Why would he take off his wedding ring?

@millie02 (5950)
United Kingdom
I know a couple who live near me and I often speak to both of them as I pass their house. While talking to the husband the other day, I could not help noticing that he was not wearing his wedding ring . On closer inspection, I noticed that he was still wearing it but on the wrong finger. This couple are still together and always seem happy. They have two small children and I would hate to think that something was going wrong with them. So why would he remove his wedding ring?
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
During the winter months my wedding ring gets very loose around my finger and only stays on because I have a bit of a squashed knuckle. It does spin round my finger very easily which isn't a problem as it is just a simple gold band. However, Mrs WorDazza has a similar problem with her rings during the winter months and doesn't have the luxury of a squashed knuckle. It can also be awkward to suddenly find the ring has rotated and the stones on her engagement ring and eternity ring are now facing inward. Consequently she sometimes moves them onto a slightly fatter finger, or doesn't wear them. Nothing sinister. Just a desire not to lose them or damage them if they drop off. This guy hasn't removed his wedding ring. Maybe he has a similar problem and, and rather than remove it completely he has moved it onto a finger he is sure he isn't going to lose it from during the cold winter months. So maybe he is showing far more respect for his relationship than you are giving him credit for.
@vandana7 (57514)
Trust men to know what goes on in the mind of another man..lol
I'm surprised people even notice about rings these days. Gone is the time when people checked the ring finger to see if someone was married. Lots of married people don't bother with rings - it always used to strike me like a sort of branding to show you were 'unavailable' - rather outdated now with so many people living together and others getting divorced.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@welshbabe Indeed. I almost didn't get a wedding ring as I just never have worn jewellery of any sort. It took ages to get used to having something on my finger.
Ask him. Maybe he has trouble with that finger. I wish I hadn't worn mine to work...when my finger got smashed they had to cut the ring off.
@millie02 (5950)
I suppose I could ask him but I don't want to appear to be nosey. How would you approach the subject, and how is your finger now?
@millie02 It's a bit shorter these days, they had to amputate part of it. The end is a bit wider than the rest of the finger now as well, a ring that would go over it would actually be too big. I'd probably just nonchalantly mention I'd never seen someone wear their ring on that finger.
@millie02 Goodness I wouldn't ask anything - I don't think the ring is a good indicator of their marriage.
@ilocosboy (33294)
It could be no big deal for him. But for some people its a big deal.
@millie02 (5950)
They do not seem to be worried about it but I was just curious. It would be a big deal for me.
@ilocosboy (33294)
@millie02 especially for guys, its not their weight of their feelings
@aureliah (3849)
It could be a big deal as it gives a sign he might not be happy
@dodoazo (11280)
My wife and I were married for 45'years and we never have a wedding ring to wear. But we have made our married life faithful, happy and worth living together. What's in a ring? We're married civilly.
Quite agree - its the marriage that is important.
@millie02 (5950)
Nice to know that you are enjoying a nice long marriage.
My husband has lost his wedding ring, it happened washing his hands at a restaurant. He did not notice immediately so the ring is lost forever, not our love and our marriage.
Exactly - I also lost my engagement ring but it never bothered me - any more than losing any other ring.
@welshbabe A ring is not the most important thing in a happy marriage. Of course my husband did not replace the ring, there is only one wedding ring.
@millie02 (5950)
Nice to know that all is well with you, sorry to hear that he lost his ring. You both must have been upset at the time.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I am always curious about this too. When you own a ring, why would you not wear it everyday and also when you are out or not with your partner. I am the type who won't hesitate to ask. A ring means someone is married and is in love too. So I think people should be happy and proud to wear it.
@millie02 (5950)
I am glad that I am not the only one who would be concerned about this. It does make me think that something is not quite right.
@aureliah (3849)
Some end up removing them once out of the house
@millie02 (5950)
@aureliah This sounds a bit nasty to me.
@cahaya1983 (9662)
I know some people take it off when they're about to do gardening and painting and things like that. But wearing it on the wrong finger, that's a bit odd.
@vandana7 (57514)
Then he could actually be wearing it in wrong finger to avoid misplacing it.
@vandana7 Well that could be one possibility I guess.
@millie02 (5950)
I thought it odd too.
