I try not to complain about it much

By JJ
But diabetes can be a real b*tch at times. I've suffered from Type II (thankfully I am not insulin dependent yet) for several years now. It hasn't made life real complicated, but it also hasn't made things any easier. It is what it is, is how I look at it. I don't monitor my blood sugar (I should and I'm supposed to), I don't watch my diet quite as closely as I should, I'm lax in making appointments with my doctor (that is a story unto itself), but I take my medications and do try to limit intake of sugar etc. But I guess I need to buckle down and start doing things. For a few months now I've been getting awoken often not by Scar, but by leg cramps. They're nasty, and even after I get up it takes a few hours for me to be able to walk without limping a bit from pain. I used to get them often years ago, but those were from riding a bike for miles and miles in very hot weather and sweating out nutrients my body needed, potassium being the main one. But these...there hasn't been any reason I could think of right offhand. I'm not sweating nutrients out, my diet hasn't gone through any radical changes...they just showed up from nowhere. I thought. But it looks like they could be further signs of diabetic neuropathy in my legs. So I guess even though I really can't stand her, I need to make an appointment with my doctor and see what I can find out. The only thing I am kind of looking forward to is Illinois is changing their Medicaid system. I will still receive all benefits I currently have, but I have the chance in January to change my Primary Healthcare Provider...which means I'll be able to dump this doctor and get someone else. Meanwhile, life goes on... Okay, done whining now.
https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/leg-pain-cramps-treatment#monitor-pain
• Riga, Latvia
Well you should certainly take much better care of yourself. That is how my husband and I got into the awful situation I now find myself in. My husband didn't like doctors and here our medical system isn't the greatest so usually if you feel well you don't go. He started losing weight but then again he had a good appetite and nothing appeared to be wrong. Finally this past July it seemed like he was sick with pneumonia. We had a very cool and rainy summer and he was doing a lot of work in the garden getting wet an all. However even though he took antibiotics his temperature spiked and then went down. BY mid August his daughter who was worried about him and I talked him into going to emergency to be checked out. We took him in mid August and they did tests. He was there for two days and then he was gone. One of the reasons we lost him was that he had sugar diabetes which had done bad things in his body since he never got checked and didn't know about this. This is not written to scare you it is written to say that sometimes no matter how good you feel if something unusual happens like him losing weight you should be checked. Since you know what is with you please take good care of yourself and hope in the New Year you get a doctor who can really put you back on the road to health.
@Morleyhunt (16757)
I'm blessed to have no serious health problems. Leg cramps generally only plague me when my feet are cold. I feel your pain. Hope that there's an easy solution for the leg cramps. They can make life miserable.
@JolietJake , This is not a joke. This is a serious matter. I think you should see your doc NOW.
I think seeing a doctor would be a great idea. It may not be that but why take the risk not knowing. It will also give you peace of mind. Take care of yourself. You have lots of people who care about you.
@shivamani10 (10779)
• Hyderabad, India
Are cramps due to Diabetes? I do not have Diabetes. Still, when I get up in the morning there will be a pain for about a minute and it goes off afterl I take a few steps.
• Marion, Kansas
Leg cramps can be from lack of movement, or getting too cold or hot, or from being low on minerals (electrolytes).
@FourWalls (10061)
Take care of yourself, JJ. We love you and need you here. Plus, who else is Scar going to torture?
@hereandthere (24192)
would vitamin b help?
There are some vitamin supplements listed in the article that may help.
@nanette64 (13886)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JolietJake There's also a product (liquid) called Nervestra.
@peachpurple (10708)
you should stick to the diabetic diet and stay close to the medication. My mom who is type 2 , had stroke when she skipped her pills and ate a lot of roasted grill meats, refused to exercise.
Vince has Type II too but he does monitor his sugar levels. And he has a great doctor but could also go to any doctor he wants to. I'd hate to be tied to a doctor I didn't like. It might be time you bit the bullet and got checked out - or at least started monitoring your sugar levels.
I remember you telling me that you had this back around the same time that you were hospitalized earlier this year. There are so many awful complications that can result from type 2, I don't like to see my doctor for it, but I don't have enough "good" reasons to support not going. And it doesn't sound like you do either, so suck it up and see what she has to say-hopefully its something of some use.
You need to start taking better care of yourself--monitoring your levels, eating right, seeing the doctor regularly, etc. Diabetes is no joke as you very well know. My mother was a nurse for 30+ years and always said that diabetes was the one disease that you NEVER wanted to get. She saw it all in the hospital. /lecture
I know how horrible cramps can be, because I get foot cramps all the time--I know it's not the same, but it can hurt like hell. I'm so sorry you're going through this
I get those occasionally after I've been standing too long...they seem to hit right after I sit in the car and am trying to drive.
• Marion, Kansas
My doctor recommends V8 juice for those leg cramps. If you are getting cold, sitting in a drafty space, your body will also deplete your potassium and magnesium, so that may also be the source, if your work place is not toasty warm. Where my computer sits at this time is not toasty warm and I am in a draft. I get cramps.
@kobesbuddy (19599)
• East Tawas, Michigan
That wasn't complaining, it was voicing your issue with people who care. Diabetes is definitely a bummer, I was diagnosed five years ago and do really well on Metformin. My friend Diane has lost most of her toes because of diabetic neuropathy, and she can barely walk now.
@nanette64 (13886)
• Fairfield, Texas
It could be too that you have a low Iron count @JolietJake . You may want her to check into that as well. I get leg cramps alot too and I'm not Diabetic. After taking some Iron pills, I'm fine.
My dad has diabetic neuropathy in his hands, but he developed type II diabetes in his late 80s. I never knew what that was, but I can see how it can become quite uncomfortable and rather debilitating. Yep, dropping the doctor will be a plus.
@dodoazo (11306)
Think what is best and follow it to the rest of your life. Thus, it includes everything. I remember a line from a movie I have seen, "Apothecary". I don't know if you have seen it. It says there: One half is believing and the other half is the taking of medicine. Something like that. Love yourself as God loves you.
I don't know if your wearing socks but when we get leg cramps it goes away a few minutes after standing on a cold floor. If at all possible try it. Have a good day.
@kiran8 (15256)
• Mangalore, India
That is really unfortunate but I sincerely hope you consult your doctor and get proper medical advise. My cousin has type 2 diabetes and used to get leg cramps , sometimes when he turned over while sleeping and it would be very painful. He was advised to drink lots of water , at least 2 - 3 liters per day which seems to have helped him . . Take care
Yes I have it too and its not easy. My legs and feet have been in cramps as well and the doc checked my potassium levels but I have not heard back yet.