Christmas Lights

Marion, Kansas
I love to look at Christmas lights. We drove around the lake community the other night to see what people had up. I honestly was too ill to go, so I do not have a lot of great pictures. This image is of a family of lighted deer. This type of yard decor has become very popular. Many people and communities opt for plain white lights and that is festive as well as the colored lights. I remember when decorating your house with lights was not very common. My mom, judgemental soul that she was always commented about one particular house that had alternating red and blue lights outlining it, "That house looks like a tavern." It is amazing that I remember that almost sixty years later. I do not know if other countries do lights the way we do. I particularly like large drive through displays.
I keep meaning to drive out to the park and shoot some video of the light display out there, it's pretty decent
• Marion, Kansas
I imagine you will get some good shots, @JolietJake . @UncleJoe the Emporia Zoo will have a drive through display we want to see.
@peachpurple (10707)
I thought those were fire in the house. Didn't realized that those are lights and one of them is a reindeer
• Marion, Kansas
Yeah, not as great a photo as I would like.
@peachpurple (10707)
@GardenGerty its ok, better than nothing
@UncleJoe (8617)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Our city has a magnificent display along our boardwalk. It is shut off to pedestrian traffic so cars can drive along and look at the displays for $8 a car, It's half-price if you go in the day time.
@BarBaraPrz (17588)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Should be free in the daytime...
Our neighborhood is full of lights too. I love driving around enjoying all the beauty too.
• Marion, Kansas
It brings back a lot of memories for me.
@GardenGerty My dad used to take us into the city of Chicago to view the Christmas displays in the store windows on Michigan Ave. Quite a thrill that was.
• Marion, Kansas
@Corbin5 I remember once going to downtown Oklahoma City and walking around looking at window displays. I still was most impressed by the shiny blue store front of Russel Stover Candies that was a permanent part of the building.
Hmm do taverns light up that way I don’t visit them enough to really know or does she just mean the big neon signs they usually have?
• Marion, Kansas
This was in the 60's in Oklahoma. I know some bars had lots of neon lights, etc. My mom loved to use fancier words than necessary for everything.
@GardenGerty I’m 34 and rarely go to bars. I can count on two hands the amount of times I’ve been in one since I was old enough to drink. I’m to shy.
What are drive through displays? I love looking at all the decorations at night as well, though I opt for daylight now with my poor eyesight. I'll be glad when I can have cataract surgery.
• Marion, Kansas
@UncleJoe explains it pretty well. I know of one at a free zoo about an hour from here that we will probably go to this weekend.
@Destesh (104)
• Kenya
The lights are much pretier at night
• Marion, Kansas
Yes they are. I wish I had gotten better pictures.
@BarBaraPrz (17588)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Looking at a tasteful display of lights is nice, but a lot of people go overboard with them. Also, the new LED lights just don't have the same effect as the old incandescent ones did.
• Marion, Kansas
Those LED are pretty wild.
@dodoazo (11335)
Every year we hold a Christmas Festival of Lights. Our public plaza is well illuminated with different Christmast lights. Our city hall and city council are riveted with Christmas lights.
• Marion, Kansas
That must be a joy to see.
I love it. I particularly like the Nativity Scene on the lawns of the Methodist church in my area.
• Marion, Kansas
I knew a family that as a tradition got up Christmas morning and walked around to Nativity Scenes at churches near their home.
@Rollo1 (16725)
• Boston, Massachusetts
When the kids were small, I used to drive them around to see houses that had nice decorations. I have never decorated outside myself, it wasn't something my parents did, either. I would love to, but it's all the expense and hassle. Still, I can enjoy what others have done to celebrate the season.
• Marion, Kansas
I would love to get a collection of artificial trees and make a forest in front of my house. I treated myself to a whole bunch of evergreen wreaths to put on windows and doors out front.
It's not nice being ill around this time of year.
• Marion, Kansas
No it isn't. I had such an awful headache.
Some houses here got to a lot of trouble but a lot don't bother with decorating outside the house.
• Marion, Kansas
I do greenery moreso than lights. I bought a bunch of wreaths this year.
@Frenzys9 (114)
That is such a wonderful Christmas tradition! I still love doing this, and I’m a grown adult lol
I have not decorated this year, at all.
I love looking at Christmas lights as well! We love doing this with the kids. =)
It is a "show" you can enjoy for free.
I also love looking at the Christmas lights.