We Sure Had Some Pitiful Toys Back in the Day

Many of us who grew up in the 1950s and early 1960s had a Slinky. I have to admit compared to the toys of today, the Slinky was a really lame toy. Slinky became a huge hit in 1945 when it was demonstrated at Gimbels Department Store in Philadelphia. The jingle that accompanied the commercial for the Slinky toy really was catchy for the time period: "What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs and makes a slinkity sound? It's Slinky, it's Slinky, It's fun, it's a wonderful toy. It's Slinky, it's Slinky, it's fun, It's a wonderful toy. It's fun for a girl or a boy." I feel sorry for those kids who lived in houses without stairs. That Slinky couldn't have been that much fun if it could not "walk" down stairs. It is rather humbling to think that we thought that a big steel spring was one swell toy. We also stuck plastic eyes, ears, nose, lips, hands, pipe and feet into a real potato to create Mr. Potato Head. Poor us!!!
1962 television commercial for Slinky, one of the world's most popular toys. A helical spring that stretches and can bounce up and down, Slinky was invented ...
Remember Etcha-a-sketch! Those were cool toys requiring some imagination instead of just agile thumbs pressing buttons.
The talented ones among us really could produce some amazing works of art on that Etch-a-Sketch. On those long, long, long driving vacations, my brother, sister, and I fought over that Etch-a Sketch.
• Derby, England
We had an Etcha -a- sketch - thought they were magical! Also a kaleidascope and a friend had a Viewmaster which was also very exciting!!
@catsholiday I remember the kaleidoscope and the Viewmaster too. Did not take much to entertain us!
I had one. And a two-story house. I was in heaven.
Oh joy!! After we tired of it, I think we stretched it to see how far that thing would stretch. That was the end of the Slinky.
@LeaPea2417 (15469)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@JolietJake, slinky's were a blast!
I had a slinky and loved it! We did live in a 2 story house though so it was fun. =) One of us would sit at the top to let it walk down and another person would wait at the bottom for it, then throw it back upstairs.
You guys really had fun with your Slinky! We did for a while, and then I think we ruined it by seeing how far we could stretch that thing out. Not a good idea.
I liked my yo yo and spin the top
I remember playing with that yo you. My brother mastered that thing. I remember my dad playing marbles as a kid. I found Dad's vintage marbles a while ago.
@Corbin5 they are worth some money there.Vintage one.I have a small collection at one time and sold them.What I have is clay marble which I love
@amadeo Yes, there are some clay marbles in the collection. The big steel ones too. I guess those were shooters, but not sure.
I remember these. They were pretty cute really.
They were, but I think we played with it for a while, and then lost interest.
@Corbin5 Yes, it wasn't rocket science was it?
I use to love slinkys lol
We usually ended up stretching it to see how far it would stretch. That was the end of the Slinky.
@Corbin5 us too
@DaddyEvil (22421)
@Courtlynn @Corbin5 You all were cruel to your toys! SMH!
@valmnz (13198)
• New Zealand
Not poor us at all. Our toys were simple, could be used in many ways and made us use our imaginations. I say poor modern kids for having things handed to them on a plate.
Our toys really did engage a bit of socializing when playing with friends and siblings. Today, kids seem to lead a solitary existence sitting in front of that computer or staring at that cell phone.
@valmnz (13198)
• New Zealand
@Corbin5 yep, we were the rich ones
@Daelii (2160)
lol I know the song and pictured it in my head when reading your copy! I came from a later generation... I agree some toys are much better now than before..others just remove the ability to play and dream.
I had the song memorized too and could sing it all by myself. We sure had some simple toys.
That will always be one of my favorite toys. all the stuff they make now is too much for me. Loads of directions and pieces to hurt your feet. I like simple like on little house on the prairie.
I prefer the simple too. I do not like to use anything is too complicated.
I had a Mrs. Potato head when I was young. My kids had a set of three that you could do that with but they were small toys compared to the original potatoe heads. These were a corn, a potato and a carrot. My mother had a metal slinky she let us play with sometimes. I had a plastic colorful one that didn’t work as well as hers did. My kids have tiny ones that are fairly useless.
