do you prefer to be alone or in a group

i admit im a shy type. at work if theres a group of co workers talking, i felt shy to do the first move unless they do it themselves or at least one of them approaches me. i dont know why im like this. they think im abnormal because i dont mingle witht them but the truth is i dont have a confidence to speak up in a crowd or do the first of the talking. then they will start to gossip with me. is it right?
@nela13 (666)
• Portugal
Why do you say they think you are abnormal? Being shy isn't that bad.
hmmm maybe im just assuming but im just wondering why they dont speak to me. are theyre waiting for my turn. no i cant sorry.
i totally agree with you
@iridion9 (2328)
to be alone is good sometimes.
@josie_ (5094)
A lot of successful people and achievers are introverts and loners. Don't put yourself down or force yourself to be someone you are not just to please others. Besides, "shyness" is not a disease and you can work on it by gradually getting out of your comfort zone. Take baby steps. no rush.
@cahaya1983 (9505)
It's completely normal to be shy. I would much rather be alone than being in a group where people are loud or only care about gossiping.
I am the same way. I do beleive it is a confidence thing.
@jenp246 (10)
i completely agree with you, its not abnormal. Sometimes it just takes some longer than others to open up or even start a conversation. What do you mean gossip with you?
They all look at me while theyre talking. So i feel theyre already criticizing
@mohit459 (2869)
• Haldwani, India
Better to be alone.
@ridingbet (37924)
i can be an introvert but i can be extrovert as well.
Can you pretend you are an actor? It used to be difficult for me because I was painfully shy. I kind of did the old fake it til you make it. Once you pretend you are comfortable talking to others, you actually become comfortable. It's not easy, but start small. Try greeting a cashier when you check out at a store. Ask them how their day is going. If you start small you will graduate to bigger situations.
First of all, all you need is just to smile to strangers for you to caught their attention. If they don't smile back then that is not your problem anymore. A single smile cannot change the world but your smile might lighten up someone's day. So do not hesitate to smile to strangers it might be reason for you to win new friends. =)
@RodrickH (1043)
Both
@moffittjc (35670)
• Gainesville, Florida
You are not alone in this. I am by nature a shy person. But I have to force myself to be outgoing when I'm in a group, or when I'm at work. It is very emotionally demanding to try to be extroverted when you are normal an introverted person.
Exactly but If i pretend to be extovert by speaking up in a group The next day im alone again in 1 corner like i want to isolate myself. But there are times they call me so at least its a start
I usually don't speak up, and I'm fine with that. However, get me talking and it's hard to shut me up. Gossip is never okay, but it does sound like they are trying to include you.
• Nashik, India
There are many people who feel shy to speak up in crowd but it doesn't mean that you are abnormal it is just your insecurity which make you think such kind of things. Just be yourself don't try to compare yourself with others just be the best of you and love yourself the way you are , life is to short to think and waste your time in thinking what people think about you after all nobody is perfect , but one thing every person have perfect which others don"t have :)
@YrNemo (8510)
Confidence will change that... Ten or twenty years from now, you will look back and say, 'I was too shy back then...'
@ARN4567 (112)
Yes, me too I'm a shy type, so shy that I don't even post my picture here, he he...It's normal to be alone, I guess they think we are alone but we are with God, he is everywhere, anytime anyplace, he is here for us...me alone but happy inside...
@dodo19 (28097)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It can be normal to be shy. I don't think it's strange. There are times, when I am a bit shy too. In some situations, I am comfortable with talking to others. Either way, it's fine and not strange at all.
@dpk262006 (54713)
There is nothing wrong if you do not want to mingle in a group, it is your choice. I also feel uncomfortable to be a part of large group. Less the better.
@SAM774 (2225)
I was like that.... So I can feel you.... But don't worry give it a try... This time you approach them... Trust me research say shy people are the smartest... So it's nothing abnormal... You just have to break the wall