The Origin of Candy Canes

Riga, Latvia
It all goes back around 250 years and actually began in Germany where at first candy canes were just straight white sugar sticks. The time of stripped candy canes came in about 1900 and they got their red stripes and were flavored with peppermint or wintergreen. Latvia has fallen behind the times when it comes to mass producing candy canes at Christmas. Last year I looked high and low and found no candy canes anywhere. This year so far I have seen one store selling them and the stripes on them were yellow and green. Of course children just love them for what they are. Simply candy canes which can be licked and licked or bitten and crunched and just fun to eat. Candy cane production began in the U.S. about the 1920s when Bob McCormack started making candy canes for his friends and family in the state of Georgia. As he saw how popular they were he set up his own business Bob’s Candies. It was his brother-in-law, who was a priest, Gregory Harding Keller invented what was known as the Keller Machine. This would automatically turn straight candy sticks into curved ones. It was a business then and is still a business today. Bob’s Candies was purchased by Farley and Sathers in 2005 and they still produce candy canes today. How many of you enjoy candy canes at Christmas?
@cahaya1983 (9414)
Interesting history! Candy canes are popular here too although the majority of people don't celebrate Christmas. My kid love them and call them the "J candy".
• Riga, Latvia
You know that is interesting to call it J candy because from the religious aspect I read somewhere that there are people who look upon that the J form of the candy symbolizes Jesus. @cahaya1983
@RasmaSandra Interesting, I never knew that.
@LeaPea2417 (15239)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Thanks for sharing the history. I like Candy Canes at Christmas.
• Riga, Latvia
When I was little growing up in the states I think I spent every Christmas eating at least a ton of candy canes @LeaPea2417
@LeaPea2417 (15239)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@RasmaSandra They are special
@rina110383 (22915)
I used to enjoy them when I was a kid.
I am a fan of candy canes.
I can take them or leave them. My girlfriend loves them.