Flat On My Back

@fishtiger58 (30689)
Momence, Illinois
It's been another trying week for me. No family drama, just a very sore back. I have been lucky in my life as I don't currently nor have I had in the past, health problems. What I have had most of my life is a bad back. Since about the age of 13 I have had problems with my back. I have seen doctors and all they want to do is operate. This I won't allow. I have heard to many horror stories about back operations going bad. 3 of these stories are friends, so I know first hand. I have seen chiropractors as well and have been told that I have a back of an 80 year old, awesome. and that I have discs that keep slipping out of line. While the chiropractors help a bit it usually doesn't last for long. I have pretty much had pain in my back since I was 13 just about every day. It's usually a bearable pain but as I age the pain has become much more constant and certainly more painful. Usually when I have a bad back just resting seems to help.This time however I can only bear just about every position I can possibly put my body in for a short time. Then I have to re position. It seems the more I move the better I feel. Usually that is not the case. Sitting or standing or laying down for any length of time tightens up my back and then I seem no better. I have been up since 4:30 am as laying flat on my back is killing me. I keep hoping my pain gets better soon, I haven't taken any meds for my pain as I hate to have to resort to that. I avoid medications like the plague. But this has been going on now for over a week, and I'm edging ever closer to meds. So I will be here for as long as I can stand this sitting position and then I'm off to walk around the house. This has been what's going on in my life for the past week or so. It's really getting old.
I've only started having bad pain after my heart surgery. At times it is unbearable. I feel for you. My sister had back surgery and she still have trouble with her back.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yea back pain is no picnic. I have heard this about back surgeries all the time, they don't work more than they do.
@fishtiger58 I have heard the same of those who have had it done
I won't let them operate on my back either. So I get along and try to manage, just like you do. I hope that today is a better day.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I hope so too, it's getting on my nerves. Yup all we can do is try to deal with it.
@fishtiger58 I know its hard, right, and then you hear people make the statement "I have a bad back" and they don't know what they are even saying.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@Juliaacv Still not great, but slowly getting better, it's the longest time I have had severe back pain. It's really getting quite old.
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad back. Ongoing pain like this becomes very difficult to put up with. I have a bad back but only from time to time. I do something a bit differently and then I pay for it for a few days. I wonder is a massage would help.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
My hubby will massage but I'm afraid my problem is not muscular so it doesn't seem to help much. I can throw my back out putting on a shirt for goodness sake, I have done that a few times in my older age lol.
@fishtiger58 It's hard to dodge hurting your back when such simple actions throw it out. Emptying my front-loader washing machine has caused me trouble before today.
@Ganma7 (2001)
I bet a a massage would help
Sometimes the pain meds combined with the rest is essential. My dad loathes medication, but I remember after surgery once I overheard him telling someone that he would have healed faster if he had just taken his pain medication. I don't know your financial situation, but have you ever heard of a zero gravity chair? You might look them up and see if getting a used one is worth it to you. I'm with you on surgery. My doctor has told me back surgery is in my near future. I have seen too many cautionary tales to agree. I do take pain medication, but I am judicious in my use. I don't want my body to get used to it. Without any pain meds I have to use a cane.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I too don't like medications for any reason, I have to be pretty desperate to take them. A zero gravity chair sounds interesting, I will look into that thanks for the suggestion.
@Ganma7 (2001)
@fishtiger58 Sounds like the chair could help
So sorry about your bad back. I understand you no wanting to get surgery on your back. I had both back pain and neck pain in the past. They also wanted to do surgery and I refused. Much better now. I hope that you will have some respite soon.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks I do too, I am so getting tired of this. And yes my back pain sometimes extends to my shoulders and neck. Just awful.
I've had lower back pain off and on (mostly off, thankfully) since someone threw me onto a brick area divider when I was in prison back in '79. I've only had 3 times where it was so bad I was basically immobilized for a few days, but I'm pretty sure I can look forward to some 'good times' as I age.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Back pain is nothing I would wish on my worst enemy. I currently have the lower back pain, but I get pain in all areas of my back into my shoulders and neck. Usually I can handle it but sometimes not so much. I hope you don't get worse as you age, although I certainly have.
