Slow Moving People

photo taken by me - question mark
Preston, England
There are people whose only purpose in life is to be an obstruction and a living pedestrian bollard. Though young and able bodied, (wheelchair, Zimmer frame and walking stick users being an exception to the rule) they move at a slouching slothful pace directly in front of you, and if you try to overtake to left or right of them they somehow manage to stay in your path. They step forward as if someone is in their way though they are themselves the only obstacle on the pavement. Sometimes, the hindrances will walk towards you, and though there is plenty of space either side of you they will somehow move directly at you in a way that makes you thank the gods they are not driving – if you take evasive action, they will manage to move left or right in sync with you. They do not apologise for getting in your way and you may even find yourself inexplicably apologising to them instead. A variation on the theme is the loving couple that hold hands and expecting you to walk round them rather than for them to briefly release their romantic grip to step either side of you. Do they actually think that not being Siamese twins for even a second will mean that their relationship is doomed and that the partner will make use of the release to run off and never be seen again? I imagine them encountering a tree and waiting for it to fall over so they can continue their journey without having to separate. Arthur Chappell
Dog walkers love to hog the whole sidewalk and move at a crawl.
Also, people who walk down the middle of the parking lot, when I'm trying to drive. If they would move to either side there would be plenty of room for my car to drive through. So, I have to drive walking pace until the end of the lane.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Some do that intentionally. Teens in bad neighborhoods are notorious.
@Asylum (47279)
• Manchester, England
There is also the supermarket variety. It never ceases to impress me how easily some people manage to park their trolley directly across the shelf I want to use, even though they are browsing a different shelf.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh, I experienced that the other day. I tendto be polite about it as I move their cart slightly.
@Asylum (47279)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse I try to be polite, but it can be annoying when the same thing happens constantly.
@koopharper (6318)
There is a man at work who is always in the way. Working in the kitchen with him when it's busy is a nightmare. I cannot figure out how such a little guy can take up so much space.
• Riga, Latvia
I am not sure what you mean here. Yes. sometimes elderly people can walk slowly and be a hindrance but with respect to them I always walk around them best I can. Loving couples never bother me. It is nice to see them walking hand in hand and not I am sure they won't try to go through a tree. I don't think that it should matter so much.
Arthur you made me laugh, I was saying to my husband only a few days ago that I want to become a eremite. Every time I go out I have people in front of me moving slower than a paralyzed snail.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck this is really striking chords for many - wow
@arthurchappell When you are in a hurry they seem to take pleasure blocking your way.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuckwhile most people are just not thinking what they are doing obstructing a path can be done as a way of intimidating people trying to get past - it is really pathetic behaviour
@Madshadi (4781)
• Brussels, Belgium
I actually find joggers to be the worse. They act as if they own the pavement/path and they wouldn’t stop even if they would have to bump into you. At least slow people on the road are less dangerous.
Police investigating assault of woman pushed into road by jogger on Putney Bridge in London put out CCTV still
• Preston, England
@Madshadi quite a few cyclits think the pavement is better to ride on than the road too, adding to pedestrian collision / congestion
@Madshadi (4781)
• Brussels, Belgium
@arthurchappell that would be a very dumb thing to do here. Unless they don’t care about paying a huge fine.
• Preston, England
@Madshadi sadly no one takes action againt cyclists who ride the pavements here
Some humans engage in a life bent on frustrating others. Those people who stand there in the aisles next to their shopping carts, preventing anyone else from making their way down the aisle, are the ones that get on my last nerve.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 yes shopping aisle hogs are often the worst, and sometimes they ignore me saying excuse me to carry on chatting or staring gormlessly at the tins of beans
@arthurchappell I just move their trolleys out of my way ...that generally makes them realise!
I walk slowly. Sometimes I walk slower if someone us moaning about it behind me!
• Preston, England
@Poppylicious I suspect a few people have obstructed me for fun
I have experienced everything that you mentioned above - especially the lovers holding hands.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 yes, they take 'let no one get between us' or 'nothing separate us' literally
You know what they say? It takes all kinds to make a world.
Certainly some people seem to take up more than their share of the road.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
I've often said that old ladies with shopping bags should be signed up by Formula One teams. Nobody would get past them!!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
Oh boy...can I relate to that sentiment. I tend to walk at a brisk pace (hubby thinks I walk too fast) and invariably get stuck behind some sidewalk barrier. Earlier this year when I went for a 13 km walk I had to get around a couple...holding hands. I applaud their attempt to lead a healthier lifestyle...but really...they probably each topped the scales at well over 300 lbs and moved at a snails pace. Grrr.
5h
When I am on my scooter I have had that with people when they walk take up the whole sidewalk or move when I am trying to get by and can't before they do not walk straight. It bugs me.
• Bournemouth, England
A mobile phone is often the reason for the slow walking. Those people really annoy me. Different when I'm one of them, of course...
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll put a football move on them and feel good about myself.
The tourists in Manitou do this stuff all the time. I hated it.