The Livin' Was Easy in the Good Old Summertime

Even though this 95-year-old photo of my dad has a crease in it, I will definitely hang onto this photo from 1921. My dad's grandparents lived in the backwoods of Charleston, Illinois, in the late 1800s. With 8 children to feed, I know my great-grandfather did a lot of hunting and fishing to keep everyone from going hungry. Even though my great-grandparents had very little money, I know my dad loved spending time at his grandparent's house in the good old summertime. I bet the grandkids were able to live free and easy when they visited their great-grandparents. In the photo, it looks like my dad is enjoying being barefoot, wearing just a bit of clothing, and eating one huge slice of watermelon. Doesn't get much better than that! It was summertime, and the livin' had to easy!
AWW what an adorable photo. He was very happy with that giant piece of watermelon.
He sure does look like a happy toddler.
How adorable!. It is wonderful to have memorable pictures such as these.
Oh yes, I am so fortunate to have so many photos of so long ago.
Kool shot. I wish I had one of my dad when he was that little. He would have been 96 as well.
I wish you had a photo of your dad as a child too. My sister says there are no photos of our mother as a child. She is right. We can only assume our grandparents could not afford a camera. I have photos of Mom in her late teens, but not as a kid.
I have a couple photos of mom when she might have been about 10 or so but none as a toddler @Corbin5
@rebelann So glad you have those photos of your mom. Such a treasure they are.
@sallypup (21877)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That watermelon is about as big as your little Dad. Cute photo.
I am amazed he was able to hold that thing.
@sallypup (21877)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 The photo is a treasure.
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
Pretty awesome, how people take things for granted these days. Grand paps sounds like an amazing man.
I bet the grandkids were allowed to just be on their own and explore. A good time for a kid, for sure.
@valmnz (13155)
• New Zealand
What a wonderful photo. It's what summer should be all about!
I think so too. It really does signify kids just having the joy of running free. .
I miss those days, no shoes, watermelon and washing the juice off by getting out the water hose.
Me too. That was the life, in my opinion.
• Riga, Latvia
That is the cutest photo I ever saw. Every summer my mom would put Keds on me but every time I would take them off and run barefoot. I have an adorable photo of my mom.
I bet you did want your feet to be free of those Keds!!! So good to know you have an adorable photo of your mom. Those photos are priceless.
What a beautiful old photo. I enjoyed eating watermelon at the house of my grandparents, this is something I remember very well.
My dad and I used to eat it together when I was a kid. Dad always put salt on his watermelon, and my wanting to be like him, I did too.
@Corbin5 I never tried watermelon with salt, but as it tastes alike a cucumber I think it's good.
@LadyDuck I really enjoyed it with salt. The best part, it was just my dad and I enjoying that watermelon. Not sure where my brother and sister happened to be, but it was special to have Dad all to myself.
• Pamplona, Spain
Great photo and you can see and feel how he is enjoying that melon. Would love to have a photo something like that. Everything must have been so much better also in a good many ways.
He just looks so happy being free to do what a little one would love to do.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Your Dad is the "The Come Back Kid" for sure no wonder he looks so charismatic in there.
@lovinangelsinstead21 He is age 96 now, and he still is doing well. Dad sure has staying power.
What a sweet pic . . . I wasn't sure at first if that was a big ol' melon piece or a fish . Free and easy - times have changed, haven't they? Everything seems to require money these days . . . well, it still doesn't have to, but it's certainly not the same as it was back then.
I think kids were so free to roam and explore in days gone by. A shame the world has become quite a dangerous place for humans.
@Corbin5 Oh yes . . . I think there were a lot of lessons learned from all that roaming and exploring. Kids today are sadly missing certain learning opportunities from being supervised every moment of their childhood . . . but it's a different world now - dangerous like you said and kids DO need to be supervised.
@nanette64 (13730)
• Fairfield, Texas
Holy crap @Corbin5 , the piece of watermelon is almost bigger than your Dad.
I love watermelon, but looks like Dad had a handle on that thing.
@nanette64 (13730)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 No doubt. I love watermelon too......except for the after affects.
• Marion, Kansas
You could possibly get the photo restored. I have done it in the past. I also do high quality photo copies of pictures so I can put the originals away safely. It is a cool memory to imagine. Life was harder, but also simpler.
Yes, I think many of us yearn for the simple life. Yes, it would be a good idea to get that photo restored.
@ridingbet (37924)
the childhood experiences before is far more interesting than now. before we can play in the streets with no danger at all. now, kids play with their phones and inside their homes.
Yes, being able to be free to play and enjoy nature is something kids do today.
Awww, life was defintely simpler in the good old days..even if more than a little harder.
Yes, I think the good old days had benefits that outweighed the struggle.
Pictures like this are rare and give us a good glimpse into life during those years. My Grandpa had photos like that, and I believe that it was common for youngsters under about the age of 3 or 4 to be barefoot and to wear little outfits that today we would classify as a dress. Hold on to that photo and pass it down to your son.
Yes, I have seen quite a few photos of my dad in a little dress. Yes, this one is a keeper.
@josie_ (5094)
Kid's were pretty much left alone to enjoy their childhood. Parenting probably simpler with none of that child psychology mambo-jumbo that seem to create more dysfunction in children. BTW, I love that song "Summertime" especially when done in jazz. It fits nicely with this discussion.
I love that song too. My sister sings it beautifully, and I love it when I get to hear her sing that one. Yes, I think kids back then had a more carefree life.
Such a precious photo to have! What a cutie!
Thank you. My sister told me yesterday that she was listening to a recording of our dad's sister and her husband singing, and they kept asking "Face" if he was going to sing too. I never knew my dad's siblings called nim "Face," due to Dad turning out to be quite good looking.
It certainly doesn't get much better than that! We have had photos with creases like that but we've been able to scan them and then remove the crease marks with one of the software photo packages. But you probably know that. Just trying to be helpful.
I did not know that. I am glad to know there is a way to remedy that crease.
I love this picture. He really does look happy and carefree.
Yes, I love it for that reason too!!