Uphill Battle or Over-the-Hill?

@UncleJoe (8513)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
One would think that by the time a man reached my age in this country, life would be a lot easier. However, in my case, one would think wrongly. My expectations have been heavily assaulted. Up until a few short years ago, (my mid-60’s) I hardly felt my age. I could still swing a shovel or chainsaw with the best of them. Then came that frigid night when I hauled my last load of logs to the mill. A layer of snow and ice covered my load and the four industrial nylon straps that secure the logs were frozen to the top ones. The mill cranes couldn’t unload the trailer until those straps were removed. I had no choice but to climb up on top and try to pry the straps off with a crowbar. Standing up was impossible on such an uneven slippery surface. I had to scoot along on my butt so I wouldn’t fall off. The first three were difficult enough but I managed to free them. It was the last one that made my whole life change course. It took all my strength to even jam the bar between the strap and the log without becoming unseated. Even more to break the frozen hold. The other straps had come off with a gradual nudging but the last one popped free unexpectedly and threw me off-balance. With nothing to grab to keep from falling, that’s exactly want I did. The odds against me could not have been more perfect. A 12 foot fall onto frozen pavement and landing flat on my back would have been injurious enough, but, oh, no, I had to land on that big crowbar. As a result, three vertebrae were cracked. What’s worse is that at my age, they never heal or knit. This made walking nearly impossible. The good news is that I now receive periodic epidurals with a pain blocker. I can now walk again without being in agony. Unfortunately, I have reached the end of the page but not the story. That will be in my next post.
This is terrible and I am glad that you are able to walk.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Me too @andriaperry It makes it so much easier to get to see all the other doctors.
@Morleyhunt (16548)
Ouch. It's painful enough when I to the quick landing on hard ground...I couldn't imagine falling that distance and landing on a crowbar. ...now off to read the rest of the story.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@MorleyHunt It wasn't as much fun as one might think.
@Morleyhunt (16548)
@UncleJoe no part of this story sounds like fun. I keep forgetting I'm not 16 anymore and then pay the price for my foolishness....on the other hand....I certainly aren't ready to be retired to my rocking chair with my knitting.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Morleyhunt Me either. I don't know how to knit.
@Platespinner (18472)
My father-in-law drove a log truck for many years. Fortunately for him, frozen straps are rarely an issue in Alabama. I hope you are not currently hanging out in that stretch of time between when one epidural wears off and they give you the next .
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My back appears to be the least of today's problems @Platespinner
@UncleJoe I just read your second post .
@UncleJoe Hitting the "like" button just felt very, very wrong.
How terrible. Glad you are able to walk with agony now.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I hope you mean WITHOUT @Happy2BeMe LOL
@UncleJoe lol sorry about that! Of course of meant without!
I cannot imagine the pain your in every day from that.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My back doesn't hurt so much anymore @LovingMyBabies so other body parts are taking over the pain department.
Sorry that you had such a terrible accident.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Just part of life @Kandae11
• Dallas, Texas
I am sorry this happened to you, Uncle Joe.
@UncleJoe (8513)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Not as sorry as I was @lookatdesktop LOL
• Riga, Latvia
Glad that you can walk will put you in my prayers that things go well for you.
Oh good you are better now.
same here.Glad that you are able to walk there.
Dear Uncle Joe, I can so relate and sympathize with what you're going through. I was injured on the job 40+ years ago. My right hand, neck and lower spine were involved. I have lived in debilitating pain since. I am going to see a neurologist soon to see if there is some way for me to walk without pain and walking into things. I haven't told my boyfriend that when we go shopping it takes me almost a week for the pain to ease off. I'm only in my mid sixties and am hurting more than I ever thought a person should. I went on disability when I was 27 and told I would never work for someone again....and I haven't been able to. Right now I wish there was a way I could take on your pain and suffering so that you could do everything you used to do. I am so used to living with pain that a little more wouldn't make much difference for me but it might change your life some.