French singing icon Johnny Hallyday dies at 74

Los Angeles, California
Singer Johnny Hallyday has died at 74. The name probably means nothing to most of you but in the French speaking world he was a revered icon and institution. Hallyday was the Elvis (his idol) of France for over 50 years selling 100 million plus records and massive concert draw. The last of his famed free concerts at the Eiffel Tower in 2009 attracted 500,000 spectators. Known just as “Johnny,” his fame is difficult to explain to the English speaking world. Think Elvis times 10 he was that famous. Hallyday split his time between Paris and Los Angeles. He once stated he was glad to be unknown in America because living in Los Angeles allowed him to enjoy anonymity and freely walking around unrecognized. He possessed a gravelly voice and his rock style was influenced by his own acknowledgement by Elvis, Chuck Berry and other early American rockers. Hallyday was also a movie star. He died at his Paris home losing a long battle with lung cancer. The countries of France and Belgium are officially in a state of mourning for the greatest singing star the French language has ever known.
Rock ‘n' roll fans in France are mourning a national pop legend often compared to Elvis Presley. Johnny Hallyday died from lung cancer aged 74. When Elvis Pr...
@FourWalls (9890)
When I looked at that picture that was generated in the list of discussions I thought, "Man, he looks like Al Pacino." Hope that doesn't mean something bad for Mr. Pacino. A sad day for his fans and the country of France.
I vaguely recall hearing the name , he was known as the French Elvis. I will find his tunes on Youtube - I have never heard anything by him.
@1hopefulman (20212)
RIP In the area where I live JH was very well known. I lot of his songs that were heard on the French radio were covers of English hits. Here is one song that I like.
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... For the house. On the house. Loading... Treat the fam to 1
• Derby, England
I have heard of him! Very sad so many of this famous folk are dying .. the end of many an era.
Yeah, I've never heard of him. Because sometimes you do at least hear something about these guys.
500,000 is a lot at one venue! That's amazing.
@LeaPea2417 (15252)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have never heard of him. But it is sad to read, may he RIP.
may his soul rest in peace