***Admin Post**** Reminder on abusive and malicious reporting.

A few recent occurrences have given me reason to pass on this reminder. Malicious reporting is something that will not be tolerated. Not only is it not nice, it makes our job more difficult. It means having to sort through pages of false reports and clear their reported tags, since the posts are likely not going to be removed if they aren't a genuine violation. Reports are generally anonymous. This means that my moderators and I can't see who reports what. But, in cases of extreme abuse, we can have someone look at site logs and find the names of abusers. Abusive and malicious reporting is grounds for immediate termination of your account. If you are unsure of what to report, refer to the community guidelines, and as always, I am more than glad to clarify something and take all the time needed to do it. But If you are reporting things just to be mean, you will be removed.
Some people think that every time they report a discussion is deleted and unfortunately they use this mean as personal revenge toward some members. I am glad if you can see who those users are. Personal Attacks are against the rules after all.
@topffer (30796)
• France
It just shows that they are not smart. Banning them will improve the IQ here.
@topffer This reminds me of the NZ prime minister who thought it was good that so many New Zealanders were going to Australia. He reckoned it would improve the IQ of both countries. Very clever comment but I have an idea I've told you that before.
@topffer (30796)
• France
@JudyEv Lol, you started a discussion about this comment, and I thought at it when I wrote mine. A proof that I am an attentive regular reader of your discussions.
So I am taking it this is much more than people reporting things that they are not quite sure violate the guidelines?
I'll just say that there was a case or two that caught our attention.
@GoAskAlice looks like some one's been busy taking their pitiful revenge or something.
@EddieHands (33088)
@GoAskAlice I am so happy to finally see some justice on here.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
If a member clashes with another personality, it's best to just avoid contact with them. We all have different thoughts and ideas, about a given subjects.
• Marion, Kansas
@Bluedoll and @kobesbuddy I have learned over the years that some of the people who seem abrasive to me are not, really, but their intent is misunderstood due to cultural differences. I tend to avoid them if they really bug me. I do not think reporting would solve the problem. I also do not believe either one of you does either, I just was adding that in. Communicating is the key as @Bluedoll says.
@kobesbuddy (19737)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@GardenGerty We kid around and use harmless terms, that other cultures perceive as an insult or name calling! If they get their feelings hurt, what can be done about this?
@yugocean (4700)
Some people just report without understanding, this report is to help the admin to keep the site clean; but some people thinks this is for anything they don't like.
• Portland, Connecticut
That is really terrible that someone would abuse the system just to be mean, most people on here are so nice and caring. I take the report button very seriously and use it very, very sparingly.
@sjvg1976 (14714)
Thanks for reminding. I am missing an option for the reason of reporting a comment or response like it was in the old Mylot. May be then someone who reports will clear why he reported.
@kiran8 (15288)
• Mangalore, India
Yes I agree it does make it easier and also is a detterant to those who report without a valid reason.
• Marion, Kansas
I agree as well.
@Daelii (2160)
that would be neat to add a reason why its been reported. It might also stop an accidental report from happening when its not intended! which I've accidentally done before!
boy am I glad to hear that. I do my best to report only those kinds of discussions that are trying to promote their business, if I'm not mistaken that is not legal here, am I correct?
Thank you for sharing this post @rebelann.
@dodoazo (11383)
@LadyDuck copy. This is very informative. Thanks for sharing. Anything we find anomalous or the like and seemingly violating the guidelines we are free to report it. There's a button about "report" and it's up for the admin or the moderators to decide. This is the only way we help myLot purging those violators and abusive, spammers of myLot.
• Marion, Kansas
@LadyDuck Sometimes those milestone posts are imbedded into an actual discussion with more information. For instance I could post "To celebrate my birthday today, we went to such and such an attraction" . The reason this attraction is famous is blah, blah, blah, and I feel fortunate to have so much in my PayPal to use because I have met my myLot goals." I threw a couple of milestone things in there, but the discussion is mostly about the attraction. I think that guideline DOES need to be revised, as well as the "recipe" guideline. There really must be something to discuss in said posts.
thank you.Funny I never come across on this.Guess I am missing something.lol
It isn't something a member would really notice.
