In Response

@nanette64 (13807)
Fairfield, Texas
To a discussion that @poehere did yesterday regarding Pit Bulls and the fear that a lot of people have about them, I decided to put in my two cents. There are 45 million dog bites each year and do you know what the #1 dog is that causes them? The Chihuahua. Yup, that little, 20-pound 'Weenie Dog'. Not only do children get bitten by them but adults too; of course that would never make the news. Can't you picture the headline? "6'4", 240 pound Man Bitten By a Chihuahua". The Pit Bull and other breeds (Rottweiler, Doberman) take the brunt as the problem. In most cases it is children that cause getting bitten. A dog; any dog, will only take being poked in the eyes, ears twisted, tail pulled, feet stepped on or being hit before their natural instinct mode kicks in and they bite. Most of these instances could be avoided if the parents of the child taught the child correctly. Personal example: When I ran the animal shelter located on my property, a husband and wife; 8-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter came to look at a dog to adopt. As we were walking along the kennels, the girl went 2 kennels ahead of us, reached in the gate and punched a dog so hard in the face that it yelped. I yelled, "STOP IT!!" "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!!" "YOU DO NOT HIT AN ANIMAL!" The father said I shouldn't talk to his child that way. I told them to leave the property as they were NOT going to adopt from this shelter. Can you imagine if that girl did that to a dog what she might do to a cat? And people wonder why their kids get bitten? I'm sure if that dog would have bitten her in response, the parents would have gone ballistic and sued the shelter instead of correcting the girls behavior. So for you folks out there who have kids and pets, besides 'training' the animal, how about 'training' the kids.
For Pits' Sake's award winning Safety Around Dogs Program
This may be true, however, Chihuahuas are not the dog responsible for most deaths from attack. Personally, I hate anklebiters...this includes kids in that category.
2017 U.S. dog bite fatality statistical data collected and recorded by DogsBite.org. Source citations for each fatality victim are located in Fatality Citations.
@JolietJake Chihuahuas bite but they cannot even kill a cat.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
LOL, I get more cat bites on the ankles than I would a dog @JolietJake .
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
@LadyDuck Oh but they can. A Chihuahua like any other dog can grab the cat by the neck and shake it til it snaps it's spine.
I agree. Kids need to learn how to behave around any pet. Heck, most adults need a refresher course on how to treat and care for a pet of any kind. Schools really should teach, in my opinion, how to behave around the creatures we have here on this earth. The world would be a better place is humane education was taught in schools throughout a child's school career.
@nanette64 The USA gets a grade of D regarding animal welfare due to the lack of humane education and due to cruel slaughter practice. A shame.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Very true. Like I say....animals are just considered 'things'.
• Derby, England
They say there is no such thing as a bad dog just bad owners. Sadly many people who own these dogs don't know how to train them or deliberately train them to be vicious. As you rightly say sometimes dogs are just retaliating when they bite.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
Sad ain't it @catsholiday ? I've found too that some people shouldn't have animals OR kids.
• Derby, England
@nanette64 That is a sure fact!! You can at least ban them from owning animals but not having kids!
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
@catsholiday I think future parents should have to go through parenting classes 'before' having them.
@UncleJoe (8556)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
We potty trained our kids the same way as a puppy. It only takes one time of rubbing their noses in it and flinging them out the door. Voila! Instantly trained.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
And here I thought I was the only one that did that @UncleJoe . Actually I made my daughter wear her wee-wee undies on her head.
I am not surprised on this.I do not care for that breed.No reason.My brother had one and he was the worst.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
A Chihuahua or a Pit @amadeo ?
@nanette64 Chihuahua .I do not care for them.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
@amadeo I fondly call them "dust busters'. (low to the floor to do the dusting) LOL
How cruel that one. I am surprised the dog did not bite her. I always thought it is a good idea for kids to grow up with animals but if the parents are not going to teach them how to treat animals with respect I take back that they should grow up with them.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
I had trained all the dogs at the shelter @Hannihar , so that is the only thing that saved that girl from her stupidity.
@nanette64 But she hurt the dog when she punched him didn't she Nanette?
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Hannihar Yes she did. After 'those' people left, I checked on the dog. When I stepped into the kennel, he actually backed away from me. The mental hurt was far worse than the actual hit by the child. I stayed in the kennel for quite awhile loving on the dog.
I have to admit I'm very fearful of pit bulls, mainly because my cousin's daughter was attacked by a group of them, as she walked down the road, and was saved by a man driving by. I think the fear is that pit bulls kill, and small dogs can only cause a little pain. Though, the smaller dogs are so annoying. Coral's dog a chiweenie, will run up and bite strangers if we don't stop him. I'm glad you didn't let those horrible kids adopt a puppy.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yeah, small dogs can be a pain in the butt @misunderstood_zombie . We always were vigilant about who we adopted dogs and cats to from the shelter.
@valmnz (13162)
• New Zealand
It's time someone came out and openly said that. Good that you had a story to back it up!
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh I could tell you some doozers that I had while running the animal shelter @valmnz .
I totally agree.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Teep11 (6523)
Never will I Tanikka Paulk punch a dog in the face. Goodness gracious. There's a lot happening now. Pray that there isn't any more incidents like what's described above.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
Kids are just not being taught anything nowadays @Teep11 .
@JESSY3236 (5047)
I have a fear of dogs. A dog jumped on me when I was little. Kids today are horrible.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
Some people don't realize either how certain hand movements can instigate a dogs response. My daughter was visiting her grandmother and the guy she was married to had a dog in the house. Now mind you my daughter had slept with this dog on numerous occasions. One day they passed each other in the hallway and my daughter (not thinking), reached towards the face of the dog. The dog immediately ripped her face open. Fortunately a few stitches and my daughter healed just fine but from then on she was more cautious of what and how she did things with the dog. @JESSY3236 .
My dog who we have had for 8 years has taken many kinds of treatments from little ones and she has never ever shown aggression in any way. We do teach our kids to be nice to animals but at 1.5 years old they don't get how to be nice yet. My poor fur baby has had her tail pulled, ears pulled, eyes poked, been crawled on top of and she turns around and licks them!! It's all in how the dogs are raised in my opinion. My dog is a Rottweiler and the sweetest dog I have ever been around in my life.
@nanette64 (13807)
• Fairfield, Texas
Correct on how the dog is raised @LovingMyBabies . I've known several Rott's that were total sweethearts.
Perfectly said!!