Has anyone ever has a bad lobster experience as a child?

Pixabay image
Rochester, New York
When I was around 6 years old my dad brought home a live lobster. It's claws were banded closed, but it was writhing around in a bucket on the floor. One of the guys he worked with doing construction went out and bought one for himself and got another for my dad. Mom put on a big pot of hot water and brought it to a boil. I was sitting in the dining room drawing when I heard the most horrible, painful screeching sound I had ever heard. I burst into hysterical tears because it was so loud and my heart was hurting so much because of it. I ran into my bedroom on the other side of the house and could still hear it. I literally climbed out my bedroom window and ran to my friends house next door. She and her mother were standing outside listening to it. It was the middle of summer so all of the windows were open. Thanks to that day I will never ever eat lobster. I'm 48 and have never touched it and have no intentions of ever doing so.
'Lobsters have no vocal cords, no organs of any type for audio communication. It's just not possible for them to "scream" in any way we could hear, in any circumstance.'
Customer Service Login    View Your Cart SEARCH PACIFIC EDGE:      Fiberglass Bait Tanks     Singles     Doubles     Bow Tanks     Accessories   Polyethylene Bait Tanks      Accessories    Cutting Tray    Sizes / Print Out    Installs & Customizing    Used
• Rochester, New York
Whatever the noise was it was loud and horrible.
@LisaSteinmetz Perhaps they were scratching against the pan.
Yuck! Pressure probably.
• Rochester, New York
Probably, but at the time I thought differently.
@LisaSteinmetz .....I can imagine.
Gosh, I've never heard of that. I wouldn't be eating lobster after that either.
Lobsters can't produce audible sounds. The noise was likely pressure escaping the shell as they were boiled.
• Rochester, New York
I refuse to and get nauseated when I see someone eating one. I can't go to Red Lobster at all.
I've always thought that boiling them alive was a barbaric practice, and I have never eaten them.
• Rochester, New York
I think it is barbaric and is a horrible thing to do.
@dgobucks226 (6642)
That is a very traumatic story Lisa. I have boiled lobsters in the past, but did not like it. Now, on the rare occasion I have lobster I would either have it at a restaurant or have the store broil it for me.
I've had plenty of lobsters in my day and never heard one scream. It must have been the claws scratching against the metal of the pot. Lobsters don't make verbal sounds. Too bad that ruined lobster eating for you.
I've never eaten lobster so I have neither good nor bad experiences. Whether is was screaming or not {and even if it was just pressure making the noise}, it still must have felt pain and the noise would have confirmed that in your impressionable young mind. What a horrid experience. :(
Oh wow that's awful I have never had lobster before.