
There are many good ones but they are not getting roles aside from the typical kungfu goons and Shy nerds. lead Asian roles that could have launched an Asian star are given to White actors.
@Madshadi (9029)
• Brussels, Belgium
@CaptAlbertWhisker yeah to the point that we stereotype Asians "all Asians know Kung-fu"
• Calgary, Alberta
@Madshadi I think American television is more open to Asians than Hollywood movies.
@kepweng (19313)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
Its a MIRACLE
• Calgary, Alberta
I just hope we wont have a scene of Mulan being good at Math or being a doctor. She is intelligent but not a nerd.
@Micmac (9772)
@kepweng Hey there my friend, capt. boss. Long time no see. Hope you are okay? Are you on hiatus at your fortress?
@Micmac (9772)
@Aquitaine24 (2080)
• San Jose, California
What Asian role did Tom Cruise play?
• Calgary, Alberta
Keiji Kiriya, he is like the only Asian character on that novel but he still got white washed. His name is changed into William Cage
• Northampton, England
Yup, Hollywood has to see to Asian markets now.
• Calgary, Alberta
They just casted a Hispanic woman for an Asian role. I guess it is a different spin on their race bending practices. They casted a Hispanic woman to play Battle Angel Alita.
@kiran8 (15398)
• Mangalore, India
Recently I have been seeing a lot of Indian and Asian actors playing if not lead , at least important roles in hollywood films. We have also had some Western actors act in Bollywood films in very limited roles , because majority of our films are made for locals and not many roles could be created for Westerners.
• Calgary, Alberta
What is your opinion about Hollywood wanting Benedict Cumberbatch to play Ghandi despite of having actual popular Indian Holltywood actors like Dev Patel and Surej Sharma in Hollywood.