A bittersweet evening: Last day of class

Pleasant Hill, California
I'm always kind of relieved when the last day of class rolls around. No more lecturing for a month or so. No more grading papers. But I'll also miss seeing the faces I'd grown used to seeing, and the papers I'd enjoyed reading. I think some of the students will miss each other as well, as I divide them into groups to discuss delicate subjects. Tonight, I'll talk about love. I give the Final in a week. Can you think of partings that you look forward to, but will also feel slightly sad about?
@sallypup (22079)
• Moses Lake, Washington
If I cave and decide its best we move from this little outpost, I will be more than sad. I kind of look forward to the move and yet in a huge way I don't.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Where are you moving to?
I am thinking about moving and leaving this place, give up those dreams, get new ones and a new start.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sounds bittersweet. Where would you go?
@andriaperry some times a new start is fun and good.
@TheHorse Undecided.
Are you likely to have any of these students again next year?
• Pleasant Hill, California
No, because I'm teaching the same class in the Spring.
There is always sadness when something arrives to an end. I am pleased to read books, I want to read the ending and when the book is finished I feel sadness because I will knew nothing more about the characters.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's a good example! The book that made me feel that the most was Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.
@TheHorse I have not read that book.
@crossbones27 (15212)
• Redlands, California
I f I did not know any better, I would say you love your job. Is that the love you talking about because that other kind of love is just mush and makes me go petuee, girls are gross. I make bad jokes.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Areyou Jughead Jones from Archie Comics?
• Redlands, California
@TheHorse You are another person I really like who responds. Just know good people and makes me smile. Yes Archie we roll like that. lol
@FourWalls (10089)
I found boot camp was a lot like that: couldn't wait to get out of boot camp, but then there was the possibility of knowing most of those 80 women I'd just sweated through boot camp with for eight weeks might never cross my path again.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Have you been in touch with any of them?
I can understand this. It would be hard to part with students you like. On theother hand easy enough to part with the troublemakers hah
• Pleasant Hill, California
Troublemakers are only troublemakers because they're troubled, though. I try to have compassion for them. If you dont show up, or don't turn in all of your papers, I have less compassion.
@josie_ (5190)
We need time out to recharge. "Love" is an interesting but frustrating topic. There doesn't seem to be a consensus of what it is. Good luck in trying to explain it in your talk. What subject do you teach if I may ask?
• Pleasant Hill, California
This is a basic Intro to Psychology, with an emphasis on psychology's application to day-to-day life.
I don't really get attached to much, so no.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Not even bicycles?
@TheHorse - That is an exception.
The end of a vacation comes to mind. It's hard to get back into the swing of things after a week off. I'm glad I don't have that problem any longer. Retirement is great.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I worry that I'd be bored/anxious if I retired. I like having stuff that I "have" to do, as well as stuff that I want to do, like refinishing speakers and playing music.
@TheHorse I'm busier now than I ever was when working. You won't be bored, I guarantee it.
Sounds bittersweet indeed.
• Pleasant Hill, California
This class didn't have the overall Mojo of some classes I've taught, but there were some individual students I'll miss.
@KrauseHome (33387)
When we left the other church many times I wish we could have said goodbye. Or like others have said when I travel and my husband is not with me
• Pleasant Hill, California
How come he doesn't go?
@Fleura (6225)
One particular occasion comes to mind, in the summer after I finished school I spent the break travelling round the country working on fruit farms. Most were individual farms but one was a big operation where they housed the migrant workers (us) in an ex-prisoner-of-war camp. We slept in concrete huts with corrugated iron roofs, were provided with truly awful food, and dragged from our beds at 5am by gang-masters. It was really a grim experience - except I met a friend there called John and we hit it off so well that we ended up both staying two weeks instead of the intended one. At the end of our time, John, who had a car, took me and another friend on an outing to the sea and I remember driving across the flat landscape of Cambridgeshire through fields of roses in bloom, listening to Talk Talk and the Blue Oyster Cult and trying not to cry because I thought I would never see John again, although of course I wasn't sad to leave the camp! Of course I was not to know that we would still be in touch more than 30 years later, so it wasn't sad at all, but this song brings it all right back
Album : It's my life Piste : 4 Année : 02.1984 Sortie single : 01.1984 (face A) Funny how I find myself in love with you If I could buy my reasoning I'd pay ...
• Pleasant Hill, California
Very cool story! Glad you're still in touch!
I was always glad for a break when I went to school.
• Pleasant Hill, California
All I have left now is giving the final. I may give me "dramatic end of semester motivational speech," but that takes only about a minute.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sounds like a class that kids that age would get much out of.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope so. This is an evening class, so my students range in age from about 17 to about 70. But most are in their early 20s.
@nanette64 (13899)
• Fairfield, Texas
Reach back and give that horse a kiss for me will ya @TheHorse ? It's so easy to get attached to those kids.