Odd restriction on payment options

@Asylum (47312)
Manchester, England
My experience has usually been that companies will offer a variety of payment options in order to get your cash. My home insurance is due to expire this month and rather than simply renew I considered changing my insurer. Earlier today I visited a site online and entered all my details in order to get a quote, which definitely seemed a decent improvement on my current insurer. However, the only payment option available was credit or debit card. I prefer not to use this method because it carries the risk of the company automatically renewing my policy next year and claiming the cash. I telephoned the company to enquire about this and explained that I would prefer to transfer the money directly from my bank to their account. The reply was that this option was not available because the company was too large for such a system. That was clearly nonsense because I pay such companies as British Gas and British Telecom this way. That option is also available with Amazon. I can understand why they would prefer to know my debit card details, but also wonder how much business they have lost due to this.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
Business must be good if they can turn it down. They probably just can't be bothered to offer alternatives as most people will just pay up once they've got so far through the minefield of arranging new insurance.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
That is a fair point because many questions can be quite difficult. A hard question for me was how many claim free years I had because it is not the kind of data that you save.
@BellaDoc (754)
• San Diego, California
I agree. Could you use a different credit card for this?
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
I could use my debit card and request a new one after the payment has been made, which would cancel this one and provide me with a new number. The reality is that if transferrng the cash is not acceptable then I will go elsewhere.
• Portland, Connecticut
The fact that they pay fees for the credit or debit card transactions makes their decision rather stupid and better to know up front that theya restupid and find another carrier.
• Derby, England
@BelleStar I agree it cost them for us to pay by card. I prefer paying by card as it is extra insurance
• Portland, Connecticut
@catsholiday Me as well.
That is a good question. I have quit using some companies because of their payment options.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
This is the only poor choice that I have encountered.
I would be a customer they would lose due to their insistence on paying with credit or debit card.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Exactly my opinion. I could have transferred the cash in a matter of minutes, whereas now I shall be using another insurer.
I use my credit card to pay for insurance all the time, not once has an insurer automatically debited my card without me first initiating a payment. Of course I make sure that all the check boxes to allow a renewal are unmarked.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
I cannot recollect seeing any such check boxes.
Mine has an option for me to sign up for IF I want them to automatically renew @Asylum few if any insurance companies want to risk a law suit so they ask permission before renewing.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann That sounds like good news. If I could be certain that the policy would not automatically renew then any payment method would suffice.
• Preston, England
I can understand a company being too small for direct debit payment plans but too large to use them is clearly nonsense @Asylum hope you find a more suitable one soon
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Too large is clearly nonsense, yet the woman expected me to believe this. It was not Direct Debit that I wanted, just the option to manually transfer the money to them.
• Preston, England
@Asylum hopefully you'll find a good deal where that is possible soon
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@arthurchappell I still have 12 days in which to find an appropriate choice.
I would begin to wonder if their motives are underhand.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
It certainly seems odd to restrict options so much.
I use my debit card. I don't like the autopay options some places have because once I signed up for this and the company didn't take it out the same day each month. I don't care for that. So I pay some by check, some debit and some over the phone or go to the site. Sounds like this company you are dealing with doesn't want to make the customer happy. It's all about them.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
I was not referring to Direct Debit. My preference would be a manual transfer, which involves myself using online banking to transfer the money to their account. My intention was to pay the annual fee at once, so the company would not have to request payment.
@Asylum ......Makes you wonder what they think they are doing for themselves. Not much of a set up it doesn't sound like.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@celticeagle It does seem futile to refuse business.
• Midland, Michigan
I prefer it when companies allow payments with different methods which gives us the control over how and where our money is taken from. There are things I pay online where I can only use a credit card although for many I like the option of using a checking account so I can use my business account when there's more in that than my personal funds. But not all of them give or allow me that option.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
In some cases the use of Credit or Debit card only is understandable, such as online holiday bookings. However, the restriction with home insurance is quite unnecessary.
That is an odd reason. What has this got to do with their business being large
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Nothing whatsoever as far as I can see. Clearly she assumed that I would not know any better and simply accept her word.
• Rochester, New York
I hope you are able to find a good company to work with your preferred payment system.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
If necessary I shall simply renew my current insurance.
If they are losing business and there seems no doubt about this then they obviously don't care.
That seems odd to me to. I only have car insurance to deal with.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
It is very odd considering that I am willing to pay 12 months in advance.
They would not get me as a client either. All the big companies that want to know your debit card details, always renew even when you cancel and then it takes forever to have the money back.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
That is precisely my concern. Once the money is claimed against a credit or debit card the onus is on the customer to chase a refund.
@Asylum Exactly and it takes time and the company that cashed do nothing to help. A couple of years ago I was obliged to give my debit card details for an insurance, when I decided to cancel, I also asked to cancel the card and issue a new one. They had a very bad surprise when they tried to debit.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck That is a worthwhile and practical act, but avoiding the necessity seems easier.
@DaddyEvil (22403)
I am curious if you know if the credit/debit card laws are different in England that what they are in America? (There shouldn't be much if any difference since I can use my debit card for purchases there just like here. I believe most countries use similar laws for cards used in their country, no matter where the cards were issued.) If that is the case, then the company cannot simply take next year's payment without you giving tacit permission. (Here, there is always a small paragraph somewhere that says "Leave this box checked to automatically renew your service when it comes due." You take the check mark out of the box and they can't bill your card again.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Interesting. I would assume that the credit or debit card regulations are quite similar in most countries. As for unchecking a box, this would imply that such a checkbox could have been unnoticed a year ago.
@DaddyEvil (22403)
@Asylum Now, that is entirely possible! I have seen the checkbox included in the fine print that most people don't bother reading. (The checkbox was full sized but the language around it was definitely "fine print"! I had so direct light was hitting the paper before I could read the "fine print".) I have seen that checkbox (online) set over to the side of the page where it could easily be missed, also.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@DaddyEvil This is a common practice these days. They never state "Check this box in order to ...", instead they have the box pre checked.
• Derby, England
I am happy to pay by credit car as the companies always send a renewal notice and t that stage I look around and compare prices and if I want to change I just tell the old company
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
That seems fair enough but you cannot guarantee a renewal notice.
• Derby, England
@Asylum So far so good for us.!
Strange as it sounds,they are so rigid that don't accept payment in cash.They would lose a lot of possible business.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
Insisting on debit or credit cards is certainly a sign of the times.
@Asylum It may be the case.Here scanning a Quick Response Code has replaced the swiping cards.
@garymarsh6 (12164)
6h
Probably because it means employing some people to over see this kind of transaction!
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
5h
Oh yes, the good old cost cutting excercise.
@Shiva49 (9664)
Maybe, they should assure no automatic renewal of policy unless you tick that box. Some companies have a take it or leave it policy without addressing the legitimate concerns of customers - siva
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
This is true, companies do not all operate the same, so I am reluctant to take the risk.