How's Winter? Do People Hibernate?

@dodoazo (11335)
It's already cold here in our place early in the morning until sun is up. While listening to the popular Christmas song, "Winter Wonderland" by Bing Crosby, I noted these lines from that song: Later on, we'll conspire As we dream by the fire To face unafraid, the plans that we've made Walking in a winter wonderland It's Winter I have learned from Science that animals could survive a season which is extremely cold like the winter by hibernation. These animals have the ability to survive, that is, taking a deep sleep until the end of the winter. What about humans? Do they hibernate too especially those the early people? Unlike this modern times, there are lots of surviving mechanisms, gadgets, food storage, among others. Thus, humans like the animals don't have to hibernate. I am just curious to know how those people prepare and make themselves ready for the winter. I don't know how long that season last for I belong to the tropical zone where we have only two distinct seasons, the wet and the dry.
@Morleyhunt (16795)
I believe that the Inuit do sleep a lot more in the winter. They may not hibernate, but rest to conserve heat and food.
@dodoazo (11335)
What is Inuit? Is it another type or kind of a bear that could stay long during the winter season while sleeping and doing nothing?
@Bluedoll (16814)
I love it! @Morleyhunt he he
@Morleyhunt (16795)
@dodoazo the Inuit are the indigenous peoples of the northern areas of Canada. At one time we referred to them as Eskimos....but that isn't politically correct any longer.
I wear warm clothes and dress in layers. I hate the cold!
@dodoazo (11335)
What do you mean by warm clothes? Are they thick or self-heating clothes? If you dress in layers, how layers of dress you wear to prevent getting chill?
@dodoazo I wear a bra and undies and socks... Then pants, long sleeve shirt, slippers... Then a robe over it all of if I go outside a winter coat. Sometimes with all that I add a hoody and/or blanket.
@dodoazo (11335)
@shaggin I love people strolling as I saw in the movie wearing a hoody jackets. During the winter, how often do you go out and do some shopping?
We have a long winter here, but people still go out and about even when it is very cold and lots of snow is on the ground. We are used to it and we know how to dress for the cold outdoors to keep ourselves warm. We wear very warm coats, boots, gloves, scarves to protect our faces, and hats.
@dodoazo (11335)
I have seen in the movies how those people clothed themselves. What are scalves used for? And what does frost bite mean?
@dodoazo We wear a scarf around the face if it is really cold. Have to protect the face from frostbite. Frostbite is an injury caused by freezing of the skin and underlying tissues. No one I know has ever had frostbite because the really cold days do not last that long and everyone is very careful to bundle up in warm clothes when outside.
@dodoazo (11335)
@Corbin5 That's it. I have a question though sounds ridiculous but it's dangerous. I have seen some videos of those kids or even adults tried to lick a snowed steel lamp post or road sign and get their tongue sticks and it's difficult to remove. Why? Have witnessed it?
Some people go to warmer climates in winter. I stay home, enjoying all that winter wants to give me. It's my favorite season of the year, and being where I live, Wisconsin, on the border with Canada, it can get quite cold and we can, if God permits, give us a lot of snow. I hope we get a lot this year. We just bundle up to stay warm when going outside, and turn the heat up so we don't freeze inside.
@dodoazo (11335)
This is quite clear for me. In our place, when we experience cold weather especially in late January or early February in which a very cold breeze is terribly freezing us due to the wind coming from Siberia where the ice of ocean is melting, we don't usually go out early in the morning. Or if we do we wear sweaters or jackets, cover our both ears,
@dodoazo I lived on Guam, and I don't remember a time when it was particularly cold in the morning. What is cold to you?
@dodoazo (11335)
@just4him like this month of December until February, we experience a cold and a chilling early morning brought by wind coming from the Siberia due to the ocean melting ice.
