She turned down everything.

canned food.
Roseburg, Oregon
This friend of ours said they had more bills than money to pay their bills. I told her that we had six months worth of food that I just bought from working for two days. That we had no money to spare but she could come over and have one of each of our food for her family of three. We have lots of canned goods. Everything you can think of. Canned corn, green beans, peas and tomato sauce. Hamburger helpers, noodles for spaghetti and beans for chili. We have lots of hamburger, pork and chicken. Eggs, milk and lots of juice. I even offered her some liquid laundry soap, fabric softeners and dish soap. She looked at the bags of french fries and tator tots. She said none of this is the brands of foods that we use. She did not want hamburger, pork chops etc. She wanted to know if we had any steak. I told her we only buy steaks for special occasions along with pork spare ribs because of the high cost. None of the stuff was what they ate. So she did not take anything. She left to go to the food bank.The food bank is not going to have steak. Oh while I tried. The picture is mine taken by me. The canned food goes all the way back.
@Morleyhunt (16809)
Does she expect to go to the food bank with a grocery list and just pick everything she wants off the shelves? Sounds like she needs a reality check. Steak? Really....okay, I understand that you might prefer one brand over another...but free...I'm just not that picky.
We separate big packs of hamburger etc into quart bags which is enough food for the two of us for one meal. She said she likes meat in the original packs. It is cheaper to buy family packs and divide it up. They do not like hamburger helper. We had the wrong brand of vegetables, chil and noodle products.
@UncleJoe (8640)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@jstory07 That's what I do. Buy in bulk and then separate into meal-sized packages before freezing.
That is one of the most ungrateful things I have ever heard. Even if you had steak you don't take the most expensive things! And if you are in desperate need of food for your family you take what is offered. She is in for a big surprise at the food bank.
more food we have.
I did not say anything when she said she was going to the food bank. I think she wanted money. We do not have extra money on a fixed income.
@jstory07 That is just sad.
I don't understand. She won't be getting anything better at the food bank.
I do not think she has ever been to a food bank before.
@nanette64 (13932)
• Fairfield, Texas
@jstory07 Boy is she in for a surprise.
What an ungrateful friend! I can't believe she would turn down your kind offer. Hasn't she ever heard the saying that beggars can't be choosers?
I guess not.
@dragon54u (31339)
Wow. I guess they are not desperate enough yet to help themselves. Most store brands are made at the same place the name brands are, they just put different labels on the product. If I buy the off-brand Nalley corned beef hash I am probably getting Mary Kitchen or another name brand. I find it astounding how picky people are. Last summer, my ex and his wife were passing out water to the homeless--every Sunday they pass out water, clothing, Bibles, snacks, and try to take special requests. They pay for it from their own pockets. That week was a bit tight for them so she bought store brand water and was asked where the "good stuff" was. Only half the number of people who normally take water did so that day. What ungrateful fools.. It was so good of you to offer to share your surplus, even though it would cut into your emergency supplies. And good for you for having that! All to many people don't realize how quickly food will run out if there is an emergency. It would take just 48 hours, if that, to have stores empty of food and riots start if something happened to interrupt the supply chain.
Yes I know that off brands are the brand name food but most people do not know that.
That is really rude. She should have been thankful you reached out to her. That just shows you, why her bill is like what it is because she's picky with what she gets/wants
This reminded me of your story about that homeless couple who was picky about the food being offered to them by that woman at Panda!
@much2say I know, same here. I can't believe some people are so picky. If they need food, they'll be happy to accept anything! Uh -_-
@much2say What is wrong with people.
That was very nice of you to try and help them. We also, only buy certain brands of food for certain foods, as we're picky also. But if we really need something we take what we can get.
That is how I feel.
@jstory07 well hope she got some food
@Courtlynn She got some money from others. I will not give people money. We are on a fixed income.
Dang. Anyone who had any sense would have been pleased to choose the foods you had to offer. Seems like she and her family live far above their means.
