Explain That To a Two Year Old!

@Morleyhunt (16786)
As a mom of four young children....a 5 year old, a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a newborn...I was not prepared. My father inlaw died suddenly and unexpectedly. My husband was devastated and I had my hands full! The first visiting hours it had been decided that we would take our children (his only grandchildren) to the funeral home before visiting hours started. We had no idea how they would react....but tried to prepare for anything. Arrangements had been made to hav a friend whisk the youngsters away before actual visiting hours began, The children remarked on how Grandpa looked like he was sleeping. Then my precocious two year old looked thoughtfully at the casket. Her innocent young voice carried through the room. Why are grandpas feet covered? As we groped for an answer this same two year old answered her own question. With a satisfied smile...she announced...so no one can tickle his feet. While she doesn't remember...all of the adults in the room remember how this released a lot of anxiety.. From the mouths of babes..... @UncleJoe inspired this discussion. Thanks for reminding me.
• Denmark
I'm sure that this incident has become part of your family lore.
• Denmark
@Morleyhunt Your child's answer was better!
@Morleyhunt (16786)
@MALUSE I liked her answer and her reasoning. Her father (my husband) has extremely ticklish feet. I'm sure that was part of her reasoning.
I love how little kids reason some things out for themselves.
@Morleyhunt (16786)
It was too cute. Whilst that phrase is overused...this was so funny. And this endearing two year old always had a smile that lit up the room.
@Morleyhunt They are just so innocent with their comments. The little minds must be going ten to the dozen trying to work out all sorts of puzzling things.
@Morleyhunt (16786)
@JudyEv this was an extremely clever 2 year old. She reasoned out so many things. She's now a lovely young woman....soon to celebrate her 38th birthday (where did the years go).
@Meramar (1956)
It's lovely how so little children argue about some points which we adults assume as normal. With their smal eyes, they show us to see the world through another point of view.
@Morleyhunt (16786)
So true. The world looks so different when seen through the eyes of a child.
@Meramar (1956)
@Morleyhunt Indeed!
@hostessman (7224)
• Tucson, Arizona
you never know what the youngsters are thinking and what they might say
@UncleJoe (8609)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Things like that take the sting out of sad memories.
@Morleyhunt (16786)
It certainly lightened everyone's mood that evening. There had been so many tears shed. I think we all chuckled at her reasoning.
What a sweet thing to say, and I suppose that seemed reasonable to her.
@Morleyhunt (16786)
It was a reasonable assumption for a two year old to make. It's a sweet memory of a very sad day.
Kids have a way of lightening up the mood. Grandpa would have had a great laugh at that one.
@Morleyhunt (16786)
I'm sure he would have found it amusing. She was such a cuddly little one...
How sweet those little words happened to be on a day full of sadness and tension.
@Morleyhunt (16786)
That was 35 years ago. I can still hear her childish voice forming the question.