@GoAskAlice I see thank you
@ramapo17 (19129)
• Melbourne, Florida
Me neither.
• Derby, England
That seems a very fair rule to me
@EddieHands (33088)
Hi Susan ! it sure is.. and it has happened to me many times.. Blessings !
@EddieHands what happened to you?
@EddieHands (33088)
@hereandthere people keep reporting my posts for no reason
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Thank you for letting me know about this discussion @LadyDuck . @GoAskAlice I am happy meanness will not be tolerated here, thank you for the reminder.
You are welcome Catherine, I always share the informative discussions of Alex.
I only use that button when its necessary and would never "cry wolf" or use it for any other purpose of revenge.
@sallypup (22104)
• Moses Lake, Washington
How do I get rid of spam private messages? I just got one today that is very much spam- asking for my financial help for somebody in a foreign country. Thanks.
Do you mean delete them, or stop receiving them?
@sallypup (22104)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@owlwings I have tried to delete but never found the trash can. I did just change my settings. Thanks to you and @JolietJake. For sure I did not invite somebody from overseas to come to me with their hat out, begging for big cash.
@sallypup the trash can is either on the upper left or upper right corner of the private message.
@pgntwo (21769)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Malicious reporting, now that's an opportunity just waiting to happen... Nice to hear reporting's anonymous
Except some of these ninnies might think since it is anonymous they don't have to worry about being caught for doing it maliciously. They must be idiots that think 'report' = 'deleted'.
@pgntwo (21769)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JolietJake Report and delete, interesting combination.
@pgntwo For some reason there are several here that think the act of reporting is why content gets deleted.
@EddieHands (33088)
I have been abused by malicious reporting by some haters on here. No wonder they have stopped doing it so much! I am glad it's now cause for their termination. Keep that in mind abusive reporters! haa finally some justice!
What makes you believe this had been happening to you?
The guidelines are pretty clear. The only thing I've ever noticed was a few posts not in English. Are these targeted reports? Like someone turning in a specific member or members repeatedly?
@WendySpickerman Generally it would mean the intentional false reporting of posts, usually targeting a specific person, simply for the purpose of trying to get their post deleted out of spite
@GoAskAlice That's a shame. I've never had any problems with any one here. Well, that I know of. Everyone is so nice.
Reporting just to be mean? That's awful. =(
@ElicBxn (60083)
I'm glad to hear that Alex. I have only a few times, back in the old days, ever reported anyone, it that was generally for non-English posts.
@nitirrbb7 (950)
That is a valid concern personal grudges should not be masked under report or abuse. False alarm are very time consuming for the moderators who already have much work load.
@averygirl72 (14205)
That's really bad practice. We should only report as needed not to be mean to other members
That's good to know. I haven't seen it, but I have seen where some people wondered why their posts disappeared when they didn't violate anything.
• Pleasant Hill, California
If they did nothing wrong, their posts shouldn't disappear.
@TheHorse I agree.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@just4him I think Admin looks at posts that are reported, but doesn't delete them unless they violate a rule. I think I had one deleted because I used a picture of my ex- (and still a good friend) in which she was scantily clad, though no "naughty bits" were showing.
Thats a bit dangerous isn't it? the person who reports it is anonymous? when did that happen? You have our account names here, right? unless it's some one outside mylot, if that's even possible.
It's anonymous in that those of us directly working the board cannot see the name of who reported a post. But those who have "under the hood" access to the site can go in and view the source of the report if the need arises. We don't make it a standard practice of looking at who reported what unless a specific incident warrants it.
@GoAskAlice Well, people had been making false reports lately.
@Letranknight2015 Yes, there have been a few cases of it. But with out me saying so, there is no way for anyone to know it was happening. the posts that were reported in error were not removed. Simply reporting a post does not get it automatically removed.