The pros and cons of YouTube

@Fleura (6225)
United Kingdom
Earlier I was replying to a post by @TheHorse and in the process I looked up some songs on YouTube. YouTube is a great tool for many things, from product reviews to guides to repair stuff, and one aspect is being able to look up old songs and show them to friends around the world even when they are from years ago. A long time ago I loved the Blue Oyster Cult, I listened to their album ‘Fire of Unknown Origin’ over and over and I still have it. I was just mentioning it so I thought I’d look it up – and the video made me laugh so much I had to post about it. The thing is that back then I listened to all sorts of music but I rarely actually saw the musicians in question, unless they appeared on ‘Top of the Pops’ or there was a poster in a magazine. I had never actually seen the Blue Oyster Cult – until now. Oh my goodness! I loved their music but I don’t know if I would have felt the same if I had known what they looked like! The hair – the moustaches – the shades - and that gold lamé top! The video starts with a pathetic introduction by the presenter, and at the end of the song he conducts the most cringe-worthy interview ever. And then if you let YouTube run on to the next automatically-selected video, it will probably show you what the same band look like 30 years later – they still sound good! All rights reserved. © Text copyright Fleur 2017.
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... For the house. On the house. Loading... Treat the fam to 1
I remember the days when magazines and TV were the only sources of images of many things.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do you think they were controlled by Russia back then?
@TheHorse I hope you're joking. No I didn't think that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv Me neither.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh--why the movie Spinal Tap is so good? When I was young (like 14), I always wondered what rocks stars did when they got old (like 35).
@josie_ (5196)
Some don't grow old. They overdose.
@BellaDoc (766)
• San Diego, California
@josie_ lol. Word.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@josie_ Well, I've made it past 27. But I'm not a rock star.
@josie_ (5196)
You don't have to watch the video and still listen to the audio. Seeing the hair style and the fashion trends of the 60's make me nostalgic but also make me chuckle at the way we dress then.
@BellaDoc (766)
• San Diego, California
Yes - I like this idea.
• Pleasant Hill, California
The late '60s still seem "cool" to me. The '70s? Sort of like suburbia tries to imitate the '60s. I remember the horror of "feathered" hair.
You Tube is fantastic for music.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's fantastic for a quick listen. But the fidelity is not that great.
@ddnj2006 (606)
Really agreed to that. Like when the air supply as you hear it sounds really nice but when you saw their MTV's, it's like, uh-oh! Really awkward cause maybe it's too old to appreciate since we are in millenium now. Also, for pros and cons, personally the pros, is about my daughter. She is getting fluent watching peppa pig, sofia the first and many other good english cartoons. But the cons was, she is really sleeping late that she cant wake up early in that morning, expecting she was always being late for school. So I'd rather restrict the youtube domain on our router and allow it only every no-school-tomorrow days.
@josie_ (5196)
Our youngest grandson (2yrs old) is learning the ABC's already through You tube. He likes to watch a variety of shows for children including peppa pig. But we also limit the time duration so as not to affect his eyesight and encourage other activities.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@josie_ I like to sing the ABC song and point out letters when I read to littlies.
@Fleura (6225)
There are advantages as you say, but you do have to be careful what they watch, YouTube automatically goes on from one thing to the next and before you know it they could be watching something horrible.
@koopharper (6318)
Back in the day, I didn't know what most bands actually looked like either. Those were the days. The music brings back a lot of memories.
@Fleura (6225)
It certainly does! What were your favourite bands?
@Fleura Too many to count. Where I was living we regularly heard European, American and Canadian bands. There were a lot of them. There was an advantage to living between two major cities, one Canadian and one American.
@Fleura (6225)
@koopharper That sounds cool - where did you live?
I have three of their albums on vinyl, there are several more by them I would like to get. I don't have 'Fire' now but I had it years ago.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Fire?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I want to get Lou Reed's Transformer album on vinyl. I've never owned it. CD would not do it justice.
@Fleura (6225)
@TheHorse 'Fire of Unknown Origin' I guess.
It was the 80s, that's what they thought viewers wanted to see. Hey, I still like the way the Beatles finally morphed from the business suits and clean cut not too long hair into the really long hair, beards and normal clothes ..... yeah yeah, I know, only a hippie would say that, right? Just sayin....
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, the Beatles were cool when they went cool.
They started kool I think or was it Robert Plant @TheHorse ?
@DaddyEvil (22415)
Oh, that was funny! Especially after reading what you thought of their "look"! I don't normally watch YouTube for music or bands, although I do watch the ones starring @TheHorse. (grinning at you!) (Were you aware that @vandana7 claims pony said those of us on myLot who subscribe to his channel don't actually count? )
@Fleura (6225)
My partner would love a moustache like that, he should have been born a decade or two earlier. Now he constantly feels hard done by because he knows he won't get any kisses if he's covered in facial hair!
@DaddyEvil (22415)
@Fleura Poor guy! I'd feel sorry for him if that would make you like his mustache, Fleur!
@vandana7 (57528)
Claims? Give me a break...Pony said he wanted real people to be liking visiting and subscribing ...we did not count as real people..those were his words...pony said that...
• Rochester, New York
I used to listen to them too. lol I can kind of understand the shades as those over head lights must be horrible on their eyes. It drives me crazy to see folks wear sunglasses inside. I figure they're probably dealing with a serious hangover. lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
Nah, theyre just on LSD and sensitive to light.
• Rochester, New York
@TheHorse This guy in my nephews old band used to wear sunglasses inside all the time. It was one sure fire way to tell when he was dealing with a massive hangover. lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LisaSteinmetz If I have a hangover, I'm not doing anything.
@FourWalls (10090)
The MTV era pretty much ruined music in my one-sided opinion, because of what you said: musicians didn't have to be "pretty" (only teenybopper idols had to be) to win fans. I love the song "Brunin' for You," BTW.
• Pleasant Hill, California
When did MTV go over the edge into jive monkey teeny bopper rap garbage? I stopped following MTV a long time ago.
@Fleura (6225)
I love it too - and yes it's a shame if musicians have to be judges on their looks as well as their musical talents.
@BellaDoc (766)
• San Diego, California
Hi Fleur - I hope all is well!!! I love youtube for all kinds of reasons. Right now my children and I are addicted to old Freddie Mercury videos :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good stuff.
@cahaya1983 (9723)
I grew up in the era when MTV and all the other music video channels existed already, so I usually would know who I was listening to. But I agree, with Youtube there's the advantage of seeing how their looks have changed over the years.
@Fleura (6225)
Sometimes it's not an advantage!
@Fleura Haha actually you're right. Can be a huge disapppointment too.
I'm seeing A-ha next year ... I hope they sound as good live {and old!} as they did when i was listening to them on cassette aged twelve!
@Fleura (6225)
Gosh I didn't know they were still going. I'm not sure if I'd want to see my teenage idols getting old, it would sort of spoil the memory somehow.
@LeaPea2417 (15448)
• Toccoa, Georgia
When videos started coming out more with MTV, it was a treat for my sister and I. Before that, we only had magazines and posters to read and look at.