47 years ago today...

By JJ
I had my first meal in this house. I came home from school here for the first time. I slept here...in this same bed, actually, and this same room...for the first time. Of course, back then, 8 other people (my parents and siblings) lived here too. Along with 7 or 8 cats. 47 years later, it's just me and Scar. And the memories...lots of them. The Squirrel Tree out front was about 1 year old, newly planted. All the trees on the property were either saplings or didn't exist...yet. A lot has changed over 47 years. But much has stayed the same, too. 47 years ago I had no idea I would be sitting in this same room again. *looks around* Man...it sure could use some different paint and carpeting. You never really know where life's journey is going to take you...
@Morleyhunt (16729)
I've lived many places....some places more than once. It's a standing joke that my address has been changed so often...yet stayed the same. The house we are currently living in has been our home three times. People want to know if it's a new address or a return to an old address.
I thought it odd that a couple I know bought a house a few blocks from me...it's a house I lived in between 1964-1966. It was interesting when I went to visit seeing how different it is now from what I remember of it.
@Fleura (6225)
That's funny... we moved just round the corner but haven't considered moving back to an old home yet!
@Morleyhunt (16729)
@JolietJake we've never had a long stretch between living in a house...moving out...and moving back in. The one we live in now underwent the biggest change. They virtually gutted the interior and then rebuilt. It's better insulated now but there are some serious flaws in the rebuild.
That is very cool...I am sure there are some great memories.
The hallway has several pencil marks on the wall as a history of us growing...many of them are dated with the name/height of someone.
@JolietJake I love stuff like that. It is cool to look back on!
@JolietJake that is so cool
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
"You never really know where life's journey is going to take you..." Nowhere it would seem
I do know it will take me to the hardware store, I have a drainpipe I need to replace.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@JolietJake And maybe, after 47 years, the bed shop??
@WorDazza I replaced the mattress a few years ago, it was just a bit worn
I think its really nice when a home stays in a family for more then just 1 generation. I was part of the second generation to be raised in the same home that our Dad and his siblings were raised in, now my brother and his wife are almost empty nesters in that home, and soon they will move to the little house next door and let one of their sons take over as the third generation to raise a family there.
@Fleura (6225)
That is nice, the only difficulty is if there is more than one child, how to choose who gets the 'family' home? And what do the others get in compensation?
I'm not sure what will happen to this house in the long run...it needs several thousand sank into it to replace rotted duct work under it, new ceilings in three rooms, the foundation needs new supports in the middle...at least the roof doesn't leak....not since we had it fixed last year.
@Fleura With my Dad, who was the first child raised in the home to take it over as an adult it was an easy decision. Since it was on the farm, and he was the only member of that generation to go into farming he struck a deal with his parents that he'd build a new smaller home for them in exchange for the larger one. My brother who took it over basically farmed also, as did a younger brother. My parent gave to the one that they did because he married and had children, and the house was large enough for them, the other brother was and still is single and bought a home about a kilometer away. I believe that my brother will give to his younger son, he seems like the favoured one. Nobody really "owns" it, they just keep it up and pay the taxes and then pass it down to a member of the next generation.
I bet that it is very comforting being in your childhood home
Only one neighbor is still the same from back then, Mr. Luthe on the corner. Everyone else is a newcomer even if they've lived here 20 years.
@JolietJake I have the good fortune of still having almost all of the same neighbors from my childhood.
That's great though. I'm 37. In 37 years, I've slept in many different apartments and homes and in many different beds. I'm hoping that I stay in this new apartment for many years to come.
I'll be 58 in one month, I've lived many different places, but I am back here now.
@JolietJake even still, you had some level of consistency. I don't even know if my mom will be in the same apartment when I do go "home" to visit. They may transfer her to a smaller apartment or she may end up moving closer to my grandma (or with my grandma).
You certainly hit the nail on the head with that last sentence.
@dodoazo (11269)
I am 66 years old now. I still live in the house where I was born. The house, however, was already renovated or changed. But I am still here. The only thing I remember that I completed my elementary grades sometime in 1966. The room where we used as our classroom when we were in grade one is the same room I occupied when I became a teacher was assigned there in 1998. That was 34 years ago. I became very emotional. I cried when I first entered the classroom for the second time.
I lived in 4 different houses my first 10 years...we (Mom and Dad) were renting then. They had this house built and we moved into it exactly one month before my 11th birthday.
You have gone full circle in life.
@Fleura (6225)
When you're at the start of something you obviously don't know it! That must be a good house. And what's a squirrel tree?
It's the name I gave to the tree out front (it's a Sweet Gum) that gets squirrel corn and bird feed put out at it every day.
@Fleura (6225)
@JolietJake I see, I have the same squirrels out here.
@Fleura I wish I had more than 1 white one showing up.
@peachpurple (10708)
U lived 8n the same house for 48 years?
I moved out in '75 and moved back in a few years ago.
@peachpurple (10708)
@JolietJake the house is still in stable condition? No termites? My 16 years old house has termites
@peachpurple The frame is still solid.
Wow, that's so kool. So you have a lot of happy memories to share with us, right?
Some goods, some bad...
Yeah, that's life though @JolietJake I sure do hope you have funny stories you can share, you know we have inquiring minds
That is amazing! =) I would love to go back and even see my childhood home!
Dad was the only one living here and he moved out in 2005 to live with his s/o. He still came here once a day (still does in fact) because he never changed his mailing address or anything...but no one actually lived here until I moved in back in 2014.
@LoriAMoore (10031)
Memories. I know several people who bought the houses they grew up in or just somehow ended up staying there.
@vandana7 (57512)
Yeah..47 years ago, I never thought I would own a home in my lifetime. :)
@HazySue (17182)
How lucky you are to have been settled in your childhood home for so many years. We moved around a lot when I was a child. I always wanted to have a home that I could build a load of memories. As an adult I finally have it.
• Marion, Kansas
Probably need a new mattress as well. I am glad you are still around, alive and kicking and remembering.
I bought a new mattress a few years ago, that old one was shot
@UncleJoe (8579)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I can certainly relate to that. 47 years ago this water tower behind me was only a 5-gallon bucket.
@kobesbuddy (19465)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Good memories, that you will never forget! I'm living in our old family house, too. As a matter of fact, I'm sleeping in the exact same corner of Mom's bedroom, where she slept for over 50 years. I really miss her hugs, more than anything. I've lived different places, now like a homing pigeon I'm right back where I started in the first place! Life's giant circle and finally the two ends have met:) We are back home, where we belong!
This was always the biggest bedroom because there were three of us in it. Mom and Dad had one, my two older sisters had one, and my two younger sisters had one. Me 'n Steve 'n Jeff all shared this one.
@Yadah04 (2927)
I do not why why i felt a “homey” feeling after reading your post. Suddenly, it made me want to go back to where i grew up and check on my parents.