Foul-Mouthed Parrot

Riga, Latvia
This is an interesting story that happened in the Indian state of Maharashtra in 2015. There was a parrot who was named Hariyal and it just happened that someone must have taught him to use foul language. As it turned out an elderly woman’s stepson got into an awful feud with her over property. He got so angry that for two years he trained Hariyal to use foul language whenever the parrot saw the elderly lady passing by the house. Finally the woman had enough and she had her stepson and the parrot brought in by the police. When the police seized the parrot the bird was so smart that he didn’t say anything. The bird was kept under observation but didn’t say anything. Finally the police gave Hariyal to the forestry department in Maharashtra. So today if anyone happens to be walking about and hears a parrot cursing loudly it is this one. What would you think if you went for a hike and heard a parrot cursing at you?
• Denmark
I'd think that someone had taught the parrot the curses. The parrot is certainly not responsible for its language. Friends of mine bought a hill myna who imitated the flush of a toilet and the ringing of a telephone perfectly. It drove them crazy.
@bunnybon7 (33165)
• Holiday, Florida
my moms cockatiel used to bark like a dog because of the neighbors dogs barking so much and whistle the theme song to the Andy Griffith show because it is whistling and mom watched that show so much. mimicking birds are just so funny
• Riga, Latvia
So in other words instead of answering the phone they'd be answering the parrot @MALUSE
• Denmark
@RasmaSandra They have a landline phone in the corridor and get up from wherever they're sitting in order to answer it. Sometimes it's real, sometimes it's the bird. The toilet flush is awkward when it can be heard loud and clear while people are eating or in the middle of a serious conversation.
I have never actually heard a parrot talk. . I would love to hear one - without the curse words.
I would not mind the curse words, as long as he talked
• Riga, Latvia
If taught right it can be amusing to hear them talk but if they speak in a screeching kind of voice it can really drive you crazy @Kandae11
@cahaya1983 (9723)
I'm not sure if I would understand unless the parrot starts to curse in English. My sister-in-law has a parrot but he shouts and screams more than he talks. So loud!
• Riga, Latvia
Some of them can get very loud. One of my friends had a parrot that started cawing in the night and once so loud she fell out of bed @cathaya1983
@RasmaSandra I'm not surprised. My SIL said that when the parrot caws it could be heard a few houses away, haha.
I just read that when he was young, Pope Francisco taught a parrot they had at home to swear.
• Riga, Latvia
Now it would be good if the Pope taught a parrot to preach the good word @marguicha
@RasmaSandra I suppose he had time when he was a teen, but now he is too busy
@UncleJoe (8618)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have heard a parrot curse. The owner thought it was funny but I didn't.
At first, I would be amazed that it can talk. But of course, I will afterward think that it was so smart of the former owner to teach him how to talk but so bad for him to teach him curses. Though that parrot is so protective of his master that he never talked when interviewed.
I would find this very amusing.
@bunnybon7 (33165)
• Holiday, Florida
probably laugh my tush off. lol
I would be a bit startled to hear that parrot cursing, but I would also think, "That is one smart parrot!"
It seems to me that birds pick up foul language much quicker than they pick up other words. Birds seem much like children in that respect.
• Riga, Latvia
I think you're right @JudyEv
Parrots are amazing