Comb doesnt rhyme with bomb or tomb. Pray, why?

@xFiacre (10497)
Ireland
I switched my bank to another while Mit kept his eye on the door, the teller with pigeon-fluff dandruff told Cecil his cat was a whore; she'd been seen by the queen with an unneutered Tom who went deaf when he set off a bomb, now he'll weep and he'll wail like the Japanese quail that I've posted to You in the mail.
• Denmark
I could have answered your title question when I was studying English at uni. But now I've forgotten the peculiarities of the English pronunciation through the centuries.
@xFiacre (10497)
@maluse If you know the route each word took on its way into the English language then you could figure out its correct pronunciation, but who has to time?
• Denmark
@xFiacre Etymology is a thrilling topic! If you don't have much time, go to There you can learn everything of interest concerning a certain word at one glance. Re: bomb http:///browse/bomb?s=t
I do like a bit of Japanese quail. I look forward to it arriving in the mail.
@xFiacre (10497)
@poppylicious Pity there's not much meat on a quail, Japanese or otherwise.
@PatZAnthony (11813)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Just funny...guess we could also expect to read about his time in jail.
@SAM774 (2224)
I tried once but I fail..... Does it rhyme with mail.... Lol... Nice poem you have written... Well done