MAY AND DECEMBER

pixabay image
Suppose you were in a situation where your daughter is planning to marry a man who is a couple years older than her father - what would be your reaction? You know she has always been a bit stubborn - and trying to change her mind might be impossible - so what do you do? or what can you do? Probably nothing - except acceptance . And looking on the bright side, you could invite him to Wednesday night bridge with your friends . How do you feel about May/ December relationships?
My future son in law is only seven years younger then me. My daughter has always been very mature. They are prefect for each other. I am happy for them. My niece married a man who was a few years older then her Dad.
Those relationships do work when true love is involved. Those who marry for various other reasons invariable end up unhappy.
@Kandae11 yes that is true
@Kandae11 ???? 27/5000 I certainly agree with this view
I am fine with a May/December romance if it makes for a happy couple.
Some marry for money and position and some for love. And depending on how committed that person is - either to the money or love - it could work.
@Asylum (47194)
• Manchester, England
It is impossible to have an opinion on such relationships because every one is different.
Love is not the main reason why some people get married - agreed. I love your avatar.
@Asylum (47194)
• Manchester, England
@Kandae11 The guitar playing Santa is one of two temporary avatars that I am using for the next week.
@Asylum It puts a smile on my face.
There is no accounting for what attracts one person to another. Sometimes such age difference have no impact on the relationship. I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to.
If the couple really wants to make it work, it should. However interference from family and friends would definitely make it harder.
@tzwrites (3806)
@Kandae11 I think dealing with the interference would be hard but if they love each other then that love is enough
I would be the December end of such a relationship and while it would easy to fall for a May, the concept is absurd to me. Too many generational differences.
@JohnRoberts . Yes, the generation gap - clothes , music ,food , friends etc.
@Hatley It doesn't always work out.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Sometimes it hurts to watch our grown children make serious mistakes, but it's all i can do to live my own life.
We can be happy for them if it works out - but initially there will be worry.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Kandae11 That's because we don't want them to make the same mistakes we did. LOL
@antonbunot (9493)
• Calgary, Alberta
I believe young women falling in love with old geezers are yearning for a father figure. Most likely, the young woman and her father are not close. My only daughter (got 3 sons) and I are very close with each other. We are so close with each other that she turned into man . . . she married her lady friend. And now they have a one-year-old son thru artificial insemination . . . . .She is gay.
So, do you think it would have been different if she was closer to her mother?
• Calgary, Alberta
@Kandae11 She is our baby (youngest child) . .so, she is close to her mom, too. . . Here is their wedding photo . .
@antonbunot Which one is your daughter?
Atleast it is not the other way around (lol)
The other way around would raise every eye brow.
@Kandae11 Have you read 'Thorn Birds" ?
@allknowing l saw the series starring Richard Chamberlain on television years ago.
I'm okay with those months.
You are open minded.
@Kandae11 I try my best.
@Ganma7 (1985)
• Peoria, Arizona
As long as she is an adult, has had other experiences and knows what she is getting into, then I don't see why not. My mom had a relationship like that and there was nothing but happiness between them, it didn't last because of distance, but it was still a wonderful relationship.
That is nice to know.
@antonbunot Oh no! - a twenty year old ? - very bad idea.
@sjvg1976 (14548)
Ideally I won't accept the relationship and will persuade my daughter . But if she still doesn't agree I will let her go ahead as I know once children grow up they don t listen to their parents also.
Most parents would prefer the perfect marriage for their children, but it is really up to them to choose who they want.
It would be hard to accept but if they are in love...what else can you do?
Exactly.lf it turns out to be a mistake, hopefully she will learn from it.
I wouldn't be happy about it, but since they are adults, I would have to accept it and hope for the best.
If her mind is made up, that's it.
Thank you.Do not have any comment on this.
Nice of you to visit still.
@valmnz (13136)
• New Zealand
I think you're showing a lot of wisdom in the way you're handling it. I have no problem with such relationships, everyone is unique.
That is probably the way I would handle it if I found myself in that situation - but I have one child - a son. If he decided to bring home a woman my age, I don't know.....
@valmnz (13136)
• New Zealand
@Kandae11 isn't it funny, reverse the roles and I also have my doubts. It shouldn't matter to anyone but the couple. It's their lives.
@ridingbet (37892)
my parents are both May and December affair. what i mean is: my mother was born on May 10, 1922 while my father was born on December 24, 1922. but no, they were of the same age and not that proverbial May-December affair
You almost had me there okay.
@rina110383 (23068)
As long as there's no existing legal impediment between the consenting parties, then it's fine with me.
No legal impediments - then It is their lives to do what suits them best.
do m ot do it tats waytoo bgig an age difference yoarnets should havenever married momwas21ye qwas 51taht is a recipefor disasterforsgar gigts isery y oiu name it do nt arry someone old enough to beyour father you wlll gegrett
I have seen quite a few disastrous May/ December marriages - one ended in murder. However, there are others that work.
@nanette64 (13692)
• Fairfield, Texas
I'd ask her if she was just nuts or looking for a Sugar Daddy @Kandae11 .
From what I heard - he has a lot of money - old money. But then, she is also financially well of - so it must be love, or close enough.
@nanette64 There are some older men who can handle themselves better than some younger guys - or so I have been told.
@nanette64 (13692)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Kandae11 More experience; longer lasting.
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
Oh, at one time during our mini gathering. A friend said that her husband is 10 years older than her. And I was shocked. Because she is pretty. She said she was in love and now she is beginning to feel disappointed. I think your daughter made a right decision. I mean, we cannot hold their heart and we need to accept it.
The story isn't about me - I don't have a daughter. I have a son - and I honestly do not think I would be happy if he decided to marry a much older woman.
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
@Kandae11 Ah okay. And are you okay with that?
@JustBhem It would depend, I would have to first see how the two interact.