Question of the Day- Holiday Tipping

By DB
Do you tip anyone for the holiday season? Is there any special reason you tip them? I tip my mail carrier and hair stylist. I like the service they provide to me and they both have nice personalities. Of course, it is possible to take the tipping thing to far with some professions. Photo- money.cnn.com/google images
I never tipped the mail guy . . . I have given him cold water on those hot days . . . and always leave a gift for him for Christmas. I actually rarely go to the hair stylist . . . but when I go, I tip them nicely .
Gifts are as appreciated as money. I like my stylist so much I tip each time I get a haircut plus a bonus at Christmas.
I always tip VERY well all year round. The only people we EXTRA tip are the servers and bartenders at our usual hangout. I never think to tip the mail carrier. I probably should as his brother just moved in right next to us.
When we had one of our NJ snow storms the carrier delivered our mail to our door because the plows piled so much snow by my mailbox I could not shovel it out right away. I really appreciated that and he will get out of his vehicle if some stupid visitor parks in front of my house and blocks off the mailbox. So, it's just something I do...
• Rochester, New York
I have never tipped the mail man as we don't have a specific one that comes on our route, they are always changing day by day. I always tip the hair stylist though.
We have the same mail carrier for years and I rarely have problems with mail deliveries, so it's just something I do to say thanks. I got the habit from my parents who always tipped the carrier at Christmas.
• Rochester, New York
@dgobucks226 I have given them bottles of cold water during the summer and if it's really cold out I have a cup of hot cocoa waiting for them.
@LisaSteinmetz That's very thoughtful. I remember my Mom used to do the same thing.
I always tip at the espresso shop.
That is a nice gesture and I am sure appreciated!
When I was living in the city I tipped the guy who brought my daily newspaper. City or country - we always tip the garbage collector.
That is a very nice gesture! The garbage collectors do work hard.
@rina110383 (22925)
If the person exerted so much effort and went an extra mile to deliver superb, excellent service, I'll give a tip.
Sounds reasonable...
• London, England
I used to tip the postman, waste services staff , cafe staff etc but since the recession and increasing grocery price costs in the UK, I had to stop! Most of my wages are eaten up by mortgage costs, car costs, travel costs and credit card bills!
Completely understandable! Sometimes tipping can get out of hand
The public officers (like mail carriers) are not allowed to accept tips, I usually offer a gift for Christmas. I also buy a gift for the physiotherapist of my husband.
Very nice! Sometimes a gift card in lieu of cash works just as well.
@LadyDuck Those are really thoughtful gifts to give
@dgobucks226 At least those are things that they can enjoy during the holidays.
Tipping has never caught on in Australia so I don't tip anyone.
Americans love to be tipped even when they don't deserve one. I think Australia might have the right idea, lol.
@dgobucks226 Our basic wage is higher than that of the US so our workers don't depend on tips to prop up their income.
I stopped giving some tips to waiters in some local restaurants. The reason, the waiters cannot keep them and it all goes to the restaurant owners.
Wow, that's not right Shavkat! Maybe the owners should help wait the tables then
@dgobucks226 It was a terrible act, my friend. That's the main reasons why I don't give waiter's tips.
I always tip taxi drivers and hair stylists. I always tip servers 20%, and bartenders a buck a drink.
Pretty much do the exact same thing!
@nela13 (618)
• Portugal
I usually tip the hair stylist and restaurant staff.
As do I, waiters and waitresses rely on their tips!