Avon Cologne Was Pretty Stinky Back in the Day!

During our middle-school and high-school years, my siblings and I received Avon cologne from our grandmother as Christmas gifts. My grandmother, when she was up in years, found it easier to order cologne for my sister, brother, and me from Avon than going out and about shopping for gifts. It was so sweet of our grandmother to order Avon cologne for us year after year, but boy did that stuff smell awful. My brother's Avon cologne for men usually came in a glass bottle shaped like a car. My sister and I received Avon cologne in containers shaped like kitty cats, puppies, and Victorian ladies. We never wore that Avon cologne, due to the not-pleasant-at-all fragrances those colognes had, but we did write thank-you notes to Grandmother for the Avon cologne. I think my mother placed all those Avon cologne bottles we abandoned, full to the brim, on a shelf in the bathroom. I am hoping Avon cologne smells a lot better than it did in the 1960s. P.U.!
• Denmark
Isn't it high time you tested the current products?
Well, there is someone who sells Avon in our neighborhood, and I did try one of buy one of their new perfumes. Still stinky and it wasn't cheap. I tossed it in the garbage.
• Denmark
@Corbin5 How come that these stinky products are still on the market?
@MALUSE I suppose what is stinky to some, is not stinky to others. It was stinky to me. The company keeps coming out with new fragrances each year, and some probably are OK, but not taking a chance.
@UncleJoe (8640)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Sounds like the package was more valuable than the product.
Yes, the containers were quite attractive back in the day.
@Morleyhunt (16808)
I liked to wear a very light scent called Sweet Honesty when I was a young mom. I now have a severe scent sensitivity. It's hard to be near people who layer their scents.
My sister cannot tolerate scents either. I can remember wearing L'origan Perfume as a teen. Not that bad.
@Namelesss (1021)
I was scrolling through the comments to see if anyone mentioned Sweet Honesty. To this day that is one of my favorite scents and it is the ONLY perfume I have ever smelled that came close to smelling like fresh honeysuckle.
@Morleyhunt (16808)
@Namelesss it was probably the lightest scent they had. I never liked heavy scents. It was my signature fragrance when I remembered to apply a bit.. So many fragrances stank when I applied them but this one kept its scent true on my skin.
• Preston, England
I've known a few Avon agents including my mum in the 70's and a male friend did it too a few year ago
I think people make a nice amount of extra money selling Avon. I think Avon products have improved.
@Corbin5 depends how much people buy, and how many people buy as to what you make if anything.. i sell and all items are good these days
@Courtlynn I tried a perfume a while ago, and it was not one I liked at all. I do think the products have improved.
@tzwrites (3820)
It smells pretty good, at least the ones we have in Europe now. I mean the fragrance doesn't last long but it's not too bad.
That is good to know the Avon fragrance has improved.
@Corbin5 Yes a few of my friends like 'Little Black dress' - funnily enough they still do two from the 60s - the Musk and Timeless.
@tzwrites (3820)
@welshbabe I think the Musk is the one that smells pretty bad
• Austin, Texas
I remember there was once a time when I loved to shop and buy things from Avon, for myself or as gifts. I can even remember when Avon started a clothing line. But you know what really amazes me about Avon? That company is still here! Talk about reinventing your image, changing your product lines, keeping up with the technology, and STAYIN' ALIVE!! What a remarkable business success story! Avon is a part of the "I'm so old" jokes collection. You know those jokes where people say "I'm so old _________." Well! I'm so old I remember when Avon skin softener was recommended for use as an insect repellent. Do you remember that?
I do. And it is still a big seller. Now Avon sells wipes that are infused with that skin softener. My husband uses them in summer when he takes Molly to the dog park. I am so old that I remember bobby pins. Does anyone use those these days??? My mom did my sister's entire head using bobby pins to make her hair curl. What a job that must have been.
Yes I remember SSS and the insect repellent stuff - think they updated it a lot and its lost its distinctive smell but they still do the oil spray.
• Austin, Texas
@Corbin5 - I remember bobby pins.
My ex wife was an Avon salesperson and done very well with this.
Yes, a lot of Avon sellers made some very good money.
@Corbin5 and yes it was stinky stuffy.
@LeaPea2417 (15473)
• Toccoa, Georgia
You know, I have memories of being given cologne like that as a kid , that smelled awful.
The scents available were not appealing at all. I think Avon has improved over the years.
@LeaPea2417 (15473)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Corbin5 Yes, they have improved.
@sallypup (22104)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I have a neighbor lady who wants to be "friends." She is an Avon seller.
Yes, we had a neighbor her selling Avon. I did buy some lotion, but that was about it.
The funny thing is that for a while those containers were said to be collectors items .... I just can't figure out who the heck would collect them.
