Was I wrong?

I have a friend who is always late. We were going to go out for lunch tomorrow after church (we go to different churches). An hour after the time she was supposed to come get me (we trade off on who picks up who), she texted me she had to run an errand. An hour after that, she texted me she was on her way. Finally, two and a half hours after she was supposed to pick me up she texted me to say she was on the road and she's be there in 30 minutes. I was tired and hungry by that time. My energy was pretty low, and I told her we should probably do it another time (you guys know my health problems). I caught her before she headed my way; she could head home instead. I think she was annoyed. But she had waited so long I didn't even feel like meeting her halfway since it had already been 2 1/2 hours.
When someone is late, I think "They are telling me their time is more valuable than mine." I do not tolerate late. I give a person 15 minutes, and then I either leave or cancel.
I think exactly the same way.
Oh my goodness, by the time she ever got around to picking you up, it would have been dinner time!!! If she was annoyed, she obviously didn't understand that being late THAT long was not cool. I have a friend who used to be late ALL the time . . . she'd always call to say she was running late. Sometimes we wouldn't hear from her at all and we couldn't get a hold of her . . . and those times she had overslept and had her phone off . Some people just don't understand that they hold things up when they are late!
I used to have a friend I ran around with...anytime he'd go to the store or anywhere, he'd always say "I'll be back". Those of us that knew him well knew that could be anywhere from 10 minutes to two days...but he would eventually be back.
@JolietJake Well, at least he was a man of his word . . . he just left out the word "eventually" .
@much2say That's why he'd never state a time
I think you were very patient to wait even that long. That's pretty rude really.
I think so too, but I try to remember her life is busier than mine is.
@AmbiePam Maybe but 2 1/2 hours?
@JudyEv Yeah, I know.
My husband took a while for me to get used to because when he says a few minutes, he really means a couple hours! When we have to be somewhere I tell him at least an hour earlier than the actual time or we will never be on time. It used to make me angry but now I am used to it.
She's always late, so I should know better. But I'm always on time when we plan things on the off chance this is the one time she'll show at the time she says she will.
@AmbiePam I love to be early where ever I go too so I totally understand!
@LoriAMoore (10038)
That was pretty rude of her. She was thinking your lunch date as a afterthought instead of a commitment.
Very true.
If this keeps happening over and over and over again consistanty... tell to meet you 1-1.5 hours ealier than supposed to... and then, maybe then, she will arrive "on time".... But also ask her why her is delayed all the time , fyi..
@FayeHazel (11811)
I don't think she has a right to be annoyed... 2 1/2 hrs is a long wait. It makes you change your plans for your day and like you said you have some health concerns. She should have just told you that she 2 1/2 hours later time worked. 10 - 15 min is understandable 30+ min is generous
Yes, you're right.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Thats not nice keeping you waiting like that.
@sjvg1976 (14632)
I don't like such people . For me my time is very precious and I don't let it get waste in waiting for people.
This is something I do not accept, people who are late do not respect the others. I never wait more than 15 minutes, ONLY if there is a serious reason to wait.
@Srbageldog (5567)
I don't think you were wrong. That must have been pretty frustrating (and annoying) for you. It is rude to make you wait that long, especially when you haven't eaten.
@kiran8 (15258)
• Mangalore, India
After keeping you waiting for more than two hours, your friend should have been sorry and apologetic rather than be annoyed. But this is something I have noticed in people , many of them take time, schedule and promises for granted except when they are at the receiving end.
@katsmeow1213 (28927)
People like that drive me crazy! Personally I probably wouldn't make plans with her anymore after that, or perhaps make your own plans and invite her along so if she doesn't show that's her loss.
That is a terrible thing to do to a friend. I could understand her getting lost or getting a flat tire, etc., but that is truly unacceptable behavior.
Talk to her about it and agree to change things up a bit. If she's on time when you drive, why don't you drive and when its her turn, let her leave the tip as compensation. That's a bit of a compromise.
I know people like that, it gets old really fast..