It's Never Too Late

One of my hanging baskets last summer.
By Jabo
United Kingdom
My daughter said some years ago, to live abroad she had to go, we'd miss each other very much but there were ways to keep in touch. The phone's expensive, mail is slow and then she said "Before I go I really think that you should get connected to the internet." Could not believe that she meant me, a technophobe of 73 ! Though I had travelled far and wide computing I had never tried. Next day we went off to the shop, we liked and bought a small laptop, my daughter set it up for me explained how things were meant to be. So now with fingers deft and sure (I'd never even typed before), I utilize my new-found skill to cruise around the world at will. I'm an addict, there is no doubt computer I'd not be without, and though I'm still a technophobe I've made new friends all round the globe. I really didn't touch a computer until I was 73, and I was 74 before I wrote a poem. Did you find a new skill late in life?
I learned to swim at age 42. Our son, at age 9, taught me how to swim. He was an excellent teacher. So good to hear your daughter taught you a skill that has served you well.
@Corbin5 Yes, our children sometimes turn the tables on us by teaching us things, instead of the other way about. Your son was very young to do that for you though
@jaboUK He was what the instructor for the 3-year-old swim class called a "natural born swimmer." He always wanted to be underwater as a baby, and he would cry when we brought him up for air. We started off with little pools for him and the pools just kept getting bigger. Finally, my husband had an in ground pool installed in our backyard, thus my need to learn to swim. My mother was afraid I would drown in that thing due to my tendency to sleepwalk.
@Corbin5 Oh my, I can understand your mother's fears!
@Madshadi (5015)
• Brussels, Belgium
That’s nice. I’m in my mid 30’s and I just learned how to drive a car recently. When one has to
@Madshadi Good for you. I learnt to drive when I was 18, and can't imagine not being without a car now.
@Madshadi (5015)
• Brussels, Belgium
@jaboUK yeah a car is a must nowadays
Congratulations! Things are different than when we had to go to the post office with our letters and wait until forever.
@marguicha Yes, it's a completely different world now, isn't it?
@jaboUK Yes. And it is not that easy for us to get into the new era.
Yes I am always evolving to what is needed to make it in the world, however, I still love the hand written cards an letters.
@andriaperry I agree with you - an e-card is not very personal, is it?
Congratulations for both your new skills. I was only 29 when my husband bought the first personal computer, I already knew how to type. I can say that gardening is my new skill, I never planted a flower or a vegetable before we moved to Switzerland 10 years ago.
@LadyDuck I came to gardening late too, I was in my 60s.
@jaboUK I was close to 60 when I started gardening.
@DEMI12 (593)
• Guangdong, China
@LadyDuck so you are good at gardening now?
That's admirable. Maybe there's still some hope for me, I want to learn how to build a computer. **rubbing chin** Uhhh, maybe I'd rather become an herbalist **still rubbing chin** I got it, I want to learn how to be an insurance agent ...... I figure I already like and know how to use computers so that's half the battle won, right? I like your poem a lot. Currently I'm teaching myself how to learn new habits .... good ones of course.
@rebelann Good luck with learning new 'good' habits, and I'm pleased you like the poem, thanks.
How to learn a good habit is not the same as Learning a good habit @jaboUK I'll tackle the latter if I decide the how to is worth it. You're so very welcome. It's hard to believe you've basically only just started writing poems.
@rebelann Yes I'd never even tried any poetry when I was younger.
@Morleyhunt (16808)
I learn new things all the time. You may be a technophobe....I'm technologically challenged...but my daughter tells me I have an advantage over many others with the same challenge....I'm willing to learn.
@Morleyhunt Be willing to learn is more than half the battle
@Morleyhunt (16808)
@jaboUK and the things I have learned. Once I move I won't have a nearby techie to help me. I'll be figuring more and more out by myself
@Morleyhunt I'm lucky in that I have a 'nearby techie' too. I'd be at a loss without him when things go wrong.
Great poem. I am glad you went and got tgat laptop that day.
@Happy2BeMe Thanks Laurel, and I'm pleased you liked the poem.
