Do you eat food after its expiry date?

This question was asked on one of our local radio stations yesterday and 72% of the people say that they do. For me it all depends on what it is and when the expiry date was. There are somethings that I just won't use if the date is expired but other things I have eaten and they were just fine. So do you eat food after the expiry date or best before date?
I do eat food after the expiration date, but I do smell it/check it first. Dairy products I am a little more careful with.
Dairy I usually dont take the chance
Do you eat food after its expiry date? Well, let's put it like this. I've been to where I got my meals from the dumpsters behind grocery stores back when I was homeless. So I'd say yes, probably.
You do what you gotta do to survive! Glad you are in a better place now!
@Luap1050 (377)
..and I don't mean to make a flippant comment , but there is a lot of good food stores throw away in dumpsters that's still just fine . Sorry you were in that position but hey , one has to do what they gotta do.
I do not consume food beyond expiration date. Often food is stale before expiration date.
Yes you can usually taste when something is getting close to the expiration date
@Luap1050 (377)
@Happy2BeMe and if it's supposed to be white but a has a green tinge....welll....
@Luap1050 ya in tgat case green is never good
I don't out of fear. Ya just never know what an expired food will do, so I toss it.
It is not worth the risk
@nanette64 (13900)
• Fairfield, Texas
With all the chemicals in our foods today @Happy2BeMe , I could eat from a loaf of bread that has been expired for a full year and it would probably be just fine.
Lol aint that the truth
@tzwrites (3820)
We eat so many preservatives and chemicals that I'm surprised people still die. We should be like those McDonald's cheeseburgers that never rot or go moldy
@nanette64 (13900)
• Fairfield, Texas
@tzwrites You got that right. Who needs to be embalmed.
yeah, I do.
Expiration dates are just suggestions
Yes i have read a few different articles about that and how long some things are goos for after tge expiry date
• Denmark
Exactly!
The best before date is different then the expiration date and sell by date. I eat food LONG past all those dates lol the only thing I can't eat past the date is yogurt as it gives me the runs.
I dont eat any diary products past their date
• Denmark
@LoriAMoore @Happy2BeMe @JohnRoberts @infatuatedbby @Courtlynn @rubyriaz007 In Germany, charities get food from supermarkets when the expiry date has come. It's perfectly ok for some more days, also dairy products. You could feed the starving people of the world with the food that's thrown away in developing countries by uninformed people.
Yes you are right about that. I know the food banks here hand out food that is near or after the date and people are thankful to get it.
There are dumpster divers posting on YouTube of stores here in the United States where they toss edible food away in the trash. They could donate it to charities or whoever in need of food instead of tossing it out. It's such a waste.
@infatuatedbby Yes that is a waste.
@rina110383 (23666)
Not food, condiments, yes, I've tried expired condiments twice.
I have used expired condiments and never had a problem
@Luap1050 (377)
Condiments are usually pretty safe for a long time ...so are those damn Twinkies and processed bars ..I think they could survive a Nuclear War even !
@Luap1050 lol yes probably so
I eat best by or before the expiration date.
I aleays try to also
@Happy2BeMe Yes, I don't like to waste food.
@rubyriaz007 (2594)
I don't have a food after it's expiry date is over. I feel it is not safe to have it. We may fall sick. So I think we should not eat the food after the expiry date is over.I would definitely throw it away.
It is best not to risk getting sick
@Luap1050 (377)
I certainly do ...Yogurt for example I find is just fine a week or more after the " best by " date ....Like Jennifer says , a good sniff tells the tale .... Things with Eggs in them and meat, very rare I would though , I gotta be really hungry and the fridge and cupboards empty!!
I can relate to that lol
• Riga, Latvia
If it is something in my fridge then usually it depends on how long after that date I still have the food but if it is in my freezer then of course I don't worry about the expiry date.
I dont worry about things from the freezer
@FayeHazel (11863)
I will after it's best by date, but try to not do it if it's an expiration date
I am the same way
@FourWalls (10100)
It depends. There's a difference between "expiration" date and "best by" date (not to be confused with the electronics store Best Buy ). I will not use dairy or meat products after the expiration date. Canned food that says "best by" and it's a month or so past, I'll use that (as long as there's no offensive odor coming from the can when I open it).
I agree with all of that
• Derby, England
It depends on what it is. Having been brought up in the West Indies where we scraped ants from the sugar and sieved creatures from flour I do know food lasts a lot longer than stated on packs . Some packs are "Best Before" while others are " Use By". I ever eat meat beyond the use by date but many things like dried fruit and tinned stuff is fine for a month or so beyond the date.
Eating meat beyondnthe use by date is way too risky
@topffer (30772)
• France
It depends of the food. For a yogurt, I do not care about the date, if it is a piece of meat, I do not eat it.
Meat and dairy products i never eat pass the dates
@LoriAMoore (10167)
No, I toss it upon expiration date but hubby thinks I'm silly.
Not worth taking the risk
@dodo19 (28125)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It depends on what the food is. I may or may not eat it.