Yes, I can see that a tiny Slinky would not be that much fun. I found out that the potato was abandoned for Mr. Potato Head, and a plastic one made, since kids were leaving the potatoes under beds, couches etc., and the potatoes rotted and the stink was pretty bad.
@Corbin5 lol what?!? The original used a read potato?
@shaggin Yes, and other fruits or veggies could be used too. I can imagine what a mess a tomato would be.
I grew up on the 70s and I remember that jingle . . . I could actually remember all the lyrics before reading that line in your post! I think our metal slinkies were pretty neat (oh that sound) - I don't care for plastic ones of today - sorry, not the same. Our toys may have been simple, but I think it allowed us stretch our imagination . . . the techy toys of today kinda fill in too many of the blanks for kids.
Yes, we really had to stretch our imaginations to make those toys entertaining. We usually ended up stretching the Slinky to see how long it would be and that was the end of the Slinky.
@Corbin5 I remember all of a sudden the slinky would twist in a weird way that I could never get it to untwist. That made me so mad! And back in the days, if that was the end, that was the end. No way my parents would replace it right away . . . there was no dollar store mentality back then!
@much2say Yes, one Slinky is all we got. I remember the twist thing too.
• Denmark
Slinky didn't make it to post-war GDR (German Democratic Republic). For us, it was dolls, balls, spinning tops, ropes and hoops.
I love the hoops, the dolls, and the ropes. Such simple toys really provide hours of fun. We did not play with tops, but we had yo-yos that had a nice spin to them.
@bunnybon7 (33175)
• Holiday, Florida
and paper dolls? those were the cheapest and easiest to play with. hours of making up stories
• Denmark
@bunnybon7 Do you mean the flat ones onto which one could put different clothes?
• Spain
slinkies were cool....and we had spacehoppers and kernockers!!
Oh, I have to find out what spacehoppers and kernockers happen to be. Love those names.
• Spain
@Corbin5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHftISLNHE we called them kernockers in the UK and spacehoppers are in the photo
@bettyboo47 Oh, thank you. Now those look like fun!!!
I am not sure if I had a slinky when I was a kid but I remember them and have sold some. I think they are cool.
They were fun at first, but after a while, we got tired of playing with them. Good thing the Slinky was an inexpensive toy.
@Corbin5 Did you know Deborah that they are still around today?
@Hannihar I have seen them for sale online, just the plastic ones, but not steel Slinkys.
• Derby, England
I would have loved a slinky as a child. I had a bicycle and a horse and we had pool nearby. I did have a Barbie doll though!
You really did have some fine entertainment when you were a child. My dad and mom said my Barbie doll was in their attic, but my husband nor my son could find it up there. I do not know where that Barbie happens to be.
• Derby, England
@Corbin5 My barbie is long lost too though I do still have my teddy which was given to me at birth and I also have my father's childhood teddies
@catsholiday I am so glad you have the teddies!!!
I remember I have the same toy before and its color is rainbow. lol.
Yes, many users have mentioned the rainbow Slinky!! I have never seen one.
I was a late 60`s baby but I had a slinky and I lived it, I want one now.
I want one now too after writing this discussion. We have a ranch house now, but we have basement stairs!!
As a child I loved to play board games - Checkers, Snakes and Ladders -or outside games - like cricket or hop scotch.
I loved playing hop scotch. Just chalk needed for so much fun!!! Oh, and a rock.
I remember slinky's but mine i think it was a pink plastic one. I think i had fun with it. I don't know if i did as i am drawing a blank on that one. Glad you had one you liked so much!
It was fun for a while, and then we lost interest. The plastic ones were safer according to the agencies that oversee toy safety.
@Corbin5 Probably why I had the plastic one as daddy was a worrier
@Marty1 Well, apparently, the steel one could be big trouble if stuck into an electrical socket, thus the change.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I think a Slinky was a fascinating toy, it didn't fascinate for long, but still. I liked a spinning top, was I the only one that struggled to get it to spin?
Yes, the Slinky fascinated for a while. I sort of remember tops we had as kids, and I also had a hard time getting that thing to spin.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Corbin5 good to know I wasn't the only one glaring at that spinning top!