• Midland, Michigan
I like the story-poem you wrote here about how your daughter introduced you to the internet. I knew some of this. I'd been wanting to write online for quite a few years before I found bubblews and now mylot. I did write a few articles on hubpages and have been making more each year from one of them, which is passive income for me. I've probably been writing online for around ten years now, and I was somewhat forced into running our business completely around the same time although I did do a lot with it before then. I didn't have to work it everyday if I didn't choose to.
@MarshaMusselman That's interesting that you are still making passive income from something you wrote years ago. Thanks for liking the poem.
• Midland, Michigan
@jaboUK the one article that is still bringing in income has 44k hits thus far. In the beginning it took about two years to get paid, but possibly its happening yearly now although I've not studied it. It's the only thing I've written that would be considered evergreen.
@MarshaMusselman What's it about?
@ridingbet (38163)
hmmm, i cannot remember any new skill that i have developed at this age of mine.
@ridingbet You might discover something new by the time you get to my age.
@ridingbet (38163)
@jaboUK oh, i really wish to reach your age. that is why i am taking care of my heart to not stress it because i cannot yet have the operation.
@ridingbet I'm sure you'll make it Ingrid, good luck.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I can't think of any new skills, I am currently plodding along with those I have, Janet. Love this poem, showing just how skilful you are @jaboUK
@bluesa Nice of you to say so Catherine, thanks.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Good for you and you are never too old to learn new things. I am a late bloomer. I learned computer graphics later in life and went out on my own to be self-employed.
@Hannihar Well done to you for going into business on your own later in life.
@jaboUK Thanks Jabo.
@DEMI12 (593)
• Guangdong, China
yes, never too late to learn. your daughter is right and see you use computer very smoothly now.
@DEMI12 I would hate to be without my computer now
@DEMI12 (593)
• Guangdong, China
@jaboUK me too, with my ipad and my iphone
Yet another great poem!!! I remember you mentioned that you didn't use a computer or write until you were in your seventies. Kudos to you! I started serious walking for exercise later in life and enjoy it, just as I enjoy keeping in touch with friends and family via technology, too.
@DianneN Walking is a very healthy hobby to have Dianne
@jaboUK I agree. I think I will add Osprey watching to my list. Lol!
@nanette64 (13932)
• Fairfield, Texas
See? You're never to old to learn @jaboUK . Excellent poem and I love those flowers in the picture. I waited until the age of 56 to get a Commercial Drivers License (semi trucks) and age 58 to get a degree in Criminal Justice.
@nanette64 Wow, I didn't know you had a degree in criminal justice.
@nanette64 (13932)
• Fairfield, Texas
@jaboUK Yeah, and little did I realize that it wouldn't do me any good because as a Felon, I can't work in any of those fields.
@dodo19 (28132)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It's still never too late to learn things. My mom went back to school and got her BA and MA in Film studies in her 40s. I'm almost 30, and don't have a driver's license yet, but I'm almost there. I have a learner's and hoping to get a license soon.
@dodo19 Good for your mom, and you too - good luck getting your license.
@dodo19 (28132)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@jaboUK Thanks. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I still think it's impressive that she did it in her 40s with two kids.
@JustBhem (22746)
• Davao, Philippines
I poem that turns into a discussion. Wow. I admire you.
@JustBhem That's a kind thing to say, thank you Bhem.
@JustBhem (22746)
• Davao, Philippines
@jaboUK You are welcome.
Wow, so you still have coped up with the internet and laptops. That is good, because it means your brain is still sharp.
@SIMPLYD Yes, and I still keep my wits about me by doing brainteasers, crosswords and sudoku.
@jaboUK That's how it should be, when we are already getting old. They keep the brain active and sharp.
@ilocosboy (33307)
maybe as the flowers in your photo said it, late bloomer, but hey the blooms are more beautiful
Thanks, that's a lovely thing to say.
@ilocosboy (33307)
You are welcome
Love the poem and you're right, it's never too late. I was probably in my 40's before I touched a computer. I was very familiar with the typewriter. The computer was a Godsend to me.
@just4him And now you are learning how to lose weight
@jaboUK Yes, I am, and it's going very well so far.