As long as he is taking care of this family. The ring could be in a glass on the table. I would never feel a ring on my finger or my husbands would matter to me. I would be upset to know others were that much in my affairs too. That would be one reason to leave those people alone.
Exactly - I've never had anyone question me not wearing anything most of the time. I'm sure no-one cares - and its also none of their business anyway.
@millie02 (5950)
I admit I was being nosey, but I was worried about them.
mauybe sfiger was soreso he movedt s o e thig very simple amnd straight forward
@millie02 (5950)
He could have had a sore finger, perhaps that was the problem.
try not to mind his wedding ring on his finger, its only a small thing
@millie02 (5950)
Maybe I just worry too much.
@vandana7 (57514)
May be he had some itch (not 7 years one ..just some scabies or fungal infection, or he had some cut there...or he removed it to do some acid related work and developed some blister or whatever, so he wore it on another finger and quite forgot about it.
@millie02 (5950)
Perhaps it was more comfortable on the other finger.
@vandana7 (57514)
@millie02 Do fingers really grow fat and thin like WorDazza and Mrs. WorDazza experience? I have never felt mine slimming down.
@vandana7 My fingers are thinner in winter without fail, I only ever wear costume jewellery anyway but I can't wear my rings at all in winter cos they just slide off instantly. This is even the case when the rest of me is decidedly fatter in winter than it was in summer
@DEMI12 (590)
• Guangdong, China
In fact my husband and i become a little fat than before (we marry for 7 years at very young age), and these 2 years the rings are too small for us. we will plan to buy new ones next year. sometimes maybe they have some other reasons why they do not wear the rings?
@millie02 (5950)
I suppose our fingers do change over the years like everything else on the body.
@DEMI12 (590)
• Guangdong, China
@millie02 I can not agree with you anymore,next plan in 2017 is to buy rings for ourselves
@millie02 (5950)
@DEMI12 It is better to buy rings for ourselves then we know they will fit.
I don't wear my ring to work. It is just too dangerous using the saws and drills.
@millie02 (5950)
What sort of work do you do?
@millie02 I work in the shop of a sign/printing company
@tzwrites (3814)
@Happy2BeMe It's best not to wear it...better than losing it.
@gullver (534)
• Egypt
Maybe there is unexpectable reason for that, because they are happy as you said
@millie02 (5950)
I suppose there must be a reason for it but they have been married for years and he always wore it.
@gullver (534)
• Egypt
@millie02 unexpectable* I hope nothing wrong happened between them
@millie02 (5950)
@gullver So do I because I would not like to see either of them get hurt.
@Emmlex1000 (1417)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Most couple are not comfortable wearing wedding ring, but it safer to wear on the right finger
@millie02 (5950)
I wonder why people do not feel comfortable wearing them.
• Lagos, Nigeria
@millie02 sometimes religion is involve
@millie02 (5950)
@Emmlex1000 I do not know if they were married in church or in a registry office.
Well I always used to wear my wedding ring on the 'wrong' hand as a matter of principle as I did not like being dictated to by convention. Now I never bother wearing it unless going somewhere special - I prefer not to wear rings most of the time and to me it does not really matter - I never see why people think it important to have never taken their ring off - to me tis just a piece of metal.
@millie02 (5950)
I bet you have a fun life not being dictated to by convention. I wish I was more like that.
@millie02 Not that unconventional really but it always struck me as being 'branded' -like a bull having a ring through its nose!
@aureliah (3849)
It could be that he is not happy in the marriage or the ring has become too small or too big
@millie02 (5950)
They do seem to be happy still.
@aureliah (3849)
@millie02 that i wouldn't know and i hope they really are happy.
@Destesh (104)
• Kenya
You never know what happens in their house. They might seem to be happy towards other people but fight in private
@millie02 (5950)
This is true, some people just put on a brave face when they are out.
@poehere (17878)
• French Polynesia
More than likely he lost some weight and it was too big for his finger now so he moved it over to the other hand so he didn't lose it.
@millie02 (5950)
Come to think of it, he has lost some weight recently.
@sjvg1976 (14615)
Wearing wedding ring doesn't mean that their married life is not going good. I have been married for 15 years and I don't remember when I wore my wedding ring and still we are living a happy life. Ring doesn't mean much for us.
@millie02 (5950)
Nice to know that all is well with you.