So sorry to hear about your back problems. Have you tried acupuncture?
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I have heard that can help, but sadly I am a big baby about needles, Don't like that lol.
@fishtiger58 hope you find an immediate and more lasting solution.
I am so sorry you are in such pain. I admire your wanting to refrain from pain killing medication. I am one who always goes for something to ease the pain.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I could take something, but I'm afraid with the pain momentarily gone I will do something to my back to make it worse. I am at my wits end as usually my pain is a few days, this has been since before Thanksgiving and I'm getting quite frustrated with it all.
@fishtiger58 I am so sorry. That pain has lasted far too long.
I am so sorry, my husband has the same problem, many nights he get ups around 3 am and go down to try to sleep on the sofa, because his back hurts too much laying flat in the bed.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I feel for him, I know what that's like. I still have more pain in my back than usual and it's quite frustrating, I suppose it's my age and history with my back. I see more problems in my future as I age. That I'm not looking forward to and may have to take meds for the pain which I really don't want to do.
@fishtiger58 The snow is in the air, today the elbow I broke when I was a kid hurts badly.
good idea to hold off the surgery.Try Chiropractor?
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I may have to resort to a Chiropractor. My whole life I have endured back pain so I keep thinking this to will end, so far it's been weeks and that I'm not used to usually a few days and it's gone. Not this time it's been weeks.
@fishtiger58 well I hope you find some relief there.No fun.
Biofreeze! this is my miracle rub. I also have a bad back and I do not do pills either. I am getting a teeter soon and I will try that instead of the Chiropractor weekly, cant afford him.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
What's a teeter.
@cttolledo (2337)
• Batangas, Philippines
So sad to know what you been through. Do you have medication already? take care always
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I could take medication but I don't want to so no I haven't yet. I will see as the time goes on if I can no longer tolerate the pain I may have to take pain pills.
• Marion, Kansas
i am sorry your back is so painful. Usually that is the one place on me that does not hurt. When it does, I usually need to take muscle relaxers. My brother is one of the "success stories" of back surgery. He still has trouble, but his bulging, pinched discs had gotten so bad that he was literally losing his grip in his hands. He still has some pain, and will probably need more help, eventually. For me, the pains I do have seem to be better when I move as well.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
this is unusual for me to have to move to help my back, usually it's sit still and wait. you certainly don't hear of to many successful back surgeries.
Sorry that you have been going through that. Keep moving if that's what helps.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yea moving seems to help, strange thought as mostly I have to sit still and let it heal. Never had a back ache quite like this one.
You are very strong to be able to put up with that continuous pain - I would have taken pain killers.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I am edging ever closer to meds, however I have a fear of injuring my back further when my back pain is masked by the medications.
I'm sorry you're in so much pain.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks Valerie, hopefully time will heal all.
I can totally sympathize with you as I've had a bad back since I was about 20 from a fall. I also hate to take any kind of medication and usually have to let it ride itself out and rest. Resting is hard when you're a busy person. Hope you're up and dancing again soon
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
I just want it to be gone. Taking meds could cause me to injure it more I'm afraid. I don't think I have ever had this degree of pain for this long in my back. I have bearable pain in my back every day but this pain takes my breath away, as you have probably experienced. This has been going on since before Thanksgiving a long long time for me and I'm past the point of frustration.
@Dena91 (3687)
I've only had a few times that my back has bothered me. For that I am thankful. I am like you, I would be very hesitant to have back surgery. And I take as little medicine as possible. When mine hurt I was able to get some help from a chiropractor. Prayers you get some relief.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Back pain is no laughing matter, and yup I may have to see a chiropractor soon as it doesn't seem to be getting any better and it's been weeks now.
i'm sorry about your back. i'm sure you've explored stretches that could help?
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes I have. I have one of those big ball to lay across and other stretches but at this point it's so painful I can hardly do them.
@josie_ (5095)
I've just taken my 15 year old grand daughter to an orthopedic doctor. Her x-ray came back showing she had scoliosis. She had been complaining of back pains in recent days. Hopefully no extreme measures will be required during the early stages.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh poor kid, I feel for her, it's no picnic when you have back pain.