Oh there were lots of very pretty bottles so I can understand people collecting them. Many more on sale in USA than in UK though.
@welshbabe My mom saved them all. The ones for girls and ladies really were pretty and unique.
Me neither. I found so many in my parents' house, and I just donated them to the charity shop here.
My husband and I used to pick up people's unwanted items and we had a whole box of the old Avon collectible bottles, some still full. Yes they smelled really bad but they were neat!
The bottles were the best part. The cologne was way too powerful.
@Corbin5 I agree! We had a tank, football players, a car, the ladies and a girl jumping rope.
@Corbin5 Yes do you recall in 60s and 70s they also did lovely little tubs of cream perfume - so cute - I did have one once that was like a basket of peaches. Christmas time they always had lovely different bottles -and even stick perfume like a lipstick - great for your handbag.
@moffittjc (35772)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, this post brought back memories! My own grandmother used to buy my brother and I Avon cologne when we were growing up. And yes, I had the cologne in the glass bottle shaped like a car! haha I never wore the stuff, because like you said it didn't smell so good, but I sure liked all the cool shapes of the glass bottles!
Glad this post brought back some memories. My brother never wore the cologne from our grandmother either.
@moffittjc (35772)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 I always thought it smelled like old people! lol
@moffittjc It did!!
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My grandmother use to get Avon cologne for Christmas each year, from my cousin Nancy. Even with the cap screwed on tightly, it reeked an over-powering odor, that no one could tolerate! She never used it, even once:(
That is so true. The scents were overpowering.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 My grandma hated those colognes!
@ilocosboy (33307)
I think Avon cologne smells better now still I prefer other brand of cologne and perfume.
I think the colognes smell better too, but I always go for my brand that works for me too.
@Raelove (15589)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, I bought so much Avon back in the day. As for the bottles the scent came in, many of those are now collectors' items. I never cared much for any of their cologne's other than Odyssey, which I still like. I no longer buy it, but my daughter gave me a bottle recently, which, considering the extent of my social life, is going to last a very long time!
My cologne lasts a very long time for the same reason!! I like the other Avon products, but have not come across a cologne that works for me.
@Raelove (15589)
• Saco, Maine
@Corbin5 That's really the only one I ever liked. Remember those little mini lipstick samples? Do they still do that now?
@Raelove I don't think Avon has those mini lipstick samples, but I sure do remember those!!!! I think my mom had the little tube samples and she would let my sister and me look at them, but we were not allowed to give them a try. As a teen, I was allowed to use a little bit of light pink, and I did use some of those samples.
I can relate to this as I had an aunt that sent me that sort of stuff every year. Like you I never used it, but always thanked her nicely.
I am just glad that my grandmother was a 6-hour drive from our home. She may have questioned our non-use. It was pretty powerful stuff.
@Corbin5 Yes, my aunt wasn't near either, thankfully.
@jaboUK Whew! We were both safe!
Yes some fragrances could be quite smelly but some were quite nice. I also used to have the 1960s bottles - all collectable now. I have two dark green ones that come out every Christmas - one is in the shape of a candle and the other is a boot. I wish Avon would still do those fancy bottles. I the UK we never get those pretty Christmas bottles any more,
The bottles really were the best part of those perfumes in the 60s. We had some cute kitty cats that were white. I haven't checked if Avon still sells pretty Christmas bottles here.
@Corbin5 Oh I still get Avon and no, no pretty bottles now - such a shame. I've got one old one that looks like a painted egg and husband has an aftershave one that was like a motor bike. I even got one for a friend like a large thimble.
@welshbabe You really have some unique bottles. I do think so many actually sell those vintage ones, and come to think of it, I never see vintage Avon bottles in charity shops here.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
I never liked it either and sure won't spend any money to find out if they are better these days.
I tried a cologne a few years ago from Avon, and I had to throw it away.
@fishtiger58 (30715)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 I love to yard sale and it's amazing how many of these avon perfumes in the cars and such people are trying to sell lol.
I could never wear Avon fragrances. They all give me a headache. I worked with a lady who would bathe in their perfume and I was so sick at the end of the day from breathing in that smell.
Those Avon perfumes really are far too strong to endure. I tried a new one, and boy, it was awful.
@Corbin5 someone gave me Imari as a gift. I wore it once and had to shower to remove it. LOL. I gifted it to a friend.
I used to get Avon or Amway products here in Israel and now we do not have anyone that can get them and sell to us now. I never got cologne so could not tell you if it smells better or not.
The colognes may smell better now, but some still are pretty stinky.
@Corbin5 I have never gotten any from them. I found a perfume I like here and get that Deborah. Sorry they did not have a good smell.