Living on Social Security

Good morning. How many here depends on their Social Security. Do you have other income with this. Many are finding hard just to live on Social Security. I took mine when I was at the age of sixty two. Just wanted to get out of the work force. I could not depend on my SS.so I had a good investment while working. At what age did you start collecting SS. Are you able to live on this? photo online
It's my only income and it's not easy.
@Just4him I can see that.
We are both retired and we have our monthly Pension. In Europe, when you work, you are obliged to pay an amount proportional to your salary for your retirement. When you retire you receive your monthly pension. The higher your salary was, the higher is your monthly pension. My husband retired at 65, I retired at 64, before you are not allowed. From the year 2018 the retirement age will be 67.
@LadyDuck gone up and same is going to happening here
@amadeo In Italy soon it will be retirement at 70 years old... it shows that the Italian Government has no more money to pay the pensions, but the politicians have money to pay their annuities. Shame on them!
@LadyDuck they are supposed to raise the age here to 68 I believe.
My husband worked for the federal government and I was a teacher so we did not pay into Social Security. We have pensions which are just the right amount to live comfortably. We did get a bit of Social Security due to working at part-time jobs as teens and in college, but the amount is very tiny so we just have our SS sent to our son's account.
@Corbin5 I see.Why is that you did not pay in SS?you were a teacher and did they not take SS out of this?
@amadeo Those who work for the government of the USA do not pay into Social Security. Our state of Illinois opts out of Social Security for teachers, and we have pensions instead.
@Corbin5 I never knew this, but the pension is probably much higher than the SS.
@UncleJoe (8547)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I started collecting at 62, long before retiring. There's a difference between "existing" and "living" on SS. It's what is known as "Too much month at the end of the money!"
@UncleJoe while you were working.Did you invest any of your money.To supplement this?
@UncleJoe (8547)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@amadeo 9/11 destroyed most of my investment stock.
@UncleJoe oh!that is so sad there.Sorry.
I’m still working. Will be for at least 8 more years. Eventually I’ll have my pension, my investments, and my social security.
@NJChicaa that is great you should be set there.Most people do not invest any on their money
@amadeo I've been investing for 14 years now. Several hundred dollars comes out of my paychecks automatically each month.
@NJChicaa Good for you.This is what we did when Mike and I both work.Had many good luck with the investment. Still have them now.SS is just petty cash to me.
I live on it yes. And I had to adjust my life to the amount I get. so I guess so in many ways.
@sharon6345 yes many had to adjust.Many did not invest their money while working.
@amadeo Yes when I was working I had nothing to invest. But now I am doing something called acorn app and have savings with ally bank. so it's better for me.
@nanette64 (13821)
• Fairfield, Texas
I was 62 also @amadeo but it was because of spinal injuries; I had no choice. What does make me mad is all those years I worked as a Go-Go Dancer, the IRS did not take taxes for. It wasn't until later that they realized how much they were missing out on that they started doing it. If they had done it from the beginning, you can bet my SS would be a lot higher than it is.
@nanette64 yes that is right there.
@nanette64 (13821)
• Fairfield, Texas
@amadeo I did just get an update from SS today regarding next years amount. I'll be getting $19.30 more for 2018. Yeehaw!!!!
@nanette64 that is great there.You are going to be rich.
• Abuja, Nigeria
One can make a living out of SS...., but it talks time and focus to achieve a good SS
depend where you are living.
@LoriAMoore (10003)
I get so mad at people who think the government was supposed to care for them 100% and that social security is supposed to meet all of their needs. It was always intended to be a supplement to their own savings and investments for their own retirement. I am now working now and waiting for a Social Security Disability hearing. It's been two years and I've been living off of my savings. I think if I am awarded Social Security it will be a God send and I will be able to get by fine.
@LoriAMoore.Same here I invested my money and done real well.Still have them and invest. You should get SS disability.No problem there.
@wongchoiyee (6577)
Its not easy to get a social security here in Malaysia except if you are laying on the bed with no ability.
@wongcholyee wow that is terrible there.so sorry.
@amadeo its ok no problem.
I am no where near retirement age. My kids and I live currently off of survivors benefits.
@shaggin I see.So your all set for the future there.
@amadeo nope only until my son is 16.
I am living on Social Security and didn't plan as well for my retirement as I should have. Unfortunately I took an early retirement when the company I worked for closed and I lost my job. I probably could have (or would have) worked for many more years so it would have added to my benefits but I make do each month (so far).
@Marilynda1225 did you get a chance to invest any of your money?
@LeaPea2417 (15364)
• Toccoa, Georgia
We are not old enough yet to get it.
@LeaPea2417 I see and you will get there someday.
@JustBhem (22517)
• Davao, Philippines
Since I don't have a job at the moment, Yes! I am living with my Social Security pension every month.
Social Security helps but not enough for me to live on. I got Social Security at 62.
@DEMI12 (590)
• Guangdong, China
we do not want to live on these, my husband and i are always trying to find some money born money project.
I should apply for my SSI.
@rina110383 (23159)
Haven't started collecting SS yet.
I am not old enough I am just 52, but my sister is on SSD and she barely gets by, most months I buy her toilet paper and stuff ike that I do not work for anyone and I do not pay in SS, I will have to live off what I make and what I invest in, I do not have all my eggs in one basket.
We are on a part pension as we have some superannuation. I'm sure we would find it hard if we had no other income.