Thoughts on tracking one's steps

@FayeHazel (11791)
So, apparently - tracking my steps is not for me. Last spring, so - a year and a half ago - I noticed my weight was getting weigh (way) out of hand. I decided I needed to do something. Enter my first Fitbit. Took the plunge, and bought it off of Ebay. It was only slightly less expensive than if I had bought it in the store, but I still did save a little money. I bought the cheapest one, the "Zip" model, which is not on a wrist band like so many of them, but is a clip style fitness tracker. Well, I promptly lost it, within a month. I decided that I didn't want to wait, and a bought another one, in the store. So my first one had cost somewhere near $40, and my second one was somewhere near $50. That's a total of $90 on fitbits. I know $90 isn't a lot to some - but it is enough for me to feel. But I decided that if it improved my health it was worth it. Well, I had better luck with the second one - I had it over a year until, I finally lost it, too - about a month ago. Since I didn't really log in to the app much since it runs so slowly on my computer - I thought - maybe I should just go dig up my old pedometer. That's just a gauge that shows how many steps you take in the day, but doesn't do any of the fancy online stuff like a fitbit. So I was lucky enough to find it, and lucky enough that the batteries were still working. Annnnd I lost it, too, after a couple of weeks of wearing it. You know, in the long maybe this will be better for my long term fitness goals. Sometimes I would skip non-step related workouts in favor of racking up steps. Maybe now I will diversify more. I wonder if I should try my luck with another pedometer? Hm. Have you tried a step tracker or fitness tracker? * This is just my thoughts on the popular fitness tracker trend. I neither encourage or discourage anyone from getting one and I promote no particular brand. Here is a parody of a fitbit commercial :
Fitbit Commercials, 'All the Fits' (parody)
I have had 2 FitBits. I had the Charge HR and now I have the Charge 2. I love them both!
@FayeHazel (11791)
Oh cool, are those the heart rate ones?
@FayeHazel (11791)
@NJChicaa Nice!
When I taught, the nurse gave each one of us a little pedometer. I still have that little thing, and I probably still have it because I never used it. If I used it, I would lose it.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Ah yes, it would join my trackers in the black hole of wherever they get lost
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
I'm not really into these sort of things. I find them a bit gimmicky really. I know people who have become slaves to them and get really obsessive about making sure they do enough steps or get their heart rate up to certain levels or whatever. Just find something you enjoy doing and do it regularly and you'll be fine.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Ah, getting in to the habit is just the thing though. So far I've been doing more of those (cheesy) exercise dvds, but it does seem to help keep me motivated
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@FayeHazel Yeah, I think that's the trick. Make it a part of your daily routine like going to work or having lunch etc.
@FayeHazel (11791)
@WorDazza That does seem to work the best. At times I even look forward to it when in a good enough habit. :-)
I have a pedometer before and it really didn't help me with my fitness goals. I got a Xiaomi fitness band and this one was way better than my pedometer. I usually log at least 10,000 steps daily. I've had it for over six months and in those six months, I've only missed my 10,000-step goal thrice. Perhaps, you can enroll in a gym to help you lose weight.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Wow! Congrats on your step goal, that's doing great! Gym is a good idea, too
I think you need a microchip popped into your body somewhere. Perhaps you'd be able to keep that.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Ha ha ha.... oh yes. Good one.
@sugartoes (34764)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I have never used one that's just a waste of $ in my book set you mind of saving money & set a 3 mile walk as in a mile & a 1/2 mile both ways equals 3 miles & that has always worked for me, I lost 20 lbs in 3 months just on water & on fruits & veggies, & multi vit,
@FayeHazel (11791)
Congrats on your goals and accomplishment there. Thanks! That is good advice. One can mileage a path out too, to walk
@dpk262006 (54813)
I have not tried a step tracker.
@FayeHazel (11791)
They can be fun, but I find I'm sticking with exercise even without it
@dpk262006 (54813)
@FayeHazel Yes, it is we who have to decide whether we want to go for a walk or for exercise. We know how much work out we do, even without any measuring device.
@FayeHazel (11791)
@dpk262006 True, one can time physical activity or mileage your steps to know you're doing enough :-)
Yes, I had a pedometer, but it wasn't accurate, so I gave it up.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Ah -- I have heard that's an issue. Only had a few discrepencies with my fitbit. One time it said I had walked 5,000 steps in my sleep. Hmm.
@FayeHazel - Maybe you were dreaming that you were chasing a rabbit!
@FayeHazel (11791)
@teamfreak16 lol! Yeah! Like when the cat is dreaming her feet twitch
@shivamani10 (10727)
• Hyderabad, India
I used it. It is really chilling to see the calories burnt. I am going for another strip model introduced in India.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Oh cool, I hope you like the new model
@shivamani10 (10727)
• Hyderabad, India
@FayeHazel : I will start using it after Christmas.
@FayeHazel (11791)
@shivamani10 I hope you will enjoy it
I have a fitbit flex and like it. I find that it keeps me motivated to walk more. Mine is an older model. Ive had it for a few years but it still works great.
@FayeHazel (11791)
Seems like they come out with a new model quite often. I'm happy yours is helping to keep you more motivated :-)
@FayeHazel yes they do and they are too expensive for me to update to a new model
@FayeHazel (11791)
@Happy2BeMe Ah yes, I was quite happy with my "zip" but I can't afford to keep buying them lol
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No, I just walk , I don't worry about how many steps. I figure that as long as I am active that is what counts.
@FayeHazel (11791)
That is a healthy attitude :-)
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@PainsOnSlate (19223)
Never tried one (fit bit) but did join the YMCA and I do go every week day, I avoid it on the weekends. I lost a lot of weight there and feel so much better - I am going on 7th year... My sister has a weight problem and uses the fit bit but I don't see any changes in her, I hope for her sake it is working and she is losing (I only see her a few time a year so I have no idea if she is losing or not...)
@FayeHazel (11791)
Ah I used to love the YMCA here. (But my insurance quit paying for memberships there) I am happy you had success and I will hope the same for your sister too
I have an older Fitbit Flex. If you think it will motivate you to have it, I think its a great idea. Mine does steps, callries burned, sleep quality. No heart rate. Or instead of spending money you could make a goal to walk or workout X amount of minutes per day. That will help in itself without even knowing how many steps were taken . Best of luck.
@FayeHazel (11791)
That's a good point too. When I had a tracker - my goal was 10,000 steps a day. Now it's 30 minutes of activity a day
@rina110383 (23239)
Haven't tried any tracker. I guess I should try one.
@FayeHazel (11791)
They can be really motivational ,but sometimes I find I avoided other (not steps) forms of exercise too
@cahaya1983 (9655)
I have a tracker app already pre-installed in my phone when I bought it but I just never bothered to use it. I prefer not to focus too much on numbers when it comes to these things, I just try to do it regularly.
Ha ha ha you misplace things really easily I see. I had a couple cheap pedometers that were inaccurate so I got rid of them.
@Orson_Kart (4121)
I've got a fitbit that also monitors your heart rate. I like it but it wasn't cheap, so I glad I haven't lost mine. If you register online you get achievement awards which serve as a motivational aid. So far I've walked to the moon and climbed Everest and a few others I can't remember.
I had one but lost it in a few days. I don't remember which one as it was years ago. it didn't help me while I had it though