Favorite "Man" Songs #1 - "Working Man"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
It's over, man. We've reached #1 in my countdown of my favorite songs with "man" in the title: "Working Man" by Rush. Canadian rock trio Rush has always had a special love for Cleveland, Ohio. It was a Cleveland Disc Jockey, Donna Halper, who broke the band in the US when she began playing "Working Man," from their self-titled 1974 debut album, on her radio show. Whenever the song aired, the phones would light up with inquiries of where it was possible to buy the album. Oddly, "Working Man" was not released as a single, not even in Canada. Yet it remains a fan favorite, one which, after years and years of the band not playing it live, Rush began playing regularly in 2002. (Fun Fact: Alex Lifeson's guitar solo was named the 94th Greatest Guitar Solo by Guitar World Magazine. However, a master tape with an alternate solo was so popular as a download for the Rock Band video game that the band now sells it on iTunes.) I've linked to a 2011 Cleveland performance during the band's Time Machine Tour. This is really cool, if you like Rush: the group begins the tune as a reggae song! Don't worry, once they kick it in, they rock the living bejezus out of it. "Hello Cleveland!" indeed. (Info verified by Wikipedia)
Experience the Time Machine Tour! 26 Songs, including "Closer to the Heart," "The Spirit of Radio," and the seminal "Moving Pictures" album, performed live i...
Rush makes me want to stab my eardrums out.
One of my favorite bands!
@teamfreak16 Rush, Steely Dan, and Stevie Nicks. No thank you!
@teamfreak16 You'll have to excuse her, she's drunk.
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
They used to play this during rush hour here in the inland empire. Get it rush hour. Was pretty cool. Now radio stations are all confused as what to play to try to stay relevant, they do not play stuff like this anymore.
If they played this, that would be one less chance to play "Tom Sawyer" that day!
• Redlands, California
@teamfreak16 Yeah, local radio stations were really biased on this band, Sundays the LA affiliate would play whole Cd's of bands, every other weekend Rush was the band they played. 95.5 i KLOS is what I think it was and then our local affiliate would try to compete with them and they would play three rush albums out of nowhere. Was kind of funny.. Probably exaggerating, but what it seemed like. I can see people's disdain for them because of that. One thing was for sure everyone was in a hurry to be stuck in traffic and you could hear about 10 cars with their windows rolled down playing that song. Was kind of cool looking back on it. Only in California. lol
@crossbones27 - A Rush traffic jam. Nice.
@LeaPea2417 (15263)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I love RUSH! They are my favorite band and "Working Man" was one of the first songs I heard of theirs on the radio, along with Xanadu being on the radio. They are so talented.
They are one of my favorite bands. I got to see them twice, on the Signals and Power Windows tours.
@LeaPea2417 (15263)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@teamfreak16 My husband and I saw them in June 2011 on their Clockwork Angels Tour. It was a awesome concert that I will never forget.
@LeaPea2417 - Oh yes, they put on a great show.
@FourWalls (9895)
Too bad they’ve retired, or the “Rush Reggae” tour (where they do reggae versions of their songs) might be something even I’d like to see. Good series...and, as usual, we didn’t match a single song again.
They seem to like it, they did throw a little reggae into "The Spirit of Radio." Did you see the Yes R&R HOF performance of "Roundabout" with Geddy on bass?
@FourWalls - I just love it when they do that. (Searching for "sarcasm" emoji.)
@dgobucks226 (6652)
I wonder if the reason they did not play the song live for so long was it featured the Original drummer John Rutsey, who played on their first album recording. He was replaced by Neil Peart in1974.
That very well be. That, or they had become a prog band and it might not have fit the setlist. Maybe they just got sick of it. Who knows?
@teamfreak16 I think your right on it not fitting their set list.
@FayeHazel (11583)
Great choice
Thank you. It's one of my favorite songs by them.
• Riga, Latvia
I enjoyed this, Had never heard it before. I know RUSH just not this song.
This was very early. Neil Peart wasn't even in the band yet.
• Preston, England
great song history - you should work for Rolling Stone magazine
Oh, thank you. This is definitely a song with cool history.
Great song by Rush. Wow, they're really still rocking in the video.
I know. It's like they were still young.
You snuck in Rush! Argh lol!
Should've seen it coming.
@koopharper (6312)
Used to hear Rush on the radio regularly back in the day. I think being in Canada helped.
Oh yes, most definitely.
thanks for the info and the link.Good night
You're welcome. Have a great night!