My Beef

PIxabay
Winston Salem, North Carolina
My husband has failed me, and neither of our sons was around to take up the slack. Every year we purchase a pasture-raised steer from our former landlord, to keep us supplied with a healthy source of protein. This morning my husband got the message telling him our meat was ready. Unfortunately, there was one catch, it needed to be picked up immediately since one of the seller’s freezers had failed. Usually, my husband picks it up, but he was busy with a problem at work and was not available to make the pickup. So, this afternoon I drove across town to pick up 365 pounds of beef. Our former landlord was kind enough to load it into my vehicle, but when I got it home I was the only one available to unload the boxes (50lbs or more each) and figure out how to squeeze it all into our chest freezer. Our freezer is now full to the brim and I feel like I had a very thorough workout. I won’t beef about it too much, though, since it’s nice to know there is no danger of my family going hungry for a while! Anyone want to come over for burgers?
Burgers? What about a ribeye?
Doesn't that make you hungry @marguicha ?
There are some t-bones close to the top, but the river eyes are about half way down. Give me a month or two and I might feel motivated to dig for them.
@kobesbuddy (19713)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We do the same with venison, fill up our freezer for the cold winter ahead. Beef is a wonderful protein food, quite expensive if purchased at the grocery store.
@kobesbuddy (19713)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner Beef, pork, and venison are what keeps us going, through the winter months:)
@kobesbuddy I grew up not eating pork and aside from a bit of bacon now and again, rarely buy it. Beef and chicken are our staples. We have had predator problems so we didn't do our own meat birds this year .
@kobesbuddy (19713)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner Oh yes, we eat chicken and fish, also.
I can just imagine what a job that was. Was it packaged how you wanted it or did you have to do that too?
It was all packaged in easy to use portion sizes. I wouldn't ldnnit have wanted to vacuum package 365 lb of meat!
@Platespinner That's good it was packaged. We have a vacuum package thingy. It's bad enough just doing a few packs.
The vacuum sealer device only cones out when we process chickens. It hasn't seen the light of day in over a year.
We cannot have that where I live. I don´t know if they have it in other places in my country. But here, in the city, beef has to be slaughtered in a special place with a previous check by a vet.
The beef was processed by a local butcher and the cattle are orobablyucg healthier than the corn fed feedlot variety that end up in the grocery store coolers.
@Platespinner It seems that we don´t have that where I live.
@marguicha we only found out about it because we rented a house from the farmer for a year when we first moved to the area. We used to joke about eating our former neighbours.
@Morleyhunt (16802)
I've done that march to the freezer. Meat is heavy...it can also be a regular game of Tetris trying to get it all to fit. Glad you managed to get it done.
I don't think I could put a piece of paper in the freezer right now. The chickens are happy since I cleared out some old forgotten veggies.
@Morleyhunt (16802)
@Platespinner you store paper in the freezer?
@1creekgirl (8807)
Tell me what time and in an alternate universe, I'll bring deviled eggs, chocolate chip cookies and sweet tea!
Saturday evening!
@Platespinner I'll be there.
@koopharper (6318)
If you were local, we'd take you up on that.
It is a bit if a drive!
@Platespinner Just a bit.
I don't know if I have the gas right now, but could ya email me a steak?
I can email spam, I haven't figured out how to email a steak!
Well, if you have a veggie burger for vegetarian-me, I am coming over.
I can add veggie burgers to the menu for you!
I know one family who does the same thing. They enjoy it because they know what the animal is fed and since they pick it out they can see if its healthy or not. That sounds like a ton of work you had to do to accomplish putting it away. You will sleep well tonight and be sure tomorrow!
It was a LOT of lifting and carrying, plus I had to hang all the way over into the chest freezer to move the last few pounds from last year so they would be on the bottom.
@UncleJoe (8618)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Make mine rare and I'll be right there. Fresh beef tastes more like meat than store-bought.
Grass fed tastes much better than cien fed. Some people think it's too "gamey" but I find grocery store beef flavorless.
@rina110383 (23666)
Me, I want some.
That must taste so much better than shop-bought meat.
It does indeed!
@cahaya1983 (9728)
That was quite a load you had to carry! Fresh beef definitely taste better.
@Scrapper88 (1232)
My mom and dad use to the same thing, but they bought the cow from one of my dads brothers.
• Denmark
How long will the meat last? When will you have finished it off? I've just learnt the word steer (same in German: Stier). I only knew bull and ox. I wonder what the difference is between bull and steer. In German, the words are synonyms.
A steer is a castrated bull.
• Denmark
@Platespinner I've learnt that an ox is a castrated bull. If it isn't, what is an ox then?
@MALUSE A steer is castrated before maturity and is intended for beef. An ox is usually castrated after maturity and is trained for draft work (interestingly enough a female bovine trained for draft work is also considered an ox). Does that help clarify?
That's a whole lot of beef. Anyway, I am vegetarian.
@DaddyEvil (22421)
I am sure you'll feel the "burn" of toting that much meat in and storing it! (I'm thinking your back is going to be sore for a day or two as well... ) Hmmm... what time should we show up for the barbecue? (grinning at you!)