80s new wave mania: "The Promise" When in Rome (1988)

Los Angeles, California
“If you need a friend Don’t look to a stranger You know in the end I’ll always be there” This synthpop trio was comprised of vocalists Clive Farrington and Andrew Mann plus keyboardist Michael Floreale. Farrington had founded the British band in the new wave musical hotbed of Manchester. Their self titled album proved When in Rome’s only release and yielded the hits “The Promise” and “Heaven Knows” charting at Billboard #11 and #14. The 12” extended dance play version was a club hit. The lush romantic quality probably explains its popularity then and endurance now as a new wave classic. When in Rome broke up in 1990. In 2006, Floreale revived the band then Farrington and Mann created the rival When in Rome UK in 2009.
Music video by When In Rome performing The Promise (Single Version).
@FourWalls (10030)
I do not remember this song at all. That’s weird because I know I should have heard it, with all the concerts I went to then and all the MTV I watched.
I am speechless! Stunned. There can't be a song that was #11 that you aren't familiar with.
I loved this song, and I still like it. I could do without some of the background music, but overall great music.
@hereandthere (24150)
i immediately knew what 'the promise' was, but had to look up and listen to 'heaven knows'. yep, both were hits in the philippines.
• Riga, Latvia
Never heard of this before. Thanks for sharing. Will listen some more to them.
@yanzalong (8833)
That's very good lyrics.
Love it. One of the great 80's alternative songs.