Are you superstitious?

United Kingdom
After discussing about weding rings and some people never taking them off it struck me about superstitions? Are you superstitious at all? Each country will have their own versions - but I think I can honestly say I am not superstitious about anything. Take black cats - some say to have one walk in front is bad luck - while others say it is good luck - so work that out! personally I have had three black cats and I don't think they affected my luck one way or the other. Walking under a ladder? Not bad luck at all - unless someone happens to be on it with a tin of paint or a hammer that could drop on you. Odd one this - I had a visitor who wouldn't leave through a different door from the one they came through - never heard of that one before. What about shoes on a table? Seems to stem form when dead people were laid out on the household table - but how can it bring bad luck? The same goes for opening an umbrella indoors - so what! Friday 13th - its just another day. Touching wood? Its just a common saying - but doesn't mean you have to do it - if you can find any! Something to do with wood from Jesus's cross I believe and the time when people believed in relic. What about wearing green being bad luck - something to do with offending the fairies. It amazes me that some people can still believe this fairy tale stuff. I like finding our about the origins form a historical point of view - but to actually live your life by them...? I can understand how they came about - when like and its workings were a mystery to ordinary people and they sought to explain the inexplicable. But now in these days of general enlightenment its odd to see that people still hold on to these beliefs. I've heard recently about people not liking birds on wallpaper, or finding peacock feathers unlucky in the house, or a robin flying into a house signifying death - personally I think its all hogwash! Magpies - 1 for sorrow - well only for the poor bird if he's lonely. Its just like as children we tried to walk along the pavement avoiding the cracks - but that was just for fun - not to ward off ill omens or evil spirits.
• Denmark
I can underwrite everything you've said. Yet, I have to object to this, "in these days of general enlightenment" If only . . . You're a newbie on this site. After a while and reading around you'll wonder if the Dark Ages are over. "Do you believe in ghosts?" is a question which will get you many reads.
No please, not another post asking "do you believe in ghosts"? I have seen two just this morning.
• Denmark
@LadyDuck Before I came to the sites bubblews and myLot, I had a different view of humankind. I was so naive to believe that at the beginning of the 21st century people were more enlightened and advanced in their thinking. Fact is, however, that in quite a lot of brains it's still pitch dark.
Thanks M.-L - interesting! Don't think I'll start a ghost question!
@ms1864 (7002)
• Bangalore, India
Ah...superstitions... My country has a whole different lot of them that even borderlines being wasteful.. of time, effort and resources.
Yes I think a lot of them would waste time and effort - in having to avoid things etc.
I am not superstitious, at least I pretend I am not superstitious, unless I notice that bad things always happen following a certain scheme. It's not popular superstition anyway, only something very personal.
• Austin, Texas
I've been told that I was superstitious. I said I believe in God.
Yes I can believe people would say that too.
I don’t really live by them but it never hurts to ask permission from trees when I get fruit from them or to say excuse me when passing by a great big tree
Now that I can understand as you are acknowledging their life force - I will say sorry if I step on a flower by accident! But I think that is quite different to just random superstitions.
@JESSY3236 (5020)
I do own a black cat. I actually had two black cats, but I think someone got the other one. I'm wearing a blue and green striped shirt today. But other ones I intend not doing either.
Yes its a shame more people don't like black cats - they say they are always the last to be adopted from cat shelters.
@Destesh (104)
• Kenya
Superstitions are not real
Agree
@rina110383 (23079)
No, I'm not. My parents are the superstitious ones.
Yes I think my mum was a little but I refused to get sucked in.
@kiran8 (15208)
• Mangalore, India
No I am not superstitious , although my extended family is quite superstitious when it comes to certain traditions like looking for auspicious time for all important matters that concern the family and a blind Faith in religious customs. I fall in with their wishes because I don't want to displease them.
I was never a superstitious but my mom is. Sometimes I tend to be infected. :p
@shubhu3 (13562)
• New Delhi, India
Many of us do follow superstitions. I am not superstitious.
• Derby, England
I am not really superstitious but don't go looking for trouble by walking under ladders and I won't put shoes on a table, its unhygienic for a start. Black cats are the hardest to re home in cat re- homing places but my family always choose them.
Yes I can understand the 'dirty shoes' bit but I think the superstition was for 'new shoes'. Yes poor black cats - we have adopted three strays - don't see the colour makes any difference to the poor animals. I did read that it was because in these days of selfies etc they didn't photograph so good to be posted on Facebook etc - how fickle some people are!
• Derby, England
@welshbabe It is starnge as though I am not superstitious I do many of the things or avoid doing them - a kind of social habit!!
@catsholiday Sounds like you may have inherited some of the habits without realising!
• Preston, England
I'm not superstitious at all
Nice to meet a fellow non-believer!
• Preston, England
@welshbabe thanks I am very skeptical about all kinds of beliefs and paranormalism
@ddnj2006 (589)
Superstitions are superstitions. But seems they have their reasons that probably are not applicable in some situations. Though there is no harm to obey at least, just for those who are afraid from the bad result that may.
I would think it highly annoying to have to live by superstitions.
@ddnj2006 (589)
@welshbabe yes especially when things have never been in placed. For me, I'm kinda randomly doing it.
@Icydoll (173)
@welshbabe most of the old generation people believe superstitions and always make their other generations to believe uneccessary things.i don't believe in superstitions..
@mohit459 (2848)
• Haldwani, India
Nah I'm not..
@Jotomy (6111)
I like the birds flying painting on the walls, it look beautiful