Free Food...or Annadana

@shivamani10 (10817)
Hyderabad, India
We do not give any money to a beggar who is well built and is capable of doing hard work. But, what is the position of people suffering from Leprosy? They are the outcasts and are downtrodden on account of the contagious nature of their disease.People afraid of even to touch them and do not allow them to any place. Should they die on an empty stomach. Nobody allows them to work and no one goes near them. They live in most of the cases in the thatched houses outside the limits of city/District/villages. It is for this purpose Free Food Centers should be established exclusively for them. I do not think India has introduced such centers anywhere in any state though the expenditure on various social service schemes is shown as increasing in multiple figures and times in the budget proposals year after year. Do you have such Free Food centers established exclusively for the Leprosy people?
@FayeHazel (11863)
I'm sad to hear that. I had thought leprosy was extinct? I cannot blame people for not wanting to catch the disease. I would have hoped there was a treatment center. I sure hope they don't starve :(
@shivamani10 (10817)
• Hyderabad, India
Where do they go? The people drive them away. The Govt. is not helping them. They are not allowed even to work. The only thing is they should die to starve.
@FayeHazel (11863)
@shivamani10 I'm no politician, but I would think a solution would be to send lepers to a colony or to some kind of treatment facility (is there treatment for the illness?) It would take some $$ to start up, but then they could work at the facility itself... it's terrible they are left to starve
@redurnet (971)
I live in the UK and we have food banks for homeless and for poor people. I will donate a can of food now and then when I can. I was in the capital city recently and I was approached by many beggars.To be honest, they all looked well dressed and well fed so I didn't give them any money. I prefer to give through official channels. Hopefully situations like this in your country can improve.
@shivamani10 (10817)
• Hyderabad, India
What about the position of Lepers there? We are having some food centers for poor and the needy. But not for lepers exclusively. Do you have such centers for lepers?
|As far as I know, we do not have leprosy cases here in Canada. I wonder why there are so many cases in India?
@nela13 (716)
• Portugal
I didnt know that leprosy still exists. Those poor people deserve health care as all the others.
@shivamani10 (10817)
• Hyderabad, India
Who will come forward to assist them? Even Doctors try to avoid them after showing lot of sympathies.
@Alian123 (393)
Well food centers specifically for people with leprosy? I guess no... I don't even know if we have food centers here in our place. But people with leprosy should really be helped with this food center exclusively for them since they cannot earn their own money because of their health condition. Still they mus not be left as outcast; they also need attention and care, they're still people like us.
@shivamani10 (10817)
• Hyderabad, India
I appreciate you for your response. You have accepted that you do not have food centers for Lepers instead of diverting the issue. Thanks. Are there Lepers in your country? I doubt. Otherwise, your Govt. would have taken good steps, unlike India.
I hate when others are judged by the way they look. Not meaning fashion and ugly faces but on the ability to be able bodied by viewing them. No one knows the level of pain another lives with unless they get to know then. There are so truly disturbing people in the world. It's not nice. How can people be so cruel. have a good day.
@shivamani10 (10817)
• Hyderabad, India
People keep them away just for fear of the contagious disease. Otherwise, we would have allowed them to sit on our lap.
@LeaPea2417 (15448)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am not sure about that here.
I read that so many have leprosy in India partly because the country's population is so huge but also, campaigners say, because the Indian government and some international donors are neglecting the fight against the disease. Yes, there should be free food centers for those who have leprosy. In the USA, around 200 cases are reported in the United States each year, but I do believe the triple-antibiotic treatment is successful.