A neighbor told afterwards that she went to her house and someone else's and got a total of $40 and never asked for food. So she just wanted money.
@jstory07 That is really discouraging to learn someone would do that.
@nanette64 (13932)
• Fairfield, Texas
@jstory07 That is shameful.
@Madshadi (5015)
• Brussels, Belgium
She is so picky. If I didn't have food for my family I would be grateful for whatever a friend offers me in such hard time.
I have been in that spot when we had six kids living at home and I was grateful for anything that someone gave me.
@Madshadi (5015)
• Brussels, Belgium
@jstory07 I suppose she wasn't in great need after all
@Madshadi Yes I think she just wanted money.
@sallypup (22104)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Oh what a weirdness. That was a very sweet gesture that you made. This reminds me of the time my husband- a social worker at the welfare office- had me buy shampoo at the Dollar store for a client. He handed the lady the bottle of shampoo. She looked at it and said it was not her brand. His answer: I bought that with my own money!! Take it or leave it. She at least had the grace to say that she hadn't known that he had spent his own money on it. I am weird myself cause I buy 25 pounds of brown rice and lentils etc. My cupboards would be even harder to go through than yours. My Mom never acknowledged that she had eaten peanut butter when she was with us cause we made the peanut butter and there was no label.
If you really need something the brand should not matter.
@sallypup (22104)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@jstory07 I agree. We also buy our oatmeal in 25 pound bags. Mom never figured that she ate a lot of oatmeal here cause we did not use those little sugared instant oatmeal packets.
@nanette64 (13932)
• Fairfield, Texas
@jstory07 When your guts are growling; you'll eat anything. Trust me.
Wow. Just wow. All that food/stuff you generously offered - sheesh - and she doesn't want it because of the brand ??? How ungrateful can she get?!
I would eat any brand if I needed food.
@jstory07 Seriously, I would too! She may not have gotten actually money to pay her bills, but you would have saved her from incurring any more bills for food. What a shame - her loss.
@much2say That is the way I looked at it.
That was very nice of you. She is so ungrateful. What you offered her will be better then what she will get at the food bank. If she only buys the best of food that could be why she has no money to pay her bills. Some people just leave you shaking your head.
I will never offer again.
@jstory07 I don't blame you. I wouldn't either.
Gee that old saying beggars can't be choosers come to mind after reading your post. If the food pantry has steak let me know and I'll be there
Yes me to. I elped at the one in Colorado and it was rare for them to have meat.
I think she is full of it, she wanted money. If she was hungry she would have taken that food.
That is what we figured. She got $20 from two of the neighbors So she got $40 total that we know of..
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!
That was what my husband said.
I think that is very ungrateful of her. As they say beggars can't be choosers. We have been hungry a few times and I ate anything given to me and I was grateful for it!
I think she wanted me to just give her money and that was not going to happen.
@JustBhem (22746)
• Davao, Philippines
Woah. I really don't understand people at times. We offer them food but instead of taking them, they will choose food that they really like and not the food we normally have. I call them rich kind of people. Sometimes I just laughed at them.
I think she just wanted money. I did not give her any.
@JustBhem (22746)
• Davao, Philippines
@jstory07 I think so. It happens all the time here, especially with beggars.
You tried to help her out and that is all you can do.
That is all that you can do.
@jstory07 Judy, you did a very nice thing by offering and nothing you can do if she turns you down.
@nanette64 (13932)
• Fairfield, Texas
That makes no sense to me @jstory07 . I don't care if it's Heinz or a Dollar General brand. Food is Food!!!! Ya know what you should do? When she comes back from the Food Bank, ask her to share some of that STEAK that she received.
She will be lucky to get any meat at all from the food bank. Also I do not think she went to the food bank at all. She got some money from some of the neighbors and I think that is what she wanted.
She sounds stupid and rather ungrateful too.
That is what I thought.