Ringing in the New Year

Riga, Latvia
With everyone writing about Christmas and decorating trees I thought you might like to read about how people in Europe ring in the New Year. Will be putting in more. Amsterdam, The Netherlands In The Netherlands people celebrate Oudejaarsayond or New Year’s Eve with plenty of champagne and oliebollen (deep-fried pieces of dough with apples and raisins). The day before the celebrations begin plenty of fireworks go on sale so you can be sure to hear a lot of blasts and see plenty of colorful rockets exploding in the sky. At midnight people head out into the streets or to the bars, which at this time usually open at midnight. The countdown to the New Year usually happens in a large square in front of the Rijksmuseum on Museumplein. You can also party in Nieuwmarkt and listen to big council-sponsored concert in Dam Square. Berlin, Germany Berliner’s are always ready to celebrate Silvester with great abandon. Just be careful since there are enthusiastic people who tend to toss firecrackers and launch rockets right out of their windows. Thousands of people gather together to celebrate at the Brandenburger Tor or Brandenburg Gate an 18th century triumphal arc and well-known landmark. Others head on up to the Teufelsberg (an 80 meter hill) at the northern tip of Grunewald. Personally I doubt if I would head up a hill on New Year’s Eve because I just might come tumbling down afterwards but it is an interesting idea. Others go to Viktoriapark in Kreuzberg and from both places people can watch the fireworks going off across the city. There is also a local Berlin tradition, the Berliner Silvesterlauf or New Year’s Eve Run aka the “Pancake Run” that starts off in Grunewald. Budapest, Hungary Hungarians celebrate Szilvezter and all the residents head out into the streets while big crowds come together in the main squares. At midnight the national anthem is heard and the kissing, champagne drinking and fireworks begin. At Vorosmarty Square a three-day celebration is held from December 30th to January 1, with live music performances. All night long you can get public transportation and most of the restaurants and bars offer special events. The celebrations continue until the next day when a dish known as kocsonya is served. The dish consists of parts of pig’s feet and helps with hangovers. Brussels, Belgium The place to be on New Year’s Eve is Grand Place where jolly and exuberant crowds gather. If you are into a really noisy and high-spirited celebrating then this is for you. There are no quiet spaces to be found and the celebrations spill out into the surrounding streets. Once some of the crowds drift off music is played over loud-speakers and people start to dance. An amazing fireworks display can be seen from the Parc de Bruxelles. How do you ring in the New Year?
In my old age, I am in bed.
At the beach.
I experienced New Year's Eve at Times Square just once. These days back in the Caribbean I welcome the New Year at home with family and friends, and I look at the CNN Times Square broadcast.
• Riga, Latvia
NYC is my hometown but I never went to Times Square in the crowds and freezing cold. I always watched on TV. or was out somewhere partying @Kandae11
My husband and brother-in-law buy those fireworks permitted by the government. They light them and have a big bang just like some of our neighbors too. And when it will be over, we will eat our media Noche or our New Year's feast. The next day, we go to church to attend the new year mass.
@rina110383 (23073)
Stay inside my room and watch fireworks display from my window.
Here, they shoot fireworks off the top of Pikes Peak at midnight. You can see them for miles.
• Riga, Latvia
That sounds really awesome @teamfreak16