Disaster Averted! Dinner Will Be Served!

@Morleyhunt (16716)
There is a recipie for a casserole that my husband really enjoys. Last grocery trip I made sure I had all of the ingredients and because he's had a trying week at work I thought tonight he would appreciate some comfort food. As I began to prepare the casserole I remembered a problem I have encountered before with this meal. The sauerkraut jar! The size of the lid makes it difficult for me to remove when it is sealed tight. Often I'll get my husband to open it before he leaves for work. Had I remembered in time this could have been done, but no...I forgot. Now I stared at the jar. Several attempts had been unsuccessful. What to do? Eureka! Let's try rubber gloves! That worked like a charm! Personally I have an aversion to rubber gloves...but today....they are my new favourite kitchen helper. Supper is in the oven and will be ready when hubby gets home!
• Denmark
I'd like to hear you pronounce the German word Sauerkraut! :-)
@Morleyhunt (16716)
You'd be surprised...I'm Dutch and we call it "zuurkool". I studied German for three years in Highschool.
• Denmark
@Morleyhunt How do people pronounce it who only know English? How do they pronounce the 'au'?
@MALUSE I pronounce the 'au' like the 'ow' in 'cow'. Is that right - sort of?
We have a gadget in a drawer somewhere that is supposed to open any jar. I think it probably would if I could find it.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
In my mind I was picturing different gadgets (knowing I didn't have one) and trying to come up with a workable solution. I can be very resourceful when necessary.
@Morleyhunt Sometimes you can grip the lid by jamming it in a door - at the hinge end but there is always the potential for a major disaster if it breaks or spills.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
Maybe a big pair of vise-grips?
@Morleyhunt (16716)
They would need to be very large vice grips. The thought did cross my mind...but I knew that the vice grips in my tool box were not large enough to grasp the lid.
@Morleyhunt That's what I mean by big...maybe I should say 'custom-made'
@Morleyhunt (16716)
@JolietJake I wonder if I could get a pair of vice grips that size....then the challenge would be getting my hands on the vice grip...
I too doesn't like to wear rubber gloves, especially when washing the dishes. I felt I don't wash the dishes well. ha ha ha Good thing, you have that rubber glove and helped you open that.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
I told my husband I had an aha moment. Finally a use for the much disliked rubber gloves.
@tammys85 (8675)
I'm glad it worked! I never thought of using rubber gloves to remove a tight lid. I'll have to try that next time I cannot get a jar open.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
It was a light bulb moment. I had no idea if it would work, but had nothing to lose. I was so pleased when the lid just turned easily with the rubber gloves. I guess I'll need to keep them around.
@tammys85 (8675)
@Morleyhunt I think it's a great idea, and I'm glad you passed it on. :)
I tap the lid with a dinner knife, gently tap. Another trick I use is to put said knife under the lip of the lid and pop the lid - not pry it off, just slightly lift the edge of the lid until it pops. Comes off real easy.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
The large lids have evaded almost everything I've tried in the past. A few years ago we resorted to picking a hole through the lid...then it came off easily...but the recipe only uses half the jar...so then I had to find another container to store the rest of the jar. This was surprisingly easy. The lid is simply to big for me to get a good grip.
@Morleyhunt For my arthritic hands it's just too hard to get a grip on any jar.
Glad you found a solution...hubby will be so happy.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
Who would have thought that the rubber gloves I detest would be so useful.
@Morleyhunt You just never know so you?
@KrauseHome (33379)
I have ran into 2 items so far today with my husband being at work that I could not get open. Might have to consider getting some rubber gloves and trying them when he is not around.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
I don't know why it took me so many years to find this solution. Good luck with your stubborn lids.
I love sauerkraut but also have trouble trying to open those darn jars. I'll have to remember your tip next time I have as stubborn jar to open.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
One of those aha moments. Brought on by desperation.
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
LOve the never say die attitude. Lol
@Morleyhunt (16716)
I can be determined...
@UncleJoe (8566)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I always hated rubber gloves until I started changing diapers.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
Adult diapers...certainly...but infants ...I just wash my hands...a lot!
@Platespinner (18536)
Glad you were able to find a solution. I use rubber gloves for rolling pet fur off of clothing and furniture.
@Morleyhunt (16716)
I've used them for that a time or two...Fifi was notorious for furrishing my furniture.