You're doing it wrong!

United Kingdom
For two years, that's right TWO YEARS my friends, I've been putting the wash powder in the wrong compartment of the washing machine drawer. I've done it on autopilot after the last washing machine I used required the powder to be put in the bit on the left. Today I've registered the fact that the middle compartment is the biggest and is labelled with a 2, both of which indicate that this is the compartment that takes wash powder. Trust me, I can't think of anything more boring either but this is the thing that's been on my mind all day since I realised this morning and it will be on my mind til I point it out to friends and strangers in preparation for judgement
@Orson_Kart (4121)
After 2 years of sticking it in the wrong slot you'd think there would be consequences.
@LilyBeBack Have I been hung out to dry?
@Orson_Kart Sorry! I wanted to think of a witty riposte but I took too long and forgot
@LilyBeBack You usually 'like' my post and come back to me later, but not this time. I thought I had upset you and I have been just a little concerned. My mind has been on a boil wash and been through the mangle until now. Glad you replied before I went to bed as it would be bugging me and ruin my beauty sleep. Aren't I daft?
Old washers that don't have compartments to put soap/bleach/fabric softener in...you're actually supposed to pour the laundry soap in the tub first, then put the clothes in. I've always been a rebel.
Goodness gracious me, will this madness never end?!
@redurnet (934)
I got a new machine recently and it has three drawers instead of two like my last model. I've no idea where to put anything!
What I know for definite now is that the bit labelled with a flower is for fabric conditioner - it's usually the compartment that just has a little hole for you to try to pour the liquid in but fail and end up with it dripping onto your kitchen floor and into the rest of the drawer. The other two compartments should be different sizes, and might also be labelled 1 and 2. Number 1/the smallest one is for prewash, and I haven't got the slightest idea what that means, and number 2/the biggest one is for wash powder/the main wash. If nothing else good comes out of my day, I do hope that now at least two of us might have learnt how to wash our clothes
@YrNemo (8474)
There are lots of compartments, tiny drawers, etc in my washing machine which I have no clue about. We bought it brand new more than 15 yrs ago.
Do you essentially keep it on the same setting all the time? I do, and I don't even separate colours, everything just goes in together and the colours never run so I'm keeping it that way... The only time I ever use a different setting is when I put "hand-wash only" things in on the delicates setting
@YrNemo (8474)
@LilyBeBack I experiment different settings every now and then. So far so good. Only once in the last 15 yrs that I have had some trouble with a red something coloring a white hand towel into pinkish color. Quite nice too...
@YrNemo That's good going! Well, I've done two loads of washing since I learned my mistake yesterday and it's made absolutely no difference whatsoever - the only change is that I can now fit more wash powder in the drawer and therefore spend more money on it in the long run
Well, at least you are now using the right compartment. It took us a year to figure out we would have more counter space in our kitchen if we put the microwave in the panty.
Same here!!! I've got a tiny kitchen, it's essentially a hallway with sideboards, and for a full year I had my quite large microwave on the longest sideboard, then I realised I could put it on the other side of the kitchen and free up half of the space
@LilyBeBack Well, at lease we find solutions even though it sure takes us a long time to find them.
@Corbin5 Just one short year to go before we learn a new lesson
LOL I do things like this all the time. Its funny it took you two years to notice your mistake. What is the difference in the wash loads? Was your laundry getting clean enough the way you were doing it incorrectly?
There is absolutely no difference so far except for the fact that I can now spend more money on wash powder because I can fit more in It was all coming out clean before but I was curious about why it would come out smelling of absolutely nothing, I put it down to the fact that I don't use fabric conditioner but now I suspect it was my mistake that caused it I'm not guna start using more powder though cos it's always come out clean so I might as well carry on using the same amount. I think. Maybe in another two years I'll change my mind
@LilyBeBack adding more powder would just cost more money so I say if it isn't broken don't fix it as the saying goes. No scent after wash is okay but odors would not be.
@shaggin Yeah there's definitely none of that so I'll stick with my current usage
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I just pour my laundry soap over the clothes.. we
I didn't even know that was an option
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@LilyBeBack thats what I've always done.
@DEMI12 (596)
• Guangdong, China
you will know later.
@Deepizzaguy (7591)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
We all make errors. Learning from them makes us wiser.
Hmmm and the clothes still get clean ? and the washing machine had no hiccups ?