...but I Don't Have Time!!!!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Today was not as productive as I wanted it to be. Monday’s are busy under the best of circumstances, but today seemed to include a lot of extra distractions and obligations. That seems to happen to me quite often. And, as I browse discussions here and status updates on Facebooks, “I don’t have time” seems to be a common reason for not doing things we claim we would like to do. My oldest daughter was born with a passion for art. She has been doodling since she discovered that a pencil could leave a mark on a piece of paper. Over the years, she has filled up an innumerable quantity of sketchbooks with drawings. She’s experimented with watercolours and acrylic paints. Graphic arts are clearly a very important part of who she is. She has a lot going on in her life at the moment. She works part-time and is a full-time, straight-A college student. She has a busy social life and still manages both to help out around the house and provide transportation for siblings that don’t drive. However, no matter how busy she is, she ALWAYS finds time to draw. Ultimately, we all manage to squeeze in a bit of time for the things that are really important to us. When I have ten minutes to spare I tend to fritter it away. My daughter uses that time to draw. I think it’s time for me to follow her example, stop making excuses and go tackle those projects that I claim I don’t have time for. What do you want to accomplish that you feel you don’t have time for?
Time is one thing . . . and energy is another . I guess with me, I kinda stopped doing "my" things when we started a family . . . every bit of me dove into family life. But now that they are both in school, I do have some "me time" . . . still much of that time is spent doing family stuff. I used to figure skate . . . and I have put that on hold for over a decade now . . . I keep saying I would go back on the ice even for a while but never do. Maybe I should tip toe into the rink again .
It's hard to find "me" time for moms of small children. Those children don't stay small forever, though. If you want to figure-skate, go for it!
@Platespinner Exactly. I can feel quite good that I was a stay at home mom for over a decade now - I got to spend a lot of time with the kids during their precious years. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I used to actually train for figure skating, so that means time and money . . . that was another reason why I completely stopped - everything has been for the kids. But I think I may go back - not to train - but at least find some peace there again.
@Telynor (1142)
If I could get this house clean! But I settle for getting the kitchen tidy.
Having a spotless house is over-rated. I live here, someone is usually at home 24/7 so having a picture perfect home isn't going to happen. Life happens here and it shows.
This is a truly wonderful post. Now that midlife crisis hit me, I also spend at least a few minutes a day doing something that is strictly for me. Programming is something that I always wanted to do, but didn't get around to, because that's not what my father wanted for me, and then I had children. But I thought being a full time mom would make me forget the whole programming thing, but turns out I still crave for it. So even though I don't have high expectations of me, I learn something new about Java and Computer Science every day, even if it's only 5 minutes. You are absolutely right, we should make the time to do at least one thing that we desire, otherwise what's the point of life? Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter by the way. May she always be blessed, as well as you and the rest of your family. Have a great day.
It's GOOD to see you popping in again! There was a long time when everything I did was related to keeping my family fed, clothed, educated, and clean, but as the kids have gotten older I've tried to make a point of nurturing my own interests and skills.
@Platespinner Thank you. The last 7 years I was also like that, to the point I forgot who I really was. Now that the kids are out of the house daily for 3 hours (Portuguese and occupational / speech therapy), I started paying a little more attention to me. I can't believe how much we mothers need "me" time.
Drawing and panting are also my passions, but I also like to sew, I want to find more free times for those things I love to do.
I do a little bit of drawing and as much sewing as I can squeeze in. Now if only I could develop a passion for keeping my house neat and tidy .
@Platespinner To keep my house neat and tidy, I should throw out plenty of stuff of my husband. He keeps old computer magazines, all newspapers, everything that broke because he wants to have a look if it can be fixed, too many things to get rid off. Well the house is clean.
I guess I'd like to write more fiction - short stories or flash fiction. I have time really but lack motivation/inclination. I think I'm just basically lazy.
This is what I struggle with as well. When I was younger I always found time to write...but nowadays I lack motivation.
@Srbageldog I suppose as a writer you want to get it 'out there' where people can see it but it's hard to find outlets. I might start entering online competitions again. There seem to be a few around.
@koopharper (6318)
I have to keep chipping away at my self-employment dreams. Do what I can afford to do until I can afford what I need to do.
We've done the self-employed bit. It was more of a nightmare than a dream...
@Platespinner I'd like to at least get a legitimate shot at it.
@UncleJoe (8609)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Naps.
@JustBhem (22646)
• Davao, Philippines
And how I wish I can find a job that I like. And to accomplish more work other than being sad the whole time.
She looks very intense on what she's doing here. I wish that I had such a strong passion, I guess my only passion which is near and dear to my heart is baking, but it isn't something that I can complete in a spare few minutes like she can.
Baking would be hard to squeeze into the few minutes here and there that are otherwise easy to waste.
I would actually like to catch up on here but never seem to do that!
The easy way to catch up is to stop posting new material . Of course, that doesn't do much for the bank.
@yanzalong (8892)
I haven't had time to have my hair cut. It seems time goes very quickly and I always cannot catch up with things either.
It's been a year since I last went in for a haircut. I"m lazy about making appointments.
• Eugene, Oregon
I realize that those are projects that I want to do, but don't commit to and that is what it takes.
@rina110383 (23524)
I wish I also have that talent.
I've come to the conclusion that for most things in life talent is minor, what really counts is the time and effort expended.