Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 47 Jeremiah 49 49:1 Concerning the Ammonites, thus says the LORD; Hath Israel no sons? Hath he no heir? Why then doth their king inherit Gad, and his people dwell in his cities? 2 Therefore, behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will cause an alarm of war to be heard in Rabbah of the Ammonites; and it shall be a desolate heap, and her daughters shall be burned with fire: then shall Israel be heir unto them that were his heirs, says the LORD. 3 Howl, O Heshbon, for Ai is spoiled: cry, ye daughters of Rabbah, gird you with sackcloth; lament, and run to and fro by the hedges; for their king shall go into captivity, and his priests and his princes together. 4 Wherefore glory thou in the valleys, thy flowing valley, O backsliding daughter? That trusted in her treasures, saying, Who shall come unto me? 5 Behold, I will bring a fear upon thee, says the Lord GOD of hosts, from all those that be about thee; and ye shall be driven out every man right forth; and none shall gather up him that wanders. 6 And afterward I will bring again the captivity of the children of Ammon, says the LORD. What do you trust and rely on? What is important to you? Many people run after material wealth, believing status is everything. God sent the Ammonites into captivity, just as he did the Moabites. Ammon is another son of Lot, nephew of Abraham, whom God protected from the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God’s question to Ammon concerned what she relied on, where she got her strength. God told Ammon that because she didn’t rely on him, he would send her into captivity, and if they go into captivity, God promises to also return them to their land. Like Moab, God did not destroy Ammon, only punished her. As Christians, what do you trust and rely on? What is important to you? God called Ammon a backsliding daughter. Many Christians wander from their faith in God, and Jesus their Messiah, running after the things of this world, which only satisfy for a season, but never last. Soon the gilt of the world tarnishes, and you see exactly what you ran after, and how pointless it all was. When the end of your life comes, there is only one thing that matters, and it isn’t how much wealth you accumulated, but your faith in Jesus Christ and your trust in God. Jesus told the people that if someone tried to sue them for their coat, they should give them their cloak as well. Material wealth has no importance in God’s kingdom, not when he has already given you all things to enjoy. Matthew 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42 Give to him that asks thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Spiritual wealth should be the most important thing in your life – faith and trust in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, which produces the fruit of the Holy Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, gentleness, and self-control. Beside these there is no law. Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (KJV) Let’s pray: Father, help me seek only that which is important, spiritual wealth, faith and trust in you and not go after the world and the wealth that tarnishes. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 6 December 2017 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
• Pleasant Hill, California
I try to ACT on religious beliefs. Whether or not there is a God, separate from the minds of humans, I know I am doing good when I help poor kids have a chance. Sometimes I can feel Jesus (or "the Rabbis," if I'm feeling Jewish) in the room with me.
That's a great thing you're doing with those kids.
@alberello75 (13511)
• Genova, Italy
We must not create treasures on Earth, where thieves and burglars can steal. The treasures are those of the Kingdom of Heaven (I hope to have well translated)
You did wonderfully. And you are very right.
@alberello75 (13511)
• Genova, Italy
@just4him Indeed, I have practically nothing for this earthly life
@alberello75 You have treasures in heaven.
Spiritual wealth can never be stolen from you , unless you allow it to be stolen by backsliding and worshiping earthly treasures.
True, and I'm doing my best not to let that happen.
Amen. Thanks for this I forgot it was coming.
You're welcome. Have a blessed day.
@franxav (3728)
I want to be rich in spiritual wealth.
It's good to be rich spiritually. Have a blessed day.
Thank you, for sharing that. It was a big help for me today.
You're welcome. I'm glad it was helpful. I never know when the Holy Spirit is going to touch someone.
Another good bible study that you wrote.
Thank you. I hope you've had a blessed day.