@sallypup (22028)
• Moses Lake, Washington
My husband still works but does not drive. We live about 15 miles from a little town. I have to get him to work every day, no matter if there is ice or snow on the roads. Once in a great while we might call a cab but that costs quite a bit of money. So from November to maybe April we dress in heavy coats and have gloves handy. I also wear a knit cap cause it is icy and frosty out even when the roads are good to drive on. I put a light bulb down in the chicken house to keep the hens a little warmer and to keep their water from freezing over. I make the cats come in at night. I am not a fan of snow and cold but its what winter is for me. I also buy a little more food just in case it is hard to get to a grocery store. We also have extra jugs of water in case the pipes freeze and the well pump quits giving us water. I use a cane if it gets too slippery out.
@dodoazo (11335)
Thanks. I am just watching a movie on how and what you while bringing your hubby to work, caring and feeding your pet and fowls. Now, It's clear as ice on how you do during the winter. Not to be insulted for my ignorance. Thanks. It's absolutely clear.
The animals that hibernates have the capability to slow their metabolism and reduce their body temperature, this is not something that humans can do. It is very cold here, but our houses are well heated and when we go out we wear warm clothes, a coat and boots.
@dodoazo (11335)
At least I know and confirm what I have seen from the movies. We have some friends in some parts of Canada and America but they never tell us what they do during the winter time. Thanks for this info.
@dodoazo We also drink hot chocolate (or coffee) when we come back from the outside, to help our body to warm faster.
@dodoazo (11335)
@LadyDuck That is also what we are doing when we do some walking early in the morning and when we come back and we still feel being cold, we prepare something hot to drink.
It makes sense if this discussion was posted by a person who comes from a cold place. Philippines is not a cold country and perhaps it is just a little cool sometimes. You shall not even have winter there. Whereas in my city it is winter now but fortunately it is not that cold yet. When it is very cold, I would like to have a hibernation
@dodoazo (11335)
What's wrong? I am raising this question for I don't belong to a country where there is no winter. I am interested to know. I want my curiosity be satisfied. If I belong to a country where there is a winter, do I need to post this question? Of course, not, for hibernation, frost bite, warm clothings, among others are already common. Well, if it doesn't make sense for you, you are free not to comment. I may seem rude of my reaction but it must be for myself this post has a sense for me.
@dodoazo Nothing wrong. I haven't been to Philippines yet. I am curious how cool it can be there As sometimes I did read some posts about Mylotters who talk about it is cold there.
@sugartoes (34840)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I can tell you I'm one that Hibernates in winter & there's really nothing to it, you get everything you need for the winter set up like the food your gonna need & anything else you'll need for 6 mos & just stay home & not go anywhere unless you REALLY need to.
@dodoazo (11335)
That's half of the year's food reserves. How long does the winter last?
@cahaya1983 (9705)
I only experienced a few winters abroad, the first time was quite harsh with heavy snowstorms and a curfew was issued. I loved the snow, but not the very very cold weather. I can't remember ever hibernating though.
@dodoazo (11335)
That's my big question. Eskimos could live in a very cold place. I don't know how they manage their lives especially kids.
• Riga, Latvia
It is hard to explain and to understand if you haven't experienced real winter. Take a look at this link.
How to Dress for Winter Guide: Expert Advice from Sierra Trading Post on Winter Clothing, Layering, Hypothermia, Frostbite and more.
@dodoazo (11335)
This is great. This is the information that gives me about winter clothings.
@sjvg1976 (14705)
Just wear woollen clothes. Set fire and sit nearby it that will keep you warm.
@dodoazo (11335)
At least if I visit your place I know what to do. i am alreadt well informed, Thanks.
We have 4 distinct seasons here in Canada. Right now it is almost winter. We do not hibernate but sure stay indoor a lot more.
@dodoazo (11335)
How long does the winter last? I am interested to know if you some fowls, animals on how do you keep them from getting frozen from the cold winter?
@UncleJoe (8617)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I wish I could hibernate but I can't even get through one night without having to get up to pee.