'Welcoming' the spammers

By JJ
This is one of those things I have never quite understood. I see 'welcome to myLot' responses to spam ads here. I see posts saying 'That is interesting'. I see people 'like' them. Now, sometimes, a user thinks they get paid to 'like' things...they have it backwards, since we are paid to receive them, not give them. I guess they don't stop to think that if we got paid to 'like' things people would be going around 'liking' everything they saw to earn money here. But why would you 'welcome' someone that is simply posting an advertisement? Why would you think spam is 'interesting'? I mean, if that's what you want to do, do it. But you're just wasting your time. The spammer is not going to think "Oh, that person thinks I am interesting, I think I'll go look at their discussions." And actually, spammers are not welcome here...so why welcome them? And it is not going to increase your activity rating (numbers) because that number will go back down when the discussion...and your response to it...gets deleted. Sure, I sometimes respond to them...sometimes with a liberal dose of sarcasm, sometimes with a "Don't let the door hit you in the ass". Oh...and while I have your attention, be sure to visit my site and get your copy of "How to myLot: The 100 Best Kept Secrets" for only $9.9978 while supplies last.
Are you still waiting for that Nigerian inheritance to come through?
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JohnRoberts What Nigerian inheritance are you referring to, John-boy Walton?
@kobesbuddy There are so many. "Opportunities" abound in Nigeria.
• Austin, Texas
Today is a day that I needed a good laugh and you're the second person that has made me laugh. Great joke! Thank you for sharing.
@topffer (30796)
• France
I might do it : I thanked a member for his plagiarism yesterday and he followed me, but it seems that the account is gone today.
they felt encouraged, but their elation was short-lived. poof!
@topffer (30796)
• France
@hereandthere Maybe is it not the best way to get interesting followers?
@topffer (30796)
• France
@hereandthere Spammers, yes. When I was in a task site, I was receiving offers to spam forums. I never did these tasks.
I always miss these guys who want me to visit their site and want me to get a copy of something for such a wonderful price. Feeling left out.
@Raelove (15589)
• Saco, Maine
I miss them, too. I'm not feeling left out at all!
@Raelove (15589)
• Saco, Maine
Sometimes I welcome them to say to read the guidelines before to write.
@JolietJake I report those ones without even leaving a comment.
@LadyDuck sometimes you have to leave a comment, but it's not for the spammer, but in the hopes that members will notice
@hereandthere Alex wrote a discussion asking to avoid to leave comments to let others know when we report. I respect what he asked.
I guess I need to go visit some 'new users'. I never see any of these sorts of posts.
i wish i don't see them, but we wouldn't know until they start posting.
@hereandthere I just visit those I'm following and none of them are dodgy or I'd have worked it out before now.
@JudyEv the problem is anyone can join and start posting. two, admin doesn't see everything.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Hey, the seat of my pants is still smoking, from that informative lesson! Do you suppose some of them will actually read this discussion? Many don't even read what's being said, they just respond! LOL
true. they either respond with 'welcome' or 'that's interesting'
@Raelove (15589)
• Saco, Maine
@kobesbuddy You are SO right there. I have lost track of some of the questions I've been asked that were addressed in the post. That's how I know they didn't read it! I suspect that's because some people see this as nothing more than a glorified chat room.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Raelove Yes, they treat it like this is 'Facebook' or 'Twitter!'
@sjvg1976 (14714)
Sometimes people don't read the post thoroughly before liking it which is wrong . We are motivating the spammers in this way.
the problem is not only do they like it, but they add a 'welcome' message, too.
@hereandthere I think some users are so desperately looking for people to "return the favor", expecting to get a like or response in return from those people (read:spammers).
@cahaya1983 i gues they're focused on just posting numerous discussions, responses and comments and just pounce on anything and everything they see here
@josie_ (5198)
So where's the link to your spam site?
Under Laurel's response
@josie_ (5198)
@JolietJake _VERY FUNNY..grr
@LoriAMoore (10171)
Yes, I like your sarcastic responses to them. I just hit the "report" button and move on.
Interesting post, you funny guy!
Always helpful hints! Hmmmm wonder how many order you will get?
I forgot the link. Just send the money to @SomeGuyTyping at
@JolietJake Let the fun begin!
Or liking/welcoming one liners also. "I like ice cream" and nothing else. For reals?
sometimes i don't know which i like more/less - the 'i like ice cream' or those that are nothing but 3 to 5 questions. i wish they'd answer their own questions first.
@euphie (610)
• Ballymena, Northern Ireland
Some people are just desperate to earn a few extra cents online and I think some sarcasms don't translate well
@aureliah (3848)
That is a very helpful hint right there. like something because it interests you instead
• Riga, Latvia
Please don't confuse me. I learn as I go along and when I find out that someone has followed me and then I check them out and find out that maybe 5 people are following them but they are following over 100 and have no bio I know that it is not the person for me to follow. I have lately seen this quite a few times. Where do they all come from?
I'm not sure...I have a few people following me that have no (0) activity
@JolietJake i had one that sent me a pm. guess what the message was - like! huh?
• Marion, Kansas
Some of the many mysteries of the universe.
I´ll buy that copy when I reach that amount this month Last month´s amount is already being used in my mind. I am still one of those innocent people that report spammers. Maybe one day, Someone will thank me
@cahaya1983 (9728)
Do we get paid commission for promoting your e-book in our discussions though?
Will definitely cop that JJ. I'm just waiting to receive a big amount of cash to be transferred to my bank account from the attorney of the King of Nigeria. Heard there is some trouble there and they need people to send their legit bank account details so they can transfer the government funds to these accounts.
@EddieHands (33088)
You know you make an interesting point! I think most people just want to post anything to make money. I make money pissing people off posting about trump. I put on a good show and entertain!