Christmas Decorating: Senior Housing Style

@Raelove (16819)
Saco, Maine
I just read the post with the photo of the Christmas tree that Jeff aka @moffittjc and his kids put up over the weekend, which I must say is very nice. It just so happens that I decided to put MY tree up this morning, and here it is, all 1 1/2 feet of it! I bought it last year at Family Dollar, along with a string of white lights for it. This year, I decided to add a second short string of colored lights and some red bows that used to belong to my mother. Instead of putting it on a stand in the living room, I decided to put it on top of some totes in front of my kitchen window. That way, it'll be visible from the parking lot and street. I didn't see the point of putting it where only I could see it, so there it stands for anyone going by to enjoy, too. This took me all of about 30 minutes to complete, including a few ornaments that I hung from the curtain rod in the window. I just went outside to see how it looks out there, and it looks pretty darn good even if I do say so myself. I had been debating whether or not I'd even decorate this year. Now, I'm glad I did, because lights are still, after all these years, my favorite part of the Christmas season. Photo is mine.
From what I see here nobody puts up real trees. In Germany, many people put up a real one. In some areas, you can even go to a Christmas tree plantation and choose and cut your own tree.
@sallypup (26665)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Maluse When I put up a Christmas tree I buy a real cut one. I have bought a live tree but then found it impossible to keep it alive until warmer weather when I could plant it.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Artificial trees are the only ones allowed here.
@sallypup Maybe you keep it indoors for too long. In Germany, Christmas trees are put up on 24th December and thrown out on 6th January. When it stands in a pot with soil, you can then plant it in your garden.
I am glad you decorated too. Your tree will delight you and all who pass by!! It is adorable!!
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I've always loved small trees. Even on front lawns, I love it when people decorate the tinier trees instead of the big ones.
Your tree looks lovely and I think it is great that you have placed it where others can also enjoy its beauty.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks you, Judy. I just love seeing lights when I go by other places...so now I can give someone something to look at, too.
we only have lights in the window.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
My window sills aren't wide enough here for that, and only one window faces the street, and that's where my little tree is!
@Raelove I see
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@sallypup (26665)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's a sweet tree. Very pretty.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Good enough for what I need now. Thanks...
@sallypup (26665)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Raelove I've about decided to not have a tree this year. I've put lights and socks up on the front window instead.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@sallypup That's why I like this one. Inexpensive, quick to put up, and doesn't take up much space. But to me, it's the lights that matter, no matter where you put them!
That is a very cute true. I think putting it in front of the window is a great idea.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Makes more sense to me than putting it where only I can see it.
@Raelove i agree. I love looking at all the pretty trees in peoples windows
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@Happy2BeMe Oh, so do I, Laurel.
@kobesbuddy (43837)
• East Tawas, Michigan
That's just beautiful, I'd prefer a smaller Christmas tree, than our larger one that sits in a stand. Christmas is fine, I just don't enjoy the mess afterwards!:(
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Neither do I.
@kobesbuddy (43837)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Raelove Thirty minutes preparation, then thirty minute putting everything away. That's what I'd like!
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@kobesbuddy Yup. I've toned way down on what I have now for Christmas decorations. It all fits into one little plastic tote.
@DEMI12 (590)
• Guangdong, China
thats a very nice christmas tree, i am planing to buy one for my son, he is very exciting about christmas.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you...and I am sure your son will love his own tree.
@DEMI12 (590)
• Guangdong, China
@Raelove I hope so
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Lovely tree! It sure gives those full-size ones a run for their money.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, I think so, too. Thanks!
A lovely little tree, bringing joy inside and out. I get this happy feeling when I look at a Christmas tree - especially on Christmas Eve.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. Then I get sad when it's all over for another year...
@redurnet (1392)
I really like that. I want one exactly that size and which won't take hours to put up. My nieces used to come over when they were kids and spend hours putting up decorations but they are grown up now and I prefer not to spend too long on it. I really like your tree. It looks beautiful and flashy even if it is smaller.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you so much. And as someone else pointed out, it takes as long to put it all away as it did to set it up, which is about 30 minutes tops. I find the dismantling melancholy, which is why I like to keep it short. When my kids were small, I hated dismantling, because it signaled the end of another fun event that I would never get to relive.
@Fleura (7199)
I still like to put up some decorations and be a bit 'Christmassy' even when I'm on my own. Your little tree is just right.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks! I think so, too.
That is a lovely tree. We have a tabletop one but didn't put it up last year. Not sure about this year.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks! I no longer have any reason, nor do I have the energy, to put up a large tree. And to be honest, I find UNdecorating to be quite melancholy, as it's yet another Christmas that is behind me forever.
It looks so cozy with a nice Christmas tree.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Sure does!
@rina110383 (24135)
Cute Christmas tree.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you!
@Morleyhunt (19720)
This year we have two trees. One is in the living room another in the playroom. I still need to finish decorating the second one.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
As long as it still fun for you to do, then enjoy!
@moffittjc (42159)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's a cute little tree! I was thinking about getting one about that same shape and size for my daughter to put in her room! It's not the size of the tree that matters, but the size of the Christmas joy in your heart! That's why the scraggly little tree in Charlie Brown was such a special tree, because of all the love that went into it. I'm also like you...the lights are my favorite part of Christmas! decorations.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, Jeff! I think I paid $3 for this tree. It's about 18" tall, and one string of about 25 lights does it. Because it's green and gold foil, it needs few additional ornaments. I just hung the red bows on it and called it good. More than that would be overkill. So I think it would be perfect for your daughter's room.
@1creekgirl (10163)
Your tree is very pretty, no matter how tall or short it is!
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you, Vicki. It's one of those situations where "it's the thought that counts," and the meaning behind it.
@valmnz (12770)
• New Zealand
I'm glad you posted this. I'd been debating whether or not to decorate since it's only our son and us for Christmas. I didn't last year as we went away. Now you've convinced me to make the effort and put up our little tree - it's small, but all we have room for.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
My pleasure. As @moffittjc said above, it's not the size of the tree that matters but what it represents. So go for it!
It's very cute by the window. I will be giving my daughter hers